GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:33:36 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 117/2007, 5 - 7 October, 2007

Editorial
What Have they to Offer the Downtrodden?
The rate of  unemployment in The Gambia is high. The ranks of the unemployed
continues to  swell. The masses engage in all sorts of things to make ends
meet.
A  countless number are engaged in petty trade. Those with stalls in the
market  often hope that by rendering support to the ruling party their ownership
of  stalls is secure, but this has proven not to be the case.
Local government  authorities do issue eviction orders and demolition of
canteens at markets  without offering canteen owners alternatives. The latest
example is the Soma  market at which six canteen owners have been given eviction
orders without any  option. The six canteens will give way to a supermarket.
The livelihood of six  canteen owners and their families and dependants are now
at stake.
The  visually impaired are also facing a similar fate. As part of the
downtrodden of  society many of them rely on handouts for survival.
But this is becoming  more and more difficult to come by. They are being
increasingly pushed into  small corners away from the sight of visitors and
therefore collect less money.  Hence their misery increases.
Indeed, it is more embarrassing and ridiculous  to prosecute visually
impaired persons because they were begging than to allow  them to beg in the street.
The most recent case reported by a newspaper involves  the prosecution of 7
visually impaired beggars at Bundung Magistrates Court on  offences related to
begging in the streets.
The interview that Foroyaa  conducted with beggars revealed that they are
willing to work for a living than  to beg. Has the government offered them
alternatives or are they planning any  alternatives for them that will free them
from begging? That will pay more  dividend than to arrest and prosecute them.

NIA Interrogate
Shyngle  Nyassi
By Modou Jonga
Reports reaching Foroyaa have it that Mr. Momodou  Shyngle Nyassi, a resident
of Brikama and a staunch supporter of the opposition  United Democratic Party
(UDP), was on Thursday 27 September, 2007 invited for  questioning by
personnel of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) at their  headquarters.
According to sources, Mr. Nyassi was questioned for few hours  before being
released; that he has been reporting to the NIA headquarters after  his
release. The reason for Mr. Nyassi’s interrogation remains unclear.
When  contacted, Mr. Shyngle Nyassi said he was called and asked to report to
NIA  headquarters. He said that he was invited for questioning, but he
declined to  comment on what he was questioned about and why he was “invited” at
the NIA. Mr.  Nyassi however explained that he was informed by two NIA personnel
that he is  needed at the NIA headquarters and that upon his arrival was told
that he is  being invited for questioning. He also confirmed that he was
questioned and  released, but was asked to be reporting at the NIA headquarters.

SOS Musa Bala Gaye Clarifies
By Suwaibou Touray
Following recent  developments on the economy which witnessed the abrupt and
continuous  appreciation of the dalasi against all the other foreign
currencies and the  corresponding stagnation of the prices of commodities, this author
had the  opportunity to talk to Mr. Musa Gibril Bala Gaye, the secretary of
State for  Finance and Economic Affairs.
Foroyaa: The people are happy with the  depreciation of the foreign
currencies but are not happy because they have not  seen the expected corresponding
impact, i.e, price reduction on basic  commodities, what is the problem?
SOS Gaye: The problem here is definitely  the time lapse, i.e the period when
the trader gets his or her exchange rate of  the dollar and the time the
goods or commodities arrive in the shops. This is  the time lapse. But I believe
the price reduction will come.
Foroyaa: Can you  give any estimated time as to when the ordinary man can
expect such a  reduction?
SOS Gaye: No definitely, it will eventually come but I cannot give  time, but
it will come because the common man is definitely entitled to that.
Foroyaa: The interesting thing is that the Dalasi started appreciating
against other international currencies since last year. If you remember the  dollar
had gone up to D28 and the Euro to D38 and the exchange rate fluctuates
between D35 and D36 for the Euro and D27 and D28 for the Dollar almost for a  year
but despite that the reductions in commodity prices have not been  noticed?
SOS Gaye: Well, you know the Euro has not been utilized much in
international trade. What most traders are using is the Dollar. Most imports are  done in
dollars not Euros, so it is the Dollar which is crucial in this  case.
Foroyaa: Again the Dalasi surprises many people because one would  expect our
exports to grow to generate the much needed foreign exchange for the
country, but looking at it, our main cash crop, the groundnut, has virtually not
been exported. The cotton too has not gone at all. The Tourist season has
actually not starrted yet. So what is the secret behind the Dalasi’s  success?
SOS Gaye: Well, you know there are many reasons to it. What you have
mentioned are contributing factors but as you said we also have remittances from
Gambians abroad etc but  we cannot dismiss other factors such as  speculation.
