GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 05:29:35 -0500
Lamin Manneh PF,

I promised myself not to comment further on this particular issue but your
posting deserves at least an acknowledgement of the unemotional manner you
handled this delicate issue.

My position has been and continues to be that the land tenure issue needs
to be revisited to further rationalise the classification procedure to take
account of local/traditional tenure systems, sectoral requirements etc. The
review will certainly take into account not only the investor's interest
but also the equity issue raised by Jabou.

The Overseas Development Administration (ODA) published a study
entitled "Land Resources Survey of The Gambia" in , I believe, 1972 which
is a good starting point. Dr Jeng of N
ARI who contributed earlier in the
discussion should be able to assist since he is/was in possession on the
only copy I had but I am sure those in the UK can get a copy from DFID.
Katim Touray and Mini may wish to check with the Land Tenure Center of UW-
Madison to see if a copy is available in their excellent library.

I thank you Mr. Manneh PF, for your valuable contribution to this important
issue which requires the urgent attention of Government in addition to the
related issue of decentralisation of local government administration.

Sidi Sanneh