GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edward Secka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:46:41 -0500
   After Critically reviewing  the article, I was greatly disturbed and my
mind was choked with the contents of it. Africa was very independent and
self sustaining before the slave trade and colonialism, But since these two
menace came to the continent,  we have been struggling and are never
ourselves again. Destroying our human resources for no just cost is a curse,
This reminds me of when President Johnson opposes  Black Suffrage in 1867,
he said " If it were practicable at this time to give the Blacks a
government exclusively their own, under which they might manage their own
affairs in their own way, it would become a grave  question  whether we
ought to do so, or whether common humanity would not require to save them
from themselves."
He emphasized  that no independent government of any form has ever been
successful in The hands of the Negroes, on the contrary, wherever we have
been left to our own devices we have shown a tendency to relapse into
barbarism. A divided nation where people don't apply common sense for the
general prosperity is a cursed nation. But if anything can be proved by
known facts,if all reasoning upon evidence is not abandoned, it must be
aknowledged that in the progress of nations, Africans have shown less
capacity for government than any other continent.
What is Africa's Problem? Is it a Curse, Poor leadership or the Mass
Migration of ambitious and Talented Africans to The West.
In reality, I think if it is a curse, We Africans inflicted it on
oursellves, by been selfish, hateful and corrupt we ruined and continue to
ruin our continent with the ticking of each second.
What plans do Africans in the west have for Africa apart from being border
line mouthy in discussing African politics. I guess we should confront our
leaders with ideas and suggestion, and if necessary, show them the way.
A sense of Direction is what we need to subvert the curse into a blessing or
else we will falter.
It is our philosophical set of the sail that determines the course of our
lives, to change our current direction,we have to change our philosophy not
our circumstances, With a good philosophy our circumstances will change for
the good.

Edward