You also have to consider the macro-economic stability as well as  the GDP
growth etc. There is a strong macro-economic stability and we have a lot  of
foreign exchange. So it is the demand which is not outstripping the  supply.
Foroyaa: You know that The Gambia highly indebted and we have to pay  what is
due in foreign exchange and my understanding is that Gambia is not  receiving
balance of payments or Budget support from the outside which can all  put
pressure on the Dalasi for demand to outstrip supply, so how do you solve  that
problem?
SOS Gaye: Well you know the Central Bank of The Gambia has  reserves. So even
though we do not have Budget support we pay debts due through  the Central
Bank reserves.
Foroyaa: Thank you very much for your time.
SOS  Gaye:  It’s a pleasure

Canteen Owners At   Soma Face  Eviction
By Yaya Dampha
The roadside canteen owners  in Jarra Soma  are dissatisfied with the council’
s eviction order given to them recently.  According to Mr. Kasim Fadera, an
affected businessman, they (the shopkeepers)  were issued with a notice to
vacate the land.
The vacation notice was given  to them on the 13 June 2007, and it was signed
by the CEO of Mansakonko Area  Council. The third paragraph of the letter
stated that “the area is going to be  used as a bank, which is more of a national
development issues.”  Mr.  Fadera said, they felt that the council had fooled
them by writing a notice to  them indicating that the land will be issued to
a bank; that on the whole the  land was to be given to another individual
businessman.
When contacted, the  governor of L.R.R Modou Soma Jobe said he was the one
who approved that move,  adding “the new owner will build a supermarket on the
land.” He denied that the  land was sold for two hundred and twenty-five
thousand dalasis, but failed to  say how much they sold it for. He said that
temporal canteens can be taken  back any time for other purposes. When our reporter
put it to him that the  shopkeepers said they were on this land since 1989 and
had shown receipts dating  from that year to 2007, governor Jobe maintained
that that is not an excuse for  them to refuse eviction. Efforts to speak to
the CEO and Chairman Mansankonko  Area Council proved futile.

Omar Ndow’s Trial
Pw4 Testifies
By  Abdou Jeli Keita
Sarjo Ceesay, the Secretary to the Gamtel board of directors  who is also the
fourth prosecution witness in the ongoing trial of Omar Ndow, a  former
Managing Director of Gamtel, has on Thursday 4 October testified at the  Banjul
Magistrates court .He said as the Secretary to Gamtel’s board of  directors, he
knows something about the “C.D.M.A” and “I.M” and the role of the  G.P.P.A.
He said the G.P.P.A was set up by an Act of Parliament to oversee the
purchasing and awarding of contracts by Government Parastatals, and approving  and
disapproving of projects.
He said budgets are prepared annually for  Gamtel; that Gamtel’s management
discuss the budget  and agree on it, after  which it is  passed to the board of
directors. He said if the board  approves the budget, it goes to the finance
department, and if the finance  department is satisfied with the budget, then
it will be passed to the  president’s office for approval, and if the president
’s office approved it, it  comes back, following the same “road” to Gamtel.
He added that, he would not  know if the “C.D.M.A” and I. M. were approved by
the GPPA
While under cross  examination by defence counsel Sheriff Tambedou,  Ceesay
said the C.D M.A  and I.M started as a pilot project in 2005 with 10,000 lines
and it costed  Gamtel $686,000.When asked by the defence counsel if he was
aware of  advertisements by Gamtel of the Jamano phone, he said he was aware of
it. He  added that he would not know if the Jamano phone  was a good thing or
bad  thing became he is not an engineer. He added that people would have thrown
it  away if it were not good. The trial is adjourned to 10 October  2007.

Bravo To The IEC For Local Govt Elections, But….
By D. A.  Jawo
There is absolutely no doubt that all Gambians, apart from the very few  who
are personally benefiting from the status quo, would welcome the decision by
the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) to set a date for the next local
government elections.
Indeed, the time for the elections was well overdue. We  can recall that the
last local government elections were held in April 2002, and  according to the
Local Government Act, the elections were due in 2006. However,  here we are
at the end of 2007 and the old councils (or what still remains of  them after
several of the elected mayors and councillors have been sacked) are  still
operating.
Therefore, under the circumstances, by the time the  elections are held next
year, it would have been almost two years the councils  are operating without
any new mandate from the people.
Indeed, for most of  the councils, such as the Banjul City Council, Kanifing
Municipal Council and  Brikama Area Council, the regime had even
unceremoniously removed their elected  mayors/chairmen and replaced them with people of
their own choice. The executive  has failed to take cognisance of section 23 of
the Local Government Act which  states: “Where an elected member of a Council
ceased to hold office under  section 19 to 22 of this Act, a by-election shall
be held within two months to  elect another person to replace him or her;
except that where he or she ceased  to hold office within six months before the
end of his or her tenure of office,  no by-election shall be held.”
