GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:55:50 +0000
>From: Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Imam Fatty On The World Cup
>Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:00:57 +0000
>
>Imam Fatty, your boss, Jammeh watches and played soccer and he is a full
>time wrestling patron.  What say you to him?  Also, Saudi Arabia is taking
>part in the World Cup and I'm sure on the days they play everyone watches
>their home team, from the King to the lowest servant.  What say you to
>them?
>  The Imam said, "it is against the teachings of Islam for grown up men to
>wear trousers above their knees."  Well Imam, the Saudis wear similar
>shorts, green ones at that.  What say you to that?  Wreastlers do not even
>wear shorts, but "Ngemba", I'm sure a more serious offense in your eyes.  I
>take it Jammeh and the Saudis do not know Islam they way you do.  The
>Gadaffi family own or have huge shares in some of the best soccer teams in
>the world, and his son(s) play the game.  What say you to him (your boss'
>boss)?
>
>Regarding hunger and starvation, I suggest you discuss with your boss on
>the
>hunger and starvation that is not addressed right under your nose, in The
>Gambia.  Please preach to him as you did right before dinner, and see if
>you
>will pertake when the meal is set.  Please read on.
>

>Imam Fatty Criticises World Cup
>

>The Independent (Banjul)
>
>June 10, 2002
>Posted to the web June 10, 2002
>
>Lamin Njie
>Banjul
>
>Abdoulie Fatty State House's controversial Imam has criticised what he
>called money wastage in the process of staging the World Cup, while
>millions
>of people around the world are feeling the pangs of poverty.
>
>Delivering his sermon recently Imam Fatty minced no words as he criticised
>the World Cup for its supposed extravagance, which he said presents a cruel
>irony when poverty, unemployment, AIDS and the plight of refugees in
>war-torn countries require millions of dollars to be addressed.
>
>His sermon comes days after the start to the World Cup in Japan and South
>Korea. He said the organizers would never feel at ease in their conscience
>as they live with the irony of 'wasting' millions of money not in the cause
>of the poor and vulnerable but in the cause of a sport that has done much
>promote irreligious betting, animosities and open confrontation among
>peoples. He admonished the world to as he put it 'sit back and watch the
>tragedy of mankind'.
>
>He said it is against the teachings of Islam for grown up men to wear
>trousers above their knees.
>
>He said during the month of Ramadan, some Muslim players don't bother to
>fast because of matches while some don't even pray when they are playing or
>watching matches. He said by the time the tournament ends in a month's
> [...]

Certainly this Imam is nothing less than an idiot, how could he make such
ignorant rants makes me wonder many a times if he is at all sane. I believe
if he is sincere regarding poverty he should make a sermon about the JET
FIGHTERS procured by a member of his flock, if he cannot make such
legitimate subject a matter of national intrest he should close his big
moth. I believe this man is devoid of substance hence he tries as hard as
possible to be the centre of attraction, people like him suffer from
attention deffiency syndrome and may psychatric help, what  a bloody kill
joy does he think that we live in Afghanistan. I think he should be
investigated  as a possible ALQAEDA recruit, the things he say are very much
along the lines of those people's thought. I advice that his connections to
be investigated to unravel any possible connections, it is very funny the
way these people operate. I hope Jammeh purges him out of State, the things
he says can be very offenssive to a lot of people.