GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 20:15:47 EST
Ndey,

l hold exactly the same view as you express here regarding coups in Africa.
Perhaps l should have clarified things a bit when l forwarded this piece. l
am definitely not one of the colleagues who  expressed the  enthusiasm about
this coup that he is referring to here.
 l find it a real tragedy when  our statesmen cannot bow down gracefully when
they can no longer provide effective leadership and all that it entails, and
it is equally as tragic that rather than the prevalence of a political
atmosphere devoid of fear, manupulation, coercion or downright fraud, where
the average African can cast his or her vote freely to elect effective
leaders, coups d'etats are becoming our Modus Operandi. Coups can never be a
replacement for free elections, for and by the people,  and which  are
devoid of all the above mentioned negative vices.

Jabou Joh

Ndey Jobarteh wrote:

 I think sometimes when military coups take place we sometimes jubilate too
 quickly,for one reason or another ,but one thing is for sure, military coups
 have been the key factor in the political instability of many African
 countries. The present state Somalia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Liberia, Congo and
 others attest to this fact. Experience has shown that when they seize power,
 they talk more about what is wrong and reason for taking over power,they
 themselves end up doing the same. Infact the AFPRC regime's paralysis and
 inepitude is a manifestation of this phenonenon.

 If one were to ask a coup leader just after taking power, he would chant
 endlessly about accountability, probity, transparancy and the like.

 Since the late 1960's West African politics have been dominated by military
 intervention. It is becoming obvious that unless this trend is haltred, peace
 and democracy will forever elude the sub-continent.

 What will the new mellinium bring for us? Will it be a century free of
 military coup? Will the military  focus more on development issues or
planning
 take overs? These are issues we have to asked ourselves.
 One thing i believe should be a start for the military in African especially
 West African is to involve in practical development issues rather than just
 receiving salaries and having enough time to plan coup. I believe if the Army
 members are trainied in skilled jobs which can be part of their curriculum to
 be use in the development process. We will witnes lesser coup detats and more
 responsible military force.

 The army is been fed on public funds and for that reason should be in the
 service of the people.

 The Struggle Continues!!!!
 Ndey Jobarteh

 Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 Here is an excerp from a correspondence regarding the coup in Ivory Coast.

 Jabou

 << I agree with you and all the other colleagues who are enthusiastic about
 the
  change of leadership in Cote d'Ivoire.  I have watched the new President
 very
  closely and weighed his every word carefully.  He is to me an earnest
 humanist,
  a patriotic military philosopher-statesman who has used his "passage in the
  desert" to develop his mind and spirit and reflect on the future of his
 country. >>