In view of such a scenario therefore, one  would wonder whether it is indeed
really worth anyone’s time and resources to  contest for elections for any
office in the local government structure when one  can easily be removed by the
executive. This is certainly not going to encourage  the people to come out to
vote when they are convinced that their choices are  not respected by those in
authority. It is therefore hard to see how the low  turn-out recorded during
the last National Assembly elections can be reversed  under such a cloudy
atmosphere.
We have for instance seen what had been  happening at the KMC when the
government had to even appoint someone outside the  elected councillors as acting
mayor, which is certainly against both the letter  and spirit of the Local
Government Act. We have also seen what has happened to  the elected opposition
councillor for a ward in Bakau, Ousman Rambo Jatta, who  has indeed been detained
incommunicado for more than one year. Even a court  order for his release has
been flouted by the authorities, which I believe is  just because he is an
opposition councillor.
If this is not jungle form of  politics, then one would wonder what else it
could be. This type of illegality  is certainly not doing any good to the
credibility of the type of democracy  being practised in this country. It is
therefore quite hard to see how the donor  partners and other agencies would
continue to help this country with its  decentralisation process when there is such
intolerance of any opposition views  and those in authority blatantly refuse to
play according to the rules of the  game.
Once again, what has been going on is a clear manifestation of the  regime’s
total disregard for the rights of Gambians to hold views contrary to  those of
the ruling Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC)
party, particularly at the local government level. It appears that their only
objective is to have only those they can easily control and manipulate at every
level of the local government structure, rather than those who represent the
genuine wishes and aspirations of the people.
As all Gambians have an equal  stake in the development of this country, it
is quite unfair to treat those with  different political views with such
disregard for their basic rights and  privileges. This sort of attitude is certainly
not helping to steer this country  on the right path of peace and prosperity
that we all wish it to go. This is no  doubt why The Gambia has been placed 22
on the recent African governance index  released by the Mo Ibrahim
Foundation, and with such a trend of gang-ho politics  being practised, we are
definitely heading for the very bottom of the  index.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
POST-1987 GENERAL ELECTIONS;
JAWARA  FINALLY CHOOSES CABINET
We have been focusing on politics in this column with  a view to drawing
forward the past so as to help the people especially the young  ones to be able to
have an understanding of our democratic system and be able to  gauge how far
we have gone in achieving a workable and fair democratic  system.
We have gone far into the narration of events culminating in the 1987
general elections. We have dealt with the results and the reactions. We have
stopped where we said the opposition resorted to the courts.
Let us start  from where we stopped.
The controversy that was debated for two months was  Sir Dawda’s refusal to
appoint a new cabinet after the results were announced on  11 March 1987. He
did this on the pretext that since he called the elections  earlier than 11 May
by two months, he should finish his term of office before  appointing a new
cabinet. This became a hot debate. He first went to the  People’s Republic of
China (mainland) on the invitation of that country.  According to the Gambia
Times, China then gave a loan of 60 million Dalasis to  the Gambia. He was said
to have received a grand welcome from the people of  China.
The Nation Newspaper however was very critical of Sir Dawda at the  time.
They said the president during his campaign had attacked communism but his  first
port of call after victory was communist China. They wondered what  principle
the president was applying.
However, this period of suspense, i.e.  the lack of forming a new cabinet,
had created uneasiness on the part of those  PPP elites who were vying for
cabinet positions. They were said to be at a lost.  No one was sure as to whether
one would be given a portfolio or what position  one may be assigned to.
According to the Nation, most of those elites within the  PPP who were vying for
cabinet posts had been shuttling between Banjul and the  country side, some as
far as Cassamance in search of marabouts (soothsayers) who  would use spiritual
means to help them influence the president’s decision in  their favour when
appointing his cabinet.
By May 11 1987, Sir Dawda finally  named his cabinet as thus;
Vice President and Minister of Education, Youth,  Sports and Culture,
Honourable B.B Darbo;
Attorney General and Minister of  Justice, Honourable Hassan B. Jallow;
Minister of Finance and Trade, Hon.  Sheriff Saikouba Sisay;
Minister of External Affairs, Hon. Alhagie Omar Sey;
Minister of the Interior, Hon. Lamin Kiti Jabang;
Minister of  Agriculture, Hon. Saihou S. Sabally;
Minister of Local Government and Lands,  Hon. Landing Jallow Sonko;
Minister of Water Resources, Forestry and  Fisheries, Hon. Omar Amadou Jallow;
Minister of Health Environment Labour and  Social Welfare, Hon. Mrs. Louise
A. Njie;
Minister of Works and  Communications, Hon. Muhamadu Cadi Cham;
Minister of Economic Planning and  Industrial Development, Hon. Mbemba Jatta;
Minister of Information and  Tourism –Hon. Dr Lamin Saho.
