GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2001 12:17:24 EST
Gassa,

I was not arguing for or against the reasons the UDP/PPP colaition decided to
boycoitt the elections, but if what you say is true, there are indeed many
inconsistencies in their position, but it would appera that there are also
incinsistencies in the position of PDOIS because the ydid participate in the
elections organized under Roberts and are preparing to partivcipate in the
national assembly elections. I gues there are incinsistencies all over the
place.

My point was that given the allegations of foreign voters voting in the last
electionsa, coupled with the last minute decision by Gabriel Roberts to
change the rules at the last minute ans allow those not on the register to
vote, and with the allegations of shuffling around of voters from one
district to another and the report that there will be more voters in some
areas in the coming elections than in the presidential elections, it seems
that there are all kinds of illegalities in this process and to participate
in it is tantamount to acceptance of them. Therefore, I think that the
right thing would be not only to boycott these elections., but that the
opposition parties should have embarked on an effort to bring the
presidential elections to a halt in view of the last minute shanges made by
Gabriel Roberts and which should have made anyone "smell a rat"
I will let the UPD/PPP alliance argue their own reasons for the boycott and
the inconsistencies.
Of course, my main point was to let you know that you continue to argue about
the merits of so called progress being justification for  your support for
this regime even as they violate every law, abuse every right and turn  our
country into a ploice state.
I fail to understand why supposedly intelligent Gambians cannot demand
progress along with the safeguard of our civil and constitutional rights and
freedom of speech etc. A distatordhip does not have to be part of the so
called progress. It is not the  progress we need to debate, but the
lawlessness and tyranny. That is the problem and should be a problem to be
addressed by all of us, instead of just paying lip service to structures
erected by this  regime when they are infact robbing us blind and living
extravagantly and tortuting, locking up and silencing anyone who talks avout
these things. I know you give a semblance of criticizing them and nothing has
happened to you, but you are a pawn in their mind game Gassa.

Jabou Joh