GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:53:17 -0500
Mr. Jassey-Conteh:

I join you in calling for a united effort to peacefully bring an end to the
corrupt and inefficient APRC government.

However, I think your comments on immigrants could unleash xenophobic
sentiments that will certainly not help in de-tribalizing Gambian society.
You have particularly been championing the cause of a united Gambia, if my
memory serves me right.  As you have been saying in this forum there is so
much inter-marriage among Gambian families that we're all linked into one
homogeneous family tree.

Your stipulation that Sir Dawda's government was more tolerant towards
immigrants is rather inaccurate.  Let's not forget the massive "ramass" of
Guinean Fulas every year in all major Gambian towns, let's not forget the
callous arrest and deportation of Senegalese women accused of prostitution,
and the list goes on.

It would be prudent not to point accusing fingers at 'foreigners' for
whatever mess we have in The Gambia today.  It is Gambians who are in our
parliament, who run our various ministries, who picked up guns and shot and
killed our children.  We have to debate President Jammeh on his policies and
not his ethnic background.  Mr. Jammeh has a full right just like Jawara to
be president of The Gambia.  What he does not have right to do is to engage
in actions that are detrimental to the well-being of Gambians.  And no
Gambian, irrespective of ethnic background or social status has that right,
you may agree.

Our First and Second Republican constitutions have clear provisions on
citizenship. I'm quite certain those who have acquired citizenship through
marital and other status have the same rights and duties as those who
acquired it by birth.

I also look forward to the day when we, as Africans, will cease seeing each
other as foreigners in the boundaries imposed on us by colonialism.

Hamadi.

Ps.  I posted this earlier on, but it went directly to Mr. Jassey-Conteh
instead of the List. Please disregard if there is a duplicate message.