GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 01:29:37 -0600
Hi folks,

I received the message below from Sam Husseini on Thurs., Jan. 6, and thought to
pass it on.  Some of you might recall an e-mail I sent out way back ("Speaking
of speaking up") seeking people who had informed opinions on African affairs to
contact the Institute for Public Accuracy (IPA) about being included in their
database of experts.  This is another e-mail to encourage you to do just that,
if you have not already.

IPA puts out press releases that provide media outlets with contacts of experts
on current and topical issues.  The service is valuable, and I can attest to
that because I've located guests for my talk-radio program through them.
Indeed, I am hosting Sam later today on my program on WORT FM, Madison, WI.  I
would encourage you to register in the IPA database because you would be a
valuable source of expert opinion about African issues. For Africans especially,
this is important given how often we are short-changed by the media.  At the
same time though, we are, probably because of a culture of state media-monopoly,
very reluctant to enage the media, and are in general media-illiterate.  The IPA
database is an opportunity to stop our whining, and begin to speak up for
ourselves.

I would also like to point out that IPA has all kinds of experts on their
database.  For this reason, I would also like to encourage African-Americans and
other seldom-heard voices to take this opportunity to make themselves more
accessible to the media.  You can reach the IPA Web site at:
http://www.accuracy.org  Check out the News Releases links
(http://www.accuracy.org/press.htm) to get an idea of what the releases are
about.  Finally, you can reach Sam at (202) 347-0020 or by e-mail at

And do pass this on!

That's about it!  Have a great weekend, and best wishes for a HAPPY and
PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.

Katim