GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:40:43 -0700
Katim,

Your points are very lucid. I hope papers back home
will publish it. I concur with you, Hamjatta and
others that if the "IEC" cannot rectify the gross
violations of the Electoral Laws they've stipulated,
the opposition should boycott the elections. Come to
think of it, Pdois' position on the re-installation of
the former Chairman is a good starting point. If the
Chairman's tenure is dependent on the whims and
caprices of Yaya Jammeh, then it goes without saying
that he'll (Chairman) do his bidding. There simply
can't be any fair elections under such conditions.
Also, you're totally right about the illegal degrees
in place. I'm very glad that OJ is ready to defy these
criminal degrees. And I hope, he'll have company. That
should settle this matter once and for all. But in
general, the UDP and NRP will commit a serious blunder
if they fail to address the Electoral violations
BEFORE taking part in the elections. We can only warn
them. Thanks.

Saul.