GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:15:28 -0500
INDEPENDENT NEWS PAPER
MONDAY 25TH JUNE 2001

Gov't committed to environmental sanitation

The government is concerned that environmental sanitation is
generally poor in our communities and that the vector that causes
malaria lives and breeds in poor environmental conditions. To save
life and reduce morbidity and mortality due to malaria, government
has decided to institutionalize a national "Set - Setal" day to
encourage our communities to clean the environment. It is expected
that through such activity the mosquito population could be        reduced
thereby minimizing the malaria incidence. The end result is a
healthier and more productive population.

The general public is hereby informed that The Gambia is charged
with the responsibility of coordinating malaria prevention and
control under the Regional Health for Peace Initiative and that His
Excellency the President has himself spare headed the campaign to
Roll Back Malaria since May 1999. It is therefore incumbent on
everybody living in The Gambia to join the campaign against
malaria. Cleaning our environment is a very important factor in the
promotion of health and a prerequisite to the success of the roll back
malaria programme.

The general public is therefore urged to view the institutionalization
of the National "Set Setal" Day as a national endeavour to bring
down malaria prevalence in The Gambia. It should also be seen as a
duty and service to our country and people. We should all willingly
participate in this campaign. The government has therefore decided
that with immediate effect the first Saturday of every month between
the hours of 8 to 11 am should be observed as National "Set Setal"
Day throughout the country.

Everybody living in The Gambia should be involved in cleaning the
environment on that Day during the specified time. All institutional
heads, divisional commissioners, district chiefs, village heads
("Alkalolu"), religious leaders, yard owners, school heads and civil
society are urged to encourage their communities to actively
participate in the cleansing exercise.

                         Copyright 2000