GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:06:46 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:18:20 -0800
From: charlotte utting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] FW: ADNA Update: ADNA Working Groups

Although this is long and will not be of interest to everyone, it does
provide an impressive view of all the advocacy work that ADNA is doing in
the DC area. - Charlotte

----------
From: "Nunu Kidane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:34:11 -0800
To: "ADNA E-mail List" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ADNA Update: ADNA Working Groups

ADNA Update: 020403
Message from: Advocacy Network for Africa
For contact information see also:
http://www.africapolicy.org/adna

Advocacy Network for Africa (ADNA) Meeting
March 5, 2002

I. UPDATES FROM WORKING GROUPS:

Peace and Security Working Group:
We wanted to identify ourselves so we prepared the following
mission statement:

The Peace and Security Working Group is formed within ADNA to
research, educate and advocate on security, peacekeeping and
conflict resolution
in Africa. It will focus on nonviolent and non-weapons based
resolution of conflict. It emphasizes negotiation and \or third part
intervention so that parties involved actually own their conflict and
maintain responsibility for their solutions for durable and
sustainable peace and development.

We have also set an agenda for our work:
? To scrutinize the restaffing of Africa bureau of the US State
Department: Paul Olweny;
? To see how the African presidents initiative will be modified. To
follow any policy changes that might result from the new US
administration's approach: Paul Olweny;
? To collect all the anti-terrorism laws in Europe, the US and
Africa: Marcel Kitissou.

We want to contact NGOs and share our experience with them.
The P&S working group's next meeting will be March 14th at 10am
at the Center for International Policy, 1755 Mass. Avenue
The question was raised: What about child soldiers, small arms
transfers and landmines? A recommendation was made that
consideration be given to identifying issues with "policy handles".

Sudan Working Group:
Assistant Secretary of State, Charles Snyder recently said that the
US will hold firm to the humanitarian goals stated in the Danforth
proposal.

Telar Deng and Haruun Ruun from the New Sudan Council of
Churches will be in town next week. (At this point we do not know
exactly when they will come). Please contact Kathy McNeely for
more details. Mr. Snyder confirmed that John Garang (one of the
Sudanese rebel leaders) will be visiting the US soon for high-level
talks with the State department. It is rumored that Riek Machr will
come with him.  In conjunction with the recent release of the Call to
Solidarity with Africa document from the US Conference of Catholic
Bishops, a conference will be held on the Sudan and the Congo, on
March 11th from 1:30pm - 5:30pm at the Catholic University Law
School. You can contact Mike Perry of the USCCB for more details.

The Sudan Working Group put out a draft strategy with regard to
advocacy in 2002. If you would like to see or contribute to this
document, please contact Erin McAllister.

The Post recently ran an article on slavery redemption programs
and exposed some of them as scams. Leon made the point that it
may be best for ADNA to continue focusing our efforts regarding
Sudan on the Peace process.

The next Sudan working group meeting will be held on March 13th
from 10am -12 noon at the RFK Center for Human Rights near
Dupont Circle.  NEPAD (The New Economic Partnership for African
Development, formerly the New African Initiative):

Mark Harrison urged us to read the NEPAD document if we have
not already done so. The document can be found on the web at
NEPAD.ORG.  Also Partnership Africa Canada recently put out a
critique of the NEPAD document which can be found at
partnershipafricacanada.org.

At the last meeting, the consensus of those present was that:
The NEPAD document should take account of the voice of African
NGOs;  The document should address the important challenges
that Africa now faces such as debt, trade issues, access to
markets.

Two key conferences are coming up at which NEPAD is scheduled
to be discussed:
? The UN International Conference on Financing for Development,
in Monterrey, Mexico;
? Upcoming G-8 Meeting: Africa is one of the top priorities at this
meeting.

NEPAD was mentioned in recent US congressional hearings on
Zimbabwe; specifically the provision that African governments must
encourage their neighbors to promote democracy and protect
human rights. Also, NEPAD was brought up at the Commonwealth
discussions on Zimbabwe. Some say that the Zimbabwe crisis will
be a "litmus test" for the ability of NEPAD to address crises in
Africa.

The next NEPAD working group meeting will be on Thursday,
March 7th from 10am - 12 noon at the Methodist Building. Steve
Morrison of the Center for Strategic and International Studies will
address the group.

HIV\AIDS:
A draft Urgent Action Alert was circulated. It urges people to call
the White House, the Chairs of the House and Senate
Appropriations Committees and their legislators to urge that the
Bush administration and Congress include $700 million for the
Global Fund for HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria in the emergency
supplemental spending bill that the Bush administration will
introduce on March 18th. The 700 million would bring the US's
2002 contribution to the Global Aids fund up to 1 billion dollars
which was the original target amount we are aiming for from the
FY2002 budget.

It was suggested by the group that a sentence be added to the
Action Alert to make it clear that we are still pushing that $2.5
billion be included in the FY 2003 budget.

Please contact Heather Nolan for more information about the action
alert.

Right now, a bill sponsored by Senator Durbin is the only one that
includes 2.5 billion for global AIDS\Healthcare. We have asked
Senator Arlan Specter to co-sponsor this bill.

March 10th is the deadline for the first round of proposals for the
Global Fund.

Towards the end of March, when legislators return to their districts
for the spring break, we will be pushing for meetings in key
congressional districts and states.

The next HIV\AIDS working group meeting will be held on March
14th from 10am  12 noon at the Washington Office on Africa
(WOA).

West Africa Working Group:
The group is concerned about the decrease in US funds for the UN
peacekeeping mission in Sierra Leone, especially as this is a
critical time in the peace process.

The Lutheran Church is moving toward a statement on Liberia.
Mark Brown of the Office of Government Affairs of the Lutheran
Church has more information for anyone who is interested.

The next West Africa Working Group meeting will be held on
Tuesday, March 12th from 3:30pm  5:00pm at the national office of
Amnesty International.

Trade Policy Working Group:
This week, Larry Goodwin of AFJN is at a conference in South
Africa on patent rights of smallholder farmers.

Bread for the World is holding a conference on biotechnology this
week.  The key advocacy issue for the Trade Policy working group
is the House Congressional Resolution # 260 introduced by Maxine
Waters. There has been no progress with regard to a Senate
version of the bill.

II. OTHER ISSUES:
Draft of the letter to Walter Kansteiner (Assistant Secretary of
State for Africa) following his presentation at ADNA in January.
A draft letter was prepared by Carole Collins. The letter thanked
Mr. Kansteiner for addressing our meeting and proposed that this
meeting be the beginning of a dialogue between himself and ADNA.
The letter proposed follow up meetings on two issues: 1.)
Trade\Debt and 2.) the administration’s diplomatic stance on the
inter-Congolese dialogue.

It was decided that we would recast the trade\debt section of the
letter and instead ask for a meeting to hear the administration’s
views and to present our views on NEPAD. Our discussion of
NEPAD could encompass trade, debt, AIDS\healthcare and
conflict resolution.

Specific Recommendations for changes to the draft letter:
It was requested that we include something about the need for
increased development assistance.

We may want to say “Current ADNA US Policy Priorities” since the
alternative “ADNA US Policy Priorities for 2001” sounds dated.
We should send a cc. of the letter to Secretary of State Powell.
Leon will call Mr. Kansteiner’s office within a couple of weeks after
the letter is sent to ask for an appointment as early as possible,
since we expect the administration will be formulating its policy
toward NEPAD in the near future.

A question was raised as to the size of the group that would meet
with him. At first, it was suggested that a small group go to meet
him. But later, someone suggested that we consider sending a
larger group of between 8-12 people with designated
spokespersons.

Child Soldiers Protocol:
The Senate will hold hearings on the ratification of the Child
Soldiers Protocol on Thursday March 7th. For more information,
contact Beverly Lacayo.

Conflict Diamonds:
Many of us do not agree with the house version of the conflict
diamonds legislation. Senator Durban’s office is aware of the flaws
in the current house legislation but some say that Durbin hasn’t
made much progress on the house or the administration.

If the conflict diamonds bill passes in its present form, we will still
have another chance to influence policy on the subject. If the next
round of the Kimberly process goes well, the UN could take action
with regard to conflict diamonds, in which case the US could pass
implementing legislation around which we would have a chance to
advocate.

African Oil:
Presently, approximately 15% of the US’s oil comes from Africa.
That amount is expected to rise to 25% as the US looks to
become less dependent on the middle east for oil. Ian Gary
attended a conference called African Oil and US National Security
hosted by the Institute for Advanced Strategic Policy Studies.
Walter Kansteiner (see above) moderated and Ed Royce, the Chair
of the House Subcommittee on Africa addressed the conference.
The impression given by those who addressed the conference was
that oil exploitation in Africa is a win-win situation. They implied
that legislation may be introduced in the near future aimed at
increasing US access to oil markets in Africa.

The World Bank has created an advisory group to monitor the
Chad-Cameroon pipeline. This group has been surprisingly frank in
criticizing the process. Their report indicated that the commercial
pipeline project was moving ahead much more quickly than the
accompanying environmental and accountability programs.

The World Bank established another advisory board, called the
Extractive Industries Review, to examine the Bank’s worldwide
portfolio of oil and gas. The board’s website is eireview.org.

This morning, NPR had a report on oil in Equatorial Guinea.
Also, the latest AFJN newsletter has a piece on extractive
industries.  The Pipeline Journal is a newsletter from Cameroon
sponsored by Catholic Relief Services. You can contact Ian Gary
for more information about it.

CRS is having a meeting in Cameroon from March 19-23 on their
extractive industries initiative.

Zimbabwe:
Thursday, March 7th from 10  11 am, the Congressional Human
Rights Caucus is holding a meeting on the Zimbabwe Presidential
elections including an update from Assistant Secretary Lorne
Craner in room 2456 of the Rayburn House Office Building.

Also, the International Crisis Group recently released an agenda
with regard to Zimbabwe. For more details, you can contact Carole
Collins.

UN Conference on Financing and Development:
This Conference will be held in Monterray, Mexico this month. The
official conference will take place from the 18th to the 22nd of
March and accompanying NGO meetings will be held from March
14  16. It is the first time that representatives from the UN, World
Bank, the business community, and government representatives of
the G-8 countries and African countries will come together to
discuss the needs of Africa. The NEPAD document will certainly
be discussed.

It was pointed out that to many African NGOs, NEPAD “stinks of
authoritarianism and the top-down approach.” It was recommended
that we consider our response with regard to NEPAD.

It was also mentioned that to get the US government to come to
the table at Monterrey, many concessions had to be made but
some hope that this will be the first step in starting a dialogue with
the current administration on Africa.

Other Announcements:
The Africa Studies Association will have its annual meeting in
December here in Washington. The deadline for payment of this
year’s membership dues is March 15th.

The Episcopal Church is in the process of putting out a pastoral
letter to church leaders in Madagascar. They hope to follow up this
letter with a sign-on letter to President Bush and or Secretary of
State Powell regarding the situation in Madagascar. For more
information, please contact Jere Skipper at the following e-mail
address: [log in to unmask]

III. PRESENTATIONS
Presentation by Jamie Drummund, and Tom Hart:
Mr. Drummund is an activist who has worked with Bono and Bob
Geldolf onaid issues for Africa.

We are forming a new entity to advocate for Africa. It is called
DATA (Debt, Trade, AIDS, Africa). In the Millennium Action Plan
(the origin of NEPAD), African leaders identified these issues as
high priority.

The point of creating DATA is not to duplicate the work that is
already being done but to link the various groups and put a “front
page” on them. DATA has the support of many high profile
entertainers such as Bono (the lead singer for the band U2) and
musician Bob Geldolf. The actor Will Smith has also expressed
interest in the cause. Because these people have a very high
profile, they have a high degree of access to political and business
leaders.

Debt cancellation is not enough. It is estimated that African
countries would need about three or four times the amount that
they currently owe in debt in order to get health care and education
up to a reasonable standard and meet the goals that NEPAD set
for the year 2015.

Britain, Canada and France are ready to support a substantial
program. The US is really the key player whose support is
necessary to do something new and substantial in Africa.

In consideration of the reluctance of some US lawmakers to
authorize significant amounts of aid for assistance to Africa, Tom
Hart proposed a tiered response for aid that would be similar to the
idea of to a “pilot project.” The idea is that we would chose 6-9
countries that have met all the criteria that the US usually sets for
aid (structural adjustment, etc.), and try to meet the Millennium
development goals in those countries. These countries would
constitute the first tier. In the second tier of assistance, the
external debt of the 43 HIPC countries (highly indebted poor
countries) would be cancelled.

Contribution to the global AIDS fund would constitute the third tier
of the proposed program which would, in theory, help all the
countries of Africa.

One estimate was made that if six countries were chosen to
constitute the first tier, only 600 million would be required from the
US to bring these countries up to the goals set by the NEPAD. An
additional 43 million would be required to cancel the debt of the 43
HIPC countries.  An additional 2.5 billion would provide adequate
funding for the global AIDS fund.

The reason for limiting the number of countries in which action is
taken is to make the idea more palatable to US lawmakers some
of whom are anxious about the effectiveness of past aid. If the
efforts to meet the NEPAD goals were successful in a few
countries, maybe such a plan could be funded for all of Africa.

Question: Would this money come from already existing programs
or would new money be allocated? Mr. Hart proposed that new
money be allocated.A concern was raised about basing the
proposal on NEPAD goals since the NEPAD document was
created using primarily a top down approach with little input from
African civil society. Are we in solidarity with African leaders or are
we in solidarity with the African people?  Another concern was that
by promoting such a plan, we may be implicitly justifying the
policies of structural adjustment that the US uses as criteria for
development aid.

Presentation by Bill Fletcher of TransAfrica Forum:
Mr. Fletcher recently became the President of the TransAfrica
forum. He formerly worked as a trade union negotiator and has
served as Board Chair of the Black Radical Congress.

With regard to the restrictions and conditions on aid for Africa, he
pointed out that when Europe was receiving Marshall Plan aid,
France and other European countries were fighting brutal wars to
retain their colonies. Conditions were not placed on these
countries’ ability to receive aid.

Presently, TransAfrica is looking to the following areas in its efforts
to promote global justice:
? Support for the labor movements in Africa and the Caribbean;
? Building student movements throughout the African Diaspora;
? Working for normalization of relations with Cuba.
He emphasized that building coalitions is crucial to our work.

Because of his background, he has a particular interest in labor
movements. In the past because of the cold war, many Americans
had a negative impression of labor movements. When African labor
leaders come to the US, they frequently don’t have the chance to
meet with advocacy groups and coalitions such as ADNA. He said
in recent years there has been some progress in terms of dialogue
between unions in Africa and their governments or outside parties
but more emphasis needs to be placed on fostering dialogue
between unions.

The events of September 11th have prompted a retreat by the US
government into a cold war paradigm which has made advocacy
more difficult. For instance, the Bush administration has decided to
stop talking about Haiti and US policy towards the island.

Mr. Fletcher wants to focus his efforts in mobilizing students,
churches, and people and groups throughout the country to build a
base of support for justice issues towards Africa. Insted of
spending all of the time trying to lobby lawmakers, if we mobilize
the public, the lawmakers will listen.

---------------------------
This message is distributed through the Advocacy Network for
Africa (ADNA) via IDEX

Nunu Kidane
Advocacy Network for Africa (ADNA)
Communications Facilitator for IDEX
International Development Exchange - IDEX
827 Valencia Street, Suite 101
San Francisco, CA 94110
Tel: (415) 824 8384
www.idex.org

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, April 24, 2002. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, 306 23rd Ave. S @ S. Main St, Suite 200, Seattle (enter parking lot off of S. Main, between 23rd and 24th)
7:00 PM WASAN business meeting
7:30 PM PROGRAM: "Kenya: Development Challenges and Successes form the Grassroots" with Wriko Waita.  A free event.

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network