GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 13:57:39 +0000
Hello Ebou,
I think sometimes we make very simple things very complicated. I am always
perturbed when people try to define and draw a boundary between Human Rights
in the West and that in Africa. Imagine if someone tells you a computer  in
the West is different from one in Africa. I can understand if the
architecture is different, but hey, the end result should be the same,
supposedly. Why not the same for Human Rights?
I am more interested in the end results of Human Rights than all the nitty
gritty, in layman's terms, are the citizenry free to express themselves
without the fear of been prosecuted?
Sometimes we have to take the extra mile to say things as they are. Most
parts of your article is corroborated by Western educationists' theories,
but yet again, you were able to differentiate between Human Rights in Africa
and that in the West. I don't get it.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Alieu

In the eve of the ALD, I anticipate some interesting discussions on the
floor as posted online today.  I hope to provoke some thoughts in
anticipation of my absence.  I labored hard to avoid certain technical
concepts as much as possible in order allow greater latitude for
reactions from all quarters.  There is a semblance in approach my essay
with the three generic domains of human interests that categorize human
cognition according to Jurgen Habermas. Nevertheless, I adopt here a
harmonious approach of contact and confirmation within the various
philosophical traditions (Kant, Aristotle), contemporary scientific
theories and historical contexts.