GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:38:29 EDT
Buharry,

Preliminary observations vis-a-vis your last posting. I noticed that you
continue to attribute to me views vis-a-vis state enterprises and
cooperatives gardens i have repeatedly said i do not hold - even in instances
where i have have clearly stated disquietude or scepticism in their overall
impact in alleviating mass poverty that is the stuff of the legion Gambian
poor and unemployed. You continue to attribute to me such views along the
said wavelength:

<< "i never said that cooperative societies are un-profitable. There are,
indeed, indications that they can be profitable."

Why are you against their implementation by a PDOIS government then? You
wrote: "Now, for economic simpletons - as most programmed fanatics are anyway
- and unreconstructed leftists, this is the magic formula for that idyllic
egalitarian paradise leftists hanker for. But for sophisticated folks, the
equation that purports to undergird this policy thrust doesn't simpy add up.
Far from it. Liberals only become suspicious of these things if they are
State contrived and susceptible to pork barrel politics." If there are
indications that co-ops can be profitable, why condemn them? >>

Can you go back to the archives and show:

1. Where i categorical condemned co-ops;

2. Where i said i'm opposed to PDOIS implementing these co-ops;

3. Where i've condemned state enterprise  - categorically?

Needless to say all you will see is that i've raised disquietude and
scepticism as per how effective it is to make such agrarian economics the
central plank of your economics when in fact the evidence is that that
country is on the threshold of full-blown urbanity. This is the point you
keep missing.

Aside from your misconceptions on my stated positions on PDOIS' economic
programme, your posting is replete with quotations from earlier postings of
mine, apparently to show that i've not been consistent. But, in fact, your
posting merely proves the point i've always insisted about me: open-minded
and critical. That i took the UDP to task just shows that i'm not fanatical
in the way i support or endorse. That i can cite instances where the UDP
could and should emulate the strengths of PDOIS by itself debunks the point
that i always seek to discredit the PDOIS. It is just another instance that
merely serves to drive home the point that i'm a critical rationalist. I
repeat that i no longer endorse or support any single political party. I
merely support efforts - be they political, intellectual or moral - that seek
to resolutely end the dictatorship. This is the nature of my support of the
Alliance. Needless to say that i never supported individually any of the
parties that currently constitute the Alliance. When i happily allied myself
with any political party was back when i supported the PDOIS. I no longer
supporter any political party, and after the elections, i will go back to
being an independent. This should help clarify my current political position.

All the best,

Hamjatta Kanteh