This cabinet brought news of what the press  called casualties when it was
learned that some of the old guards and what they  called “the new questionables”
 have been thrown out. The result is that Mr. M.C  Jallow, former Minister of
Health, Mr. Amulai Janneh, former Minister of Local  Government, Mr. L. B.
Mboge, former Minister of Works and Communications, Mr.  A.E.W.F Badjie, Former
Minister of Interior and Mr. A.A Njie, former Minister of  Economic Planning
and Industrial Development who was said to be rejected by the  Serekunda West
PPP supporters as a candidate were all replaced.
The news  struck some like a thunderbolt from nowhere. According to the
Nation, a former  Minister was said to have fallen quite ill after hearing that he
was dropped  from cabinet. Unconfirmed reports, which were heavily relied on
in those days,  said his marabout gave him so much assurance that he would be
re-appointed and  as such, the failure was more than his psyche could
accommodate. The two new  ministers coming from the ranks of the parliamentary
secretaries were Mr. Mbemba  Jatta of Gunjur and Dr. Lamin Saho of Central Baddibu.
Mr. Omar Sey was a  backbencher but was as the Nation put it, unprecedentedly
appointed straight to  the position of External Affairs without the usual
apprenticeship in serving as  parliamentary secretary.
Mr. M.E Jallow, a trade unionist, was also appointed  as a Nominated member
in the House but suddenly died before his appearance in  the House. He would
have been the first person to represent trade union interest  during the first
Republic after the late Edward Francis small in the then  legislative council.
According to the Nation, the appointment of the late M.E  Jallow was believed
by some as a reward for his support for the SeneGambia  confederation while
others maintained that it was as a result of pressure to  recognize the Gambia
worker’s union that was banned by the Government in the  late 70s. One
noticeable absence was that of Dr. J.S Palmer in the list of  nominated members,
which was a surprise to many educated Gambians at home and  abroad who were
following his contributions in the House.
According to  reports, he was one person who refused to be bogged down by the
consideration  that he was nominated by the president and therefore was
obliged to promote  government policy whether or not it served the interests of the
people. J. S  Palmer, the Nation said, asked potent but relevant questions
which many within  government circles were uncomfortable with. The Nation
clamoured that no attempt  should be made to neutralize concrete, constructive and
sincere criticisms; that  if history were to be repeated, then sad events
loomed ahead.
The Nation  ascertained that the reason why Africa was in turmoil is because
of economic and  social dilemma accompanied by suppression of democracy. It
opined that the  resultant effect is a conglomeration of what they called “yes
men and yes  women”, surrounded by dangerous opportunists supporting autocratic
power in this  country. One good thing that occurred after the swearing in of
the president on  May 11 was when Sir Dawda granted Amnesty to 24 Prisoners
connected with the  1981 rebellion, but it had been sadly noticed that the NLP
leader, Pap Cheyassin  Secka, was not included.
According to reports, during the swearing- in  ceremony at the Maccarthy
Square, thousands of spectators converged but an  intriguing thing that occurred
was, whilst PPP supporters and sympathizers were  expressing and emphasizing
their unflinching support for the PPP government,  others were at the same time
shouting the GPP Slogan “Jawara jJippo” yet others  were demanding “
accountability on public funds from the  government”.
According to reports, the police were with rifles that kept a  watchful eye
but did not interfere.
The one bad thing Gambians were struck  with was the revelation that the
deadly AIDS Virus have officially been  discovered in the Gambia; that about 12
cases have been discovered but 4  patients had already died. It was at this time
that the first international  symposium on AIDS was held in Brussels which
marked bitter dispute between  African and Western researchers over the origin
of the disease.
See next  edition as we delve into issues of later 1987.

HEALTH AND NUTRITION  BANTABA
Repercussions of Substance Abuse
By Yaya Barjo
Barbiturates are  a group of drugs known as depressant drugs, including
phenobarbitone, amytal,  etc. They are used largely as sleeping tablets and for
treating epilepsy. The  doctor usually prescribes tham as a sedative (which clams
a person down). They  can be abused and used under conditions of wakefulness,
such as at a party, when  they cause rapid drunkenness.
Barbiturates are very addictive. They can mix  up the users judgment and
cause poor memory, inability to concentrate and  unsteadiness. The user can become
confused, walkout onto a busy road and get  killed.
Amphetamines such as Benzedrine are widely used as slimming pills and
stimulants which increase the rates of breathing and heartbeat in depression and
tiredness. They are sometimes popular with students who want to be full with
energy to keep awake and study for long periods. Amphetamine users feel that
their thinking has sharpened, but in actual fact what they say and write is
often unintelligent. In addition, amphetamines may cause hallucinations and
withdrawal from reality and the tendency to commit suicide.
Cocaine, another  stimulant drug, is a white power also called “coke” or ‘
Snow’. An impure form is  known as ‘crack’. It is produced from the Coka plant
which is grown largely in  South America. The drug is normally taken by
sniffing the power.
Cocaine is  not only dangerous because it is easy to get addicted to, but is
also causes a  great deal of harm to the user. It causes stomach pains and
loss of weight,  nervousness and difficulty in sleeping. Prolonged used results
in a loss of  concentration, a mistaken belief of being troubled continuously
and a feeling as  if insects are crawling on the skin. Cocaine is very
expensive, so it is often  mixed with cheaper chemicals. They may be impure and cause
a great deal of harm.  Very heavy doses of the drug can cause violent
behaviour, hallucinations or even  death, though breathing failure or heart failure
can occur.
Opiates such as  opium comes from the juice of the opium poppy. It contains
the painkillers  Morphine and codeine, morphine had been used for years to ease
servere pain and  to suppress coughs.
Heroin is made from morphine and is much stronger. It is  a poison and is
normally injected either directly into a vein or under the skin.  It is also
sniffed as a power or swallowed. Heroin is very addictive and causes  chronic
constipation and loss of interest in food and sexual activity. In women,  the
menstrual cycle is interfered with. The high cost of obtaining the drug  often
leads to crime and violent deaths. The death rate is high as a result of  damage
to the brain, heart, kidneys and overdose (taking too much). Hepatitis  and
AIDS can be caused by users injecting themselves with a common hypodermic
needles. Obsession with obtaining a drug leads to inadequate diet and lack of
hygience. Violent death among addicts and dealer are common.
Alcohol,  cigarettes and other drugs of abuse serious injure health. It is
therefore an  important decision for a young person to decide not to drink,
smoke or use  drugs. Many people who do not have these habits are admired for it.
Use of drugs  does not make one stronger, smarter or more attractive. A young
person is  tougher and clever without them. He or she does not have to drink
or use drugs  to have a good time.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
BLACKMAIL, JUSTICE AND  SENTIMENT
By Amie Sillah
Part 10
The Rancour
Dad and daughter  bickering at each other. The ‘cold war’ turned into a ‘hot
war’ Mama Cynthia  joined into persuade Cynthia to drop the case. “Cynthia!
You cannot fight a case  against your father! That is undone. How would
society see it?” Cynthia educated  her mum “Mama! This is about justice. Sentiment
have to be put aside. My client  Mrs. Johnson is innocent. I cannot abandon
her at her time of need. We have  enough evidence to win the case. Mum persuade
dad to drop the case. They are  fighting a losing battle”. Cynthia argued. “
All the same. Take it easy. He is  your dad. I’ll talk to him”. Mama tried to
clam down the situation. Mum and dad  were to attend a community meeting. On
the way mama tried to reason with dad who  was very upset. He saw his daughter
as being ungrateful and obstinate.
Dad  Very Angry
Dad became angry with everyone especially mum. He saw her as being  in
collaboration with Cynthia against him. “You are siding with you daughter  against
me. But God’s willing you’ll all be put to shame”. Mum retaliated. “I am  not
siding with anyone. You have to see reason and drop the case. Cynthia said
you have no case. That they have strong evidence i.e. a recorded tape of your
client”. Dad became agitated. “Nonsense! We shall see! I’ll crush both of you!
”  “You are trying to be unreasonable in this case. You want it to be viewed
only  through your lenses. You are unfair to me”. Mama protested.
Greg Senior And  Senior Advocate
Greg Senior was curious to know the opposing barrister. He  asked. “Who is
this psendo champion trying to challenge you?” Senior became sad  as he narrated
his story. “It is my daughter Cynthia”. Greg Senior sprang up.  “What! Your
own daughter challenging you? That is absurd! Can she be bought?”  “No! She
is stubborn and obstinate. She is strong about her principles”. Senior
Advocate argued. “Nonsense! Nobody! I say nobody shunned away from real money.  She
is a young lady. She will need things. Say a Porch Car and half a million  buck
as a teaser. What do you say?” Greg Senior tried to entice Senior. “Well!
That is good money. I’ll try” he promised. “Now you are talking. Try and get
the  tape. Destroy it and your daughter drop the case. It’s a deal. Try and get
to me  as quickly as possible”. He ordered.
Dad Engages In Crookery
Dad went  behind Cynthia’s back and started searching her place upside down.
Cynthia is  smart. Her evidence is kept away from home. She never trusted her
dad. As he  searched frantically, Cynthia came into her room and caught him
red handed. She  mocked at him. “Oh! What are you searching for? The tape! Dad!
You surprise me.  Why are you so frantic to get me drop this case?  Why are
you going to this  length? What you have done is illegal and I can sue you for
this. It is also an  act of dishonesty. You are determine to free a criminal
and I am determined to  free the innocent”. Cynthia posited. Dad became
overwhelmed and embarrassed. He  softened her tone. He gave Cynthia a half a million
cheque from Greg  Senior.  “Here take this half a million cheque from Greg
Senior. You need  it to replenish your wardrobe and jewelry box. Greg also promise
to give you a  brand new porsh car. All at your perusal. What do you say to
that?” Senior  awaited Cynthia’s response. Cynthia examined the cheque
thoroughly and returned  it back to her dad with strong words. “No dad! My conscience
cannot be bought.  Yes! I need a porsh car also to replenish my wardrobe and
jewelry box but  certainly not through blood, dirty money”. Dad felt insulted.
He shook with  rage. “What! You have now turned into an enemy. My own
daughter into an enemy!  We shall see! “He threatened. Cynthia stuck to her guts. I
can never let a  criminal go free. My conscience cannot be bought. Am sorry!
You can say whatever  you want but I cannot be shaken. I have to protect my
conscience. You choose  your way to make your money as a lawyer. Likewise leave me
to carve my own way.  I stand for Justice, for the just”. “I’ll crush you in
court. I’ll use my wealth  of experience to crush you! It will affect your
career. I’ll teach you the  lesson of your life”. Senior threatened. He became
very angry.
The  Media
The Media went after the family. The headlines in the Newspapers,  Father and
Daughter in a Legal Tussel. Cynthia refused to say anything to the  media. “
Meet me in court. You’ll hear everything you wish to know”. “But your  father
is a Senior Advocate. He had never lose a case. What have you to say to  that?”
 “My dad is a Senior Advocate. I respect him for that. But he is to quote
from law books as references. Likewise with myself. As an Advocate, I have to
quote from law books. Then we shall see”. Another journalist asked. “People
say  you are an ingrate and an obstinate person. How can you of all people fight
your  own dad in court?” “The law knows no sentiments. This is a case of
human rights,  rule of law. The guilty has to be punished and the innocent
exalted. I respect  my dad. He inspired me. He educated me. This was his duty to me
as a parent. But  I also have my duty to my people, to my nation. I am
upholding my principles and  my conscience. History will absolve me. I’ll fight to
win but in the process I  can also lose. So is life but history will quote me as
doing my very best to my  best of ability. That is all what I have to say.
See me in court”.
The Media  And Dad
Dad became very arrogant and rude to the media. He blasted them.  “I’ll not
answer any questions from you. Come to court you’ll hear me  speak”.  “But
Sir Isn’t it absurd to engage in a legal tussel with your own  daughter?” “Ask
my obstinate daughter who is fighting a legal tussel with her  dad not me.
Come to court you’ll hear me out!” He barked at the media. “But Sir!  Whatever
the case maybe she is still your daughter!”
Journalists Trained for  Broader Scopes on Internet Use
By Baboucarr Ceesay
Within its Action Plan  for 2007 to 2009 framework, the Islamic Educational,
Scientific and Cultural  Organisation (ISESCO), through its Communication and
Cultural Directorate,  organised a training session for journalists on the use
of the internet, themed  “The use of Internet in the communication sector for
the benefit of journalists”  at the YMCA hall, Kanifing on Tuesday 2 to 3
October 2007.
In her welcoming  remark, Maimuna Sidibeh, programme officer for Culture and
Education, Gambia  National Commission for UNESCO, expressed her delight over
the enthusiastic  response of the media practitioners to participate in the
training  session.
Sukai Bojang, the Secretary General of Gambia National Commission  for UNESCO
(NATCOM), in her opening remarks stated that the training seminar is  being
funded by ISESCO and organised by the Gambia National Commission for  UNESCO.
She added that ISESCO is committed to supporting member countries in  their
capacity building programme in the fields of education, the sciences,  culture
and communication. She noted that the organisation has been especially
supportive in the training of Arabic/Islamic teachers and the fight against
illiteracy. She said ISESCO provided support to the television services of the
Gambia Radio and Television Services (GRTS) in the procurement of  equipment.
She told participants that ISESCO ‘s action plan for 2007 to 2009,  in
addition to human resource development is to highlight the Islamic  civilisation’s
active part in the knowledge fields. Adding that redressing the  image of Islam
and Muslims in the West and affording the member states access to  the
information and knowledge in our society are part of their focus.
For the  communication sector, she said ISESCO will contribute towards
bridging the  digital divide separating the member states from developed countries.
She  indicated that it will also support member states’ efforts in building
the  information and communication society, that this training session is being
 organised to achieve the objective.
She expressed hope that journalists and  future journalists would gain more
knowledge and become more proficient in their  field as well as in the use of
the Internet.
Mr.Madi K.Ceesay, President of  Gambia Press Union, training consultant and
director of Media Agenda and a  resource person at the training, made
presentations on objective writing,  responsible journalism, news gathering and
advertising. He emphatically noted  that journalists’ obligation is to the public and
no one else.
Mr. Ceesay  reminded journalists that they have a duty to give the public all
the facts they  need to understand the story. He underscored the point that
journalist are  writing for the public and should therefore choose to be fair.
He further  reminded journalist to stick to the ethics of the profession and
the standard of  best practices.
Mr. Poncelet who delivered a lecture on the use of Internet  in
communication, among other things exposed participants to the practical use  of search
engines. He encouraged journalists to develop skills in evaluating the  accuracy
and reliability of information found in the web.
Delivering the  closing remark on behalf of the Secretary General of NATCOM,
Mr. Yaya Jobe, the  programme officer for Science at the Gambia National
Commission for UNESCO  called on participants to strengthen their links as
professionals.

Dudu  Kassa Jaata And Co On Defence
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The trial of Dudu  Kassa Jaata and seven others is in full swing at Kanifing
Magistrate Court,  presided over by Senior Magistrate Abdoulie Mbacke. The
defence continued with  its case on Thursday 4 October.
The first prosecution witness, Dudu Kassa  Jaata, continued his evidence in
chief. He told the court that his statements  were obtained by the police. He
said he is literate and can write his own  statements. Mr. Jaata said that he
was not told by the police the reasons why  they have to write his own
statements for him. Mr. Jaata was given the two  statements but he denied that the
signatures on them were his. The defence  counsel Lamin S. Camara argued that the
two statements before the court are not  the one his client has made to the
police. Counsel Camara asked the prosecution  to provide the court with the
true cautionary and voluntary statements. He said  he believed that the
statements before the court are false. “We are prosecuting  but not persecuting,” said
Camara. He said his client can produce his national  Identity Card before the
court to verify the two signatures. At this point the  defence wanted to
tender the ID Card of Kassa but it was objected by the  prosecutor.
Sergeant 870 Touray urged that to determine the two signatures  they have to
be sent to the handwriting expert for verification before it can be  tendered.
 Sergeant Touray noted that the accused person admitted before  the court
that it was detective Manneh who obtained the statements from him and  that
detective Manneh’s name appeared on the statements as the officer who  obtained
them.
Defense counsel Camara replied that the objection raised by  the prosecution
is “novel,” that is has never happened in the history of the  country. Camara
added that the law in the country is very clear in terms of  handwriting and
that the Evidence Act is very clear on the procedures to be  followed. “The
court has the discretion to admit the documents to confirm the  genuineness or
otherwise of the handwriting of the accused before the court”. He  cited
section 112 of the Evidence Act to support his claims. He added that if  the court
did not admit the ID Card, it cannot determine the genuineness of the
signatures. He cited the treason trial which involved Tamsir Jasseh, Demba Dem  and
Omar Faal Keita to back his arguments. Magistrate Mbacke deferred the case  to
another date for a ruling on the matter. It could be recall that Dudu Kassa
Jaata and seven others are standing trial since last year for allegedly arming
themselves, using foul words in public and obstructing police officers while
executing their duties, between June and August last year.

Alieu Momar  Njie’s Trial
Witness Alleges Harassment
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Alhajie  Gibril M.S. Njie, the first prosecution witness in the trial of
Alieu Momar  Njie, the former Mayor of Kanifing Municipal Council,  has informed
principal magistrate Moses Richards of the Kanifing Magistrates Court that
after  his testimony in court on Tuesday 2 October, he was attacked by the
accused  person’s son. Mr. Gibril Njie said he was insulted, pushed and knocked down
on  the ground by the sacked mayor’s son. The trial magistrate promised to
take  steps by the next sitting date.
Continuing his testimony, Mr. Gibril Njie  the Financial Commissioner of the
Scouts Association told the court that the  10,000 dalasis received by Mr.
Alieu Momar Njie from the Scouts of Saudi Arabia  was in cash. He said the
foreign exchange rate then was D30 dalasis per dollar.  The witness said that Mr.
Alieu Njie told them that out of the amount he had  given D84,000 to one Anna
Njie for catering during the ECOWAS Jamboree. He said  that only D14, 000 was
returned by Mr. Njie eventhough the Jamboree did not go  as planned, noting that
only two of the invited countries made it to The Gambia,  namely Liberia and
Sierra Leone. Mr. Gibril Njie recalled that in 2005 the  Taiwan Embassy gave
Mr. Alieu Njie 4,000 dollars which was to facilitate the  travelling of one
Ousman Trawally to attend a Jamboree in Taiwan. He added that  Mr. Alieu Momar
Njie entered into a contract agreement with the Jammeh  Foundation to establish
a scouts shop; that the amount of the contract was  20,000 dollars. He noted
that a Scout’s shop was opened and that Mr. Alieu Momar  Njie told them that
D6,000 would be paid as rent to Jammeh Foundation on a  monthly basis; that he
can attest to seeing only three receipts as payments to  Jammeh Foundation
which amounted to D18,000. He said they had collected an  amount of D3.4 million
dalasis for the UK, USA and Germany Jamboree. He said Mr.  Alieu Momar Njie was
paid D30,000 dalasis as his commission for securing visas  and booking for
air tickets for participants. Mr. Gibril Njie asserted that Mr.  Alieu Momar
Njie later submitted a report of D30,000 Dalasis as the balance. He  said Mr.
Njie was challenged on the amount he spent on insurance and the visa  payment for
himself. He said that at onetime Mr. Njie ordered him to release an  amount
of D350,000 dalasis to Ousman Jallow, a money changer for the air tickets
amounting to 7 million CFA; that he went to enquire from the airline company and
found out that they would realize a balance D60,000.
The Scout Financial  Commissioner said the Association has a plot of land and
were given 250 bags of  cement by Amadou Samba for the purpose of
construction; that he realized that  150 bags were sold in order for the proceeds to be
used to start the foundation  work on the plot of land; that Scout membership
cards were also sold for the  same purpose.
During cross examination, Mr. Gibril Njie said he had a diploma  in Financial
Management and had worked with government for 30 years.
The  defense counsel, Mr. S.M. Conteh put it to him that all that he had been
saying  in court was how the Scout Association received and get their
fundings but not  about mismanagement. He said that when he became Financial
Commissioner there  was no mismanagement during his term of office and that what he
said in court is  the truth.
Sitting is adjourned till 9 October. Mr. Alieu Momar Njie is  standing trial
for allegedly stealing D4 million dalasis from The Gambia Scouts  Association.

Too Many Cards Worry Njogu Demba
By Modou  Nyang
Scorpions’ striker Njogu Demba is getting frustrated for often being  booked
by referees.
The Esbjerg FB of Denmark player got into the referees’  book 3 times since
the start of the current Danish SAS league campaign. And  Demba was not happy
when referee Henrik Prigel booked him in the 80th last  Sunday against OB
putting him three more bookings away from suspension. Demba  has already collected
three yellow cards and another three cautions into the  referee’s book, will
force him to sit out a ban.
The silky playing striker  is getting frustrated that he is being booked very
often by referees. He  collected his first caution in Esbjerg’s first league
match against Brondby IF,  when he and three other teammates were booked.
Esbjerg won that game 1-0, Jesper  Jørgensen scoring from the penalty spot. His
second booking came in their fourth  match against Randers FC in the 29th minute
and his teammate Martin Vingaard was  also booked during that match.
This Sunday Esbjerg will head for a quick  return leg showdown with OB and
they do not want to lose their top striker as  they fight to clinch their first
league title in 28 years. They played a 1-1  draw with OB in their last
fixture on Sunday. Esbjerg last won the Danish league  in 1979. They are currently
8th in the 12 team league table with a total14  points from 11 matches. They
won 4 matches so far, drawing 2 losing 5 and  scoring 25 goals whilst conceding
21.
Demba has scored four goals for  Esbjerg in their current league campaign
sharing the club’s top goal scoring  spot with strike partner Rajko Lekic. He
scored his first in Esbjerg 5-2 defeat  by FC København and his second in another
2-1 defeat by AaB. He pushed his tally  to four in Esbjerg’s following match
against AC Horsens when he fired a double  in the 62nd and 73rd minutes. His
other goal for Esbjerg this season, was when  he equalised against the German
Bundesliga side Werder Bremen, in a 1-1 friendly  match draw.