GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:27:53 +0000
Matarr,

My sincere apologies for seeming to pose the questions I asked to you. I
meant to commend both you and Malamin Sonko for bringing into focus some of
the things that we Senegambian take for granted and are now being told are
un-Islamic.

I wanted to save it as a draft in order to give a background as to why I
asked the questions but unfortunately pressed the sent button instead.

The reason I asked some of the questions is because of a serious row that
took place at a funeral that I attended sometime back. On that occasion,
some elders wanted to follow certain procedures in the Mosque and an
Egyptian educated young man stood up to denounce the procedure as un-Islamic
and then the row ensued.

Following that rancour, He continued to denounce many of the modern day
practices as against sharia. The most stattling to me was his assertion that
if a pregnant woman dies in an accident, it is Haram to perform sugery to
save the baby even if the mother was due for delivery that day and doctors
could certify that the  baby in her womb was alife and could be saved. He
also asserted that if one knew of a person who swallows a gold finger ring
in the morning and dies in an accident that afternoon and people are certain
that the gold was still in his/her stomach, he/she should be operated upon
to remove the ring and that it was Haram to bury that person with the ring
still in his/her stomach. When I questioned about certain prayer practices
that certain people do that were not part of the five daily prayers and that
as far as I knew were not sunnas, at least to my knowledge, he told some
unusual prayers reciting some of the most basic of verses from the holy
quran saying that when someone prayed as he had stipulated, it was
equivalent to having prayed for the whole year. Then I wondered, why pray
five times a day even when sometimes it is not very convenient and not just
wait and perform some of the prayers he said could be done to gain up to a
years blessings. He also claims that there is certain prayer that the
prophet (PBUH) used to pray and if one prayed the same would never go to
hell. This he would not tell me because he says it is a prayer one has to
earn by working for your ustass until he is fully satisfied with your
services and this could be anything between 5 to 7 years.

I hope people with knowledge about these and the other questions I asked
earlier would enlighten us. Again sorry for erroneously sending the first
message instead of storing it as a draft.

Have a very good day, Gassa.