GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:07:32 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:29:55 -0800
From: Debra Williams <[log in to unmask]>

----- Original Message -----
From: Freedom Now World News <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 8:13 PM
Subject: **Urgent News Flash**CLINTON SINGLES OUT SUDAN, AFGHANISTAN AND
CHINA ON HUMAN RIGHTS***

> Clinton Singles Out Sudan, Afghanistan and China on Human Rights
>
> 12/06/2000
> Deutsche Presse-Agentur
>

> Washington (dpa) - U.S. President Bill Clinton singled out
> Sudan, Afghanistan and China on Wednesday for their poor human
> rights records on slavery, women's rights and religious freedom.
>

> In remarks commemorating Human Rights Day, which is December 10,
> Clinton said the United States ``must continue to support
> emerging democracies abroad,'' including advocating free and
> fair elections and fighting corruption.
>
> That support also means ``speaking out when the progress of
> democracy or the most basic human rights are under threat,
> whether it's the scourge of slavery in Sudan, the denial of
> rights to women and girls in Afghanistan, or curtailing
> religious freedom in China,'' he said.
>
> He reserved his harshest critique for the rulers of Sudan.
>
> ``And let me say especially to the students, religious
> communities and human rights activists who have done so much to
> publicize the atrocities of Sudan -- America must continue to
> press for an end to these egregious practices and make clear
> that the Sudanese government cannot join the community of
> nations until fundamental changes are made on these fronts,''
> Clinton said.
>

> =====

section of your reply. Thank you.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/192352/_/976222180/

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]