GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Foon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:15:42 -0400
The immediate objective in the quest for a comprehensive coalition is to effect a regime change .As the parties work to fashion an entity to be the vehicle for this much needed and important project,  they are simultaneously laying the foundation for a political architecture that would make our country second to none in our continent in terms democracy and pluralism. When these good folks conclude this critical national project and go on to win an election they can't loose, politics will never be the same from Kartong to Koina and from Barra to Sami Baling-to. It helps matters that all the parties currently negotiating are at their core very strong proponents of the primacy of the rule of law and see partcipatory democracy praticed in a free, fair and rule based context as the only way to move the country forward with the Gambian people eternally in charge of the fate and direction of their nation.Here are some of the siemic changes we can expect when when the coalition assumes power:

1-Redefinition of Leaders and Leadership: Gambians would for the first time experience leaders and a style of leadership that would revolve around them and their issues as opposed to the diabolical tendencies of self perpetuation and selfishness. Additionally this coalition would mitigate against concentrating too much power in the hands of one individual or faction, a condition that would nurture consensus building and also protect minority positions especially on critical policy matters.The diversity of leadership that would constitute the executive would bring greater depth and perspective which in turn would spawn careful deliberation and debate all within the context of solving the nations problems. This would replace the incompetence, corruption and foolishness that passes for policy making in the current regime. Facing a catastrophy in nearly all aspect of national life, the coalition leadership would be bring a work ethic that would seek to inspire the rest of the nation . They would do that by fully and demonstrably assuming responsibilty , defining the problems, prescribing solutions and focusing on achieving results. That too would be a welcome departure from the incompetence and excuse making that is the M.O of Yahya and his cronies who sleep on the job and ALWAYS blame other people  for grave national failures.They have never taken responsibilty for anything including daylight murders they have committed.Finally the coalition leadership would be far more persuasive and successful in conducting our nation's business beyond our borders especially after they quickly move to consolidate democracy, transparency and the rule of law and demonstrate that they are good custodians of the limited resources of The Gambian people.They will attract more aid and investment both by dint of their characters and the kinds of policies they would adapt. They will revamp our foreign policy and reorganise our embassies which today are so poorly run and underfunded that they ressemble ramshackle provincial extension offices run by people like Kabba Bajo , a guy who ought not drive a diplomat much less be one. He simply doesn't know what he is doing and yet this is the guy who is supposed to conduct Gambia's important business in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the gulf states and Southeast Asia.Chei!

2-The Birth of a real plural democracy:The success of the coalition will usher in an era that would witness the flourishing of various political parties and for the first time in our history Gambians will have an equal opportunity to see and hear from all the legal parties in the country. No longer would one faction be able to monopolise the political life of the nation through the unfair application of government and it's resources. Through legislation and regulation, political parties would all be treated the same at all times and under all circumstances. Campaign laws and a reconstituted and credible IEC would ensure a permanent level playing feild thus giving Gambians the opportunity to learn as much as they wish to from all the folks seeking their mandate. This would in turn foster greater competition among the various parties and give greater weight to merit as opposed to connections which uptill now has been the surest way to get elected . All of this would contribute to the education of The Gambian voter and make him less vulnerable to coercion and manipulation and would simultaneously also attract talented people who may not otherwise feel comfortable trying their hand at public service. Even better would be our achievement of what obtains in mature democracies and that is the periodic transfer of power from one party to the other in a peaceful orderly way without rancor and  dangerous polarisation. With a stable political dispensation charactersied by full particiaption of all legal parties, we can strengthen and reform the rest of our institutions, build our economy , give our people hope and shine as an example in a continent that has varoiusly brought pity, redicule and devastation on it's people even as the rest of the world marches into progress. From our little perch of real estate, we can be an example of a people who face down evil in our midst, work together , embrace honesty and integrity and build a progressive society that respects the rights of the citizen  and challenges him to make his community and nation better than he found it.
       Today the burden of a critical national project vis-a-vis the formation of a comprehensive coalition of  the opposition lies with the leadership of the five registered parties. They are all working very hard to successfully conclude the talks. We pray that The Almighty continue to guide and repose wisdom in them for the fate of our nation hangs precariously in the balance. The urgency of the matter requires difficult choices be made by all parties in all areas within the spirit of compromise and reason. I have total confidence in all of the folks working on this project and I am heartened by the potent dynamic that has already been created by the impressive efforts currently underway in Jarra. The coalition terminology has now been permanently etched into the political discourse , a fact that points to the near certainty of a successful outcome of the talks .This is not lost on the negotiators. Still they need our collective prayers and encouragement  and i urge folks to do just that.
Thanks
Karamba

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for,
he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr.,