GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:50:38 +0000
Momodou Mboge,

I was expecting some degree of sincerety from you and not denial for the
sake of it. That there is abject poverty here is not lost on me or any well
meaning Gambian; and you know, more than anyone, that we are in this dire
state because of the impotence of the previous regime. The former PPP
government did very little for Gambians in terms of putting in place those
infrastructures that are necessary for us to live decent lives. They did
very little to enable us move in the path of sustainable development.
Instead of developing the country, our economy was pilfered by the former
regime despite all the goodwill we had and you know that more than anyone.
Despite the witholding of donor grants and aid, we are still surviving and
doing what we can to better our lives. That is what is endearing the
president to all and sundry.

This government recognises the role of these "silly projects" for national
development. This government also knows that these "silly projects" are just
a few of the many things we desperately need to alleviate the poverty and
ignorance that is so rampant nowadays. What I expected from people like you
is to discuss how we can derive maximum benefit from them and not the
diatrides coming from you. But that will be expecting too much, isn't it?

Unlike you, I admit some of the shortcomings of the government and implore
them to work on those shortcomings. I also try to provide information that
our people can use, to plan a way of improving our lot. On the other hand
you are doing all Gambians a great dis-service by allowing your hatred of
the APRC to blind you to the extend that you cannot even recognise it when
the government does the right thing. Instead of condemning these "silly
projects" in their entirity, why don't you tell us what projects they ought
be implementing? What I find very sad is the fact you can no longer tell the
difference that these "silly projects" can make to our lives. For your
information, sooner rather than later, you will be hearing about the
dividends we will be getting from these "silly projects". May be by then,
you would have come to terms with the fact that the first republic is truely
dead and that we are moving on. Our relentless pursuit of developing the
country will not be derailed Mboge. You are free to stay on the sideline and
observe what will be happening in the next few years.

Have a good day, Gassa.