GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Solomon Sylva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:15:34 -0500
Sad ending to George Weah's National Football career.

When shall we African appreciate someone like George Weah and learn to
use that to our developmental advantage?

Good grief! If the allegations are true, then we definitely need to wakeup!

Peace
King Solomon

Tuesday, 29 January, 2002, 10:45 GMT
Weah's last stand

Weah wants to spend more time with his family
By BBC Sport Online's Eniwoke Ibagere in Mopti

Liberian legend George Weah made his final exit from the international football stage, saying
he had achieved everything he possibly could. But despite helping to put Liberia on the world
football map, Weah, 35, has vowed not to return to his country unless there is a change of government.
"I have discovered that I'm a wanted man back home in Liberia because the government there doesn't
like me," Weah told journalists.

The Lone Star's influential captain and former World Footballer of the year was mobbed by fans after
his side's 1-0 defeat by Nigeria in an African Cup of Nations match on Monday night. The defeat meant
that Liberia were knocked out of the tournament.

Weah had always said he would retire from international football after the Cup of Nations and, as he
did so, he took a swipe at his government. He claimed the country's leaders were jealous of his popularity
and success. "I did everything in my life to make Liberia a great country through football," Weah said in
an emotional farewell speach. "But I cannot understand why the Liberian government should be hounding me.
So I will not return to Liberia until there is a change of government."

Weah, who now plays his club football in the United Arab Emirates, said as well as it being his last game for
Liberia it would also be the last time he would coach the national side. "Now I want to concentrate on playing
for my club and give time to my family," he said. "But this doesn't mean I won't be useful to the Liberian players.
Many of them are my friends and we have had a fantastic time all these years.

"I will be most happy to help the players get contracts for clubs but it's definitely over for me after helping
Liberia to play in two Nations Cup finals." The striker, with a nomadic career playing for clubs in Cameroon,
France, Italy and England, said his one regret was not taking Liberia to the World Cup finals.
"It is kind of sad that I couldn't realise that dream but maybe it was never to be," he said.

"But I think this is something the new generation of Liberia should take seriously and many of us will be ready
 to help out." Liberia narrowly missed qualifying for the World Cup in Korea and Japan when Nigeria pipped
them by a single point to clinch the group's sole ticket. In his glittering career, Weah won several football awards,
including the 1995 World, European and African Footballer of the Year.

He won the French FA Cup with Paris Saint Germain and the Italian League title with AC Milan.
The striker also had a semi-professional musical career and won many humanitarian awards.
At the 2002 Nations Cup, he will also be remembered for doing what he does best.
He scored the tournament's opening goal - a header - in Liberia's 1-1 draw with hosts Mali.