GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
oko drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 06:34:13 -0700
The value systems that are in place

I hold bachelor degree in arts and practice as a lawyer in Johannesburg for a number of years as an attorney. I am a convicted prisoner servering many years for INCITING the people to go on strike in May 1963.

I am prepaered to Die
 "Nelson Mandela"
Words of Wisdom

[log in to unmask] wrote: Bro Oko,
        A social thinker once  observed that a society is like a work of art.
Just like how the sculptor carve  a piece of wood or stone into a sculptor;
and just like how the artist with due  diligence creates a work of art, a
society also can be moulded and guided in its  change and transformation processes.

      The development of the human being must take  cognizance of the value
systems that are in place, and have been succintly  formulated to guide the
cohesiveness and integrity of the social dynamics in its  formation and cultures.
Our cultures, therefore, are replete with proverbs and  figurative language
that tend to speak of the anomaly; and in its various  functions decry greed
and vanity, and indeed all facets of the social fabric  that has a tendency to
corrupt the social and moral imperatives. The dictum,  OLLOF NJIE NE NA, begins
the self examination and critical component of most of  these proverbs and
figurative language in wollof.

      Therefore, our societies have always been  mindful of the consequences
that negatively impact the structure of our social  order. Today, most of the
things that are happening are alien to those whose  value systems demand
respect, tolerance, pride, honesty, shamefulness and  humility as the core
principles that underpins their social cohesiveness and  milieu. And, fundamental to
the social cohesiveness should be the  recognition of our conscience as an
integral part of the development of both the  individual and social entity.

     Our conscience, therefore, is not only our ability  to recognize what is
wrong from what is right; but, it should also be a  conscious determination
to will against anything that is wrong, and embrace  everything that is right.

     The individual is nurtured to follow the dictates  of his conscience;
the social conscience should also be nurtured to promote  the dictates of what
is just and proper. This can be done through various means,  the least of which
should not be the "death of outrage." Through opinion  leaders, academic
exhortations, literary criticism, journalistic activism, the  media and various
other organs, voices of reason can shape and influence the  evolution of a just
social order.

      Most Gambians are familiar with our colonial  history; the struggles
between the various parties before and after our  independence. The
divisiveness, the acrimony, the tribal sentiments, the  religious appeal and general
hostile environment in our political deliberations,  did not augur well in our
disposition to build an independent and prosperous  homeland. Our political
enterprise thrives on tribalism, individualism,  self-centeredness; and while
keeping the people ignorant and poor, our country  wallows in the nefarous act of
corruption and the deriliction of trust to public  service. The failure to
develop an active and well informed citizenry, besides  mobilizing and using people
periodically for elections, leads to a climate of  stultification of the most
basic rights of the people.

      Against this backdrop, the emergence of a  new political entity with an
encompassing set of principles that will guide a  new political dispensation
is most welcomed. The NADD MOU in my opinion, should  form the core values
through which we interact; through which we govern and  through which we guide
our social and political deliberations.

       A council of economic advisers  should be commisioned and tasked with
the job of reviewing all sectors of the  Gambian economy; how well they are
performing, what are the contraints and what  needs to be done to make them more
productive and sustainable. This council with  the inputs of all other
sectors of the economy can draw a blueprint that will  take into account the
investment needs, the job needs and the welfare needs of  the Gambian people. This
blueprint will serve as a guide to dictate government  policy.

      The manifestoes and policy documents that  are presently vying for the
people's attention, if and when they  become a government policy, can
illuminate a bight future and when the  dawn sets in a new day, the Gambia will awake
to a new reality and a new vision.

     Rene

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい