GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:14:15 +0100
Bro,
Just look at Sudan and Mauritania,the way black people are treated in these countries,in our own age ,is among the most depressing events taking place daily in our continent.Remember ethnic cleansing in Mauritania,with more than 50 % of its population been Black African,have been going on for a long time now.And as you rightly pointed out,not a single African leader is marking it a political issue.Here too we have African leaders,like our own government,who do not even want to know of the suffering of our black brothers and sisters in these countries,instead they are more concern with the "check "diplomacy.Mauritanian diplomacy  in the Gambia can easily lead one to believed that they are concern with the educational development in our country,whiles denying black people in their own country everything that can make life easy for them and even to the extend of deporting them to Senegal claiming that they are migrants,many of these people could be found in refuge camps in Senegal and remember in this very country,Mauritania,lies the ruins of the Capital of one of the great African empires,the Ghana Empire.Sudanese have even been running an aid agency in the Gambia,whiles depriving millions of black people  living in that country their basic human rights,they are been starved,they are been murdered etc.Arab racism is an issue,that our black brothers and sisters in these countries(Arab dominated African Countries)have been struggling for decades to put  on the political agenda of our Continent.There are few of us out side these countries who are aware of the suffering of our poeple living in  these Racist countries and our leaders will not even want to know.How many Gambians are aware of the fact that more than 50% of the population in Mauritania are Black Africans.My first encounter with racism was in a so-called Arab country and in Africa.
Yes you are very right,there are People who claimed to be  Pan Africanist,and have done everything to deny Arab genocide and racism in the continent,their understanding of the African past is either corrupted or not deepen.Arab racism should be equally our concern as white racism,that is why it is the duty of all of us to make the voices of our struggling brothers and sisters in these countries be heard.

For Freedom
Saiks