GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:22:25 +0100
 Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue

Issue No. 07/2006, 30 Jan – 01 Feb 2006

*Editorial* ****  THE BUDGET, SALARIES AND COMMON SENSE

**

*KNOWLEDGE ON FISCAL POLICY*

**

How government derives revenue has been elusive to many citizens. This is
why an Imam could say as far as Mecca that sceptics had said that the APRC
government would not be able to pay salaries but had been proven to be
wrong.

The danger of criticizing critics of the government based on just common
sense knowledge is revealed in the message of the Imam.

In short, if the Imam had read the 2006 budget speech he would have
discovered that the government budget experienced a deficit of 885 million
in 2005. The deficit had to be financed by external and internal burrowing.
For the information of the Imam, personal emoluments for 2006 accounts for
202 million dalasis. Hence when people claim that government has no money it
simply means that it is engaged in deficit financing. Government can
mismanage public finance to the point of being bankrupt. However, government
is capable of borrowing to cover up its mismanagement of public finance.
This is why the Secretary of state for finance revealed that "the projected
2005 fiscal deficit is financed with a net external borrowing of D446
million and net domestic borrowing of D448 million." Infact, the APRC
government has met its budgetary shortfalls mainly by borrowing. Infact, the
government is experiencing arrears in the repayment of debts. This is what
the Secretary of State indicated on this score "We have allocated in the
2006 budget D144 million to repay outstanding arrears, which were
accumulated this year and in previous years but this is only a fraction of
the outstanding expenditure arrears." He added that "The accumulation of
arrears has become a major threat to the stability of our public finances,
and at the very least it will be necessary, in each of the next few years,
to allocate substantial sums in the budget to clear these arrears. Hence the
Imam should study public finances before trying to defend the APRC's
management of public finances.

What is best for religious leaders during pilgrimage is to promote spiritual
values instead of sinking into party politics. It is unfortunate that we do
not have an open society where there is debate on Radio and TV, otherwise we
would have invited the Imam for a debate.

* *
GGC To Start Buying Nuts   *By Surakata Danso* **

The management of the Gambia Groundnut Corporation (GGC) have confirmed to
this reporter that the corporation have secured funding for groundnut
marketing at the level of depots nationwide.

He was asked if this will address the plight of the farmers and in his
response he said that the doors of the GGC are equally opened to both the
cooperative societies and private buying agents; that any individual or body
that is able to provide 5 tonnes will be highly welcome.

However, this reporter was equally informed by some officials of Federation
of Agricultural Cooperative Societies (FACS) that even though the total
figures for their credit buying is yet to be determined by their fact
finding team, the figure is over 3400 tonnes. This, the FACS officials said
is valued at D26, 250, 000. When asked how his federation intends to address
the issue now that they could not secure any further loans from the GAMCO.
The FACS officials indicated that his federation through the Board and the
Director of Cooperatives are looking into the matter.

When asked if his federation could not transfer their business partnership
to the GGC, the source indicated that there is nothing which could stop that
since GAMCO had not signed a contract agreement with them and that any fresh
agreement with GGC would have to be discussed and agreed on.

NADD ON COURSE

The National Alliance For Democracy and Development is well on course
brushing aside rumours and speculations about a leadership crisis within the
executive Committee regarding the selection of a flag bearer, below is a
full text of a press release by the NADD executive committee on this matter.

"The number of telephone calls, letters and petitions received by members of
the Executive Committee from concerned persons at home and abroad attest to
the fact that NADD is a truly democratic political entity.  Democracy
entails the exercise of power by the people to determine their manner of
government.  Democracy requires that a leadership derives its authority from
popular consent and exercises such authority to satisfy the needs and
aspirations of the people.

The Executive Committee of NADD wishes to convey acknowledgment of the
unreserved trust and confidence that supporters of the opposition in
particular and many Gambians and non Gambians in general have in NADD.  It
takes note of the general view that NADD currently provides the only
alternative for political change in 2006. The call on the leadership to
conserve and enhance the integrity and trust that NADD has already earned
has been noted.

The demand for the leadership to put the collective interest of the Gambian
people before personal or partisan interest in the selection of a flag
bearer is given serious consideration.  In order to be accountable to the
people the Executive Committee has resolved to explain the development,
which had taken place, so far, regarding the selection of a flag bearer.  This
is designed to dispel the rumours and any climate of uncertainty, which may
surround supporters of NADD.

The first point to note is that NADD is founded on the principle of
government based on the rule of laws and procedures.  This is why all
members of the Executive Committee are signatories to the Memorandum of
Understanding.  The Executive Committee wishes to transmit that the
M.O.Uhas clearly stated how a flag bearer is to be selected.
It states among other thing that:

*"The selection of the candidate of the Alliance for the Presidential,
National Assembly and Council elections shall be done by consensus, provided
that in the event of an impasse selection shall be done by holding a primary
election restricted to party delegates on the basis of equal number of
delegates…"*

* *

The Executive Committee is mindful of this provision and has been exploring
the principle of consensus in selecting a flag bearer.

The first method utilized to try to arrive at a consensus was to request for
nomination.  Some people were nominated by members of their original
parties, others by members not belonging to their original parties. Some
nominations were not seconded.  This was followed by withdrawal of
nominations.  In short, this method gave rise to an impasse, which could
have left the Executive with no option but to hold primaries.

Subsequently, the Executive decided to explore a second method of arriving
at a consensus.  To eliminate partisan considerations the executive
committee opened up a list of candidates for selection.  It established a
vetting committee, which provides for equal representation for all political
persuations in the Executive Committee.  The committee was mandated to draw
up criteria for the selection of a NADD candidate and then grade the
candidates whose names have been entered in the list, on the basis of the
set criteria.

The vetting committee has already drawn up nine criteria for the selection
of a flag bearer, which had taken note of all the recommendations made, by
Gambians at home and abroad.  These criteria have been reviewed by the
executive committee and have received unanimous approval.

This method will therefore give rise to a consensus once each candidate
whose name appears on the list, gives an undertaking proposed by the vetting
committee.  This is how matters stand.  Any achievement made in utilizing
the current method to arrive at a consensus or otherwise shall be conveyed
to the public.

In the interim the Executive Committee wishes to express its appreciation
for the sustained interest the people have displayed in moving it closer to
achieving its final and most difficult task, in its preparation for the 2006
Presidential election. All the consultative fora established by the
supporters of NADD and all the attempts made at mediation are commendable.

This has confirmed that NADD is not a property of any person but a common
property of all those who aspire for a Gambia owned by the people and whose
wishes shall be respected by any government they put in office.  This is the
way forward.

Forward with Democracy in action!!

Long Live NADD!!!

Long Live the People!!

Issued by Executive Committee of NADD

Accountability for the press release

Coordinator Halifa Sallah

NADD Headquarter

30 Papa Sarr Street

Serrekunda

*473 Pilgrims Arrive One Death Reported*
*By Abdoulie G. Dibba*

On Friday 27th January 2006, 473 Gambian Pilgrims arrived at the Banjul
International Airport on board Logistic Air at 18:00 hours. Speaking to this
reporter upon their arrival at the Airport, the pilgrims expressed happiness
that they have returned home safely. Narrating their experience, the
pilgrims pointed out that they underwent difficulties in performing their
hajj rituals due to the limited time that they had. According to the
pilgrims, due to their late departure, they went to Mina after leaving
Banjul International Airport to start their hajj rituals and had no time to
rest. According to the pilgrims, they were only able to visit the prophet's
tomb at Medina after the completion of hajj and not before as it's usually
practised. The pilgