GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.M.Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:56:46 +0000
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:17:32 EST Yusupha Jow
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You also mentioned that the country had a buoyant economy
under the rule of > Mr. Smith.  I am no economic expert,
but how can an economy that benefits the > few at the
expense of the masses, ALA post-independence South Africa,
be > considered buoyant?  Whites in Zimbabwe profited from
unfair land practices > and prejudice against blacks.
Hence Mr. Mugabe's attempt to pass the land > reform act
which would have redistributed the farm lands in a more
just > manner.

Hi Yus,

As i communicated to Jabou, the land reforms was the key
element of the liberation struggle and i agree that the
black majority should be able to own and farm the land of
their ancestors. When i stated that the economy was
bouyant, I was refering to the fact that Zimbabwe was a net
exporter of food at independence. How many African
countries can claim to be net exporters of food. They could
have built and enhanced these developments after
Independence.  The economic indicators were favourable,
stable currency, low inflation, good infractructure. (Maybe
Jabou can tell us more of her experience living in
Zimbabwe). They could have invested more on improving
health and education of the majority black population. But
alas! mismanagement, corruption and bad polices has
resulted in Zimbabwe being a net food importer and the
economy going into a down ward spiral.

As you said a land reform act would have taken care of the
problem. But no, Mr president want's more power - lets have
a referendum.

basil

to the Gambia-L > Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html >