GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:49:19 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Mali's Le Republicain believes that the French-brokered accords "open the
> way to the return of peace".
>
> But, the paper regrets, they "show the incapacity of African leaders to
> find
> African solutions to African problems".
> &&&&&&

This is really the issue, "African leaders incapacity to take care of African
problems," instead begging for salvation from those whose only interest in
the matter is to safeguard their interest. What those people begging America
to get involved are doing is simply asking to replace the French with the
Americans. One would think that these people would have learned a thing or
two from the current Iraqi crisis.
When will we take charge of our own affairs instead of always acting like
children who need big brothers' intervention to solve problems created by our
own politicians and our blind support of the injsutice they heap on us?.

When Africa's leaders learn that a government is  not a monarchy and is
supposed to represent all the people instead of ruling by creating a faction
of constituents who receive favours in return for closing their eyes to the
principles of justice, fairplay and accountability to all that any
administration should be engaged in promoting and protecting  for the benefit
of all the people. When the people themselves realize that when we fight for
these ideals as one voice regardless of party affiliation,and hold our
leaders accountable, they will have no choice but to realize what their true
roles are.
We have to stop supporting injustice that paves the way to these disasters.

Jabou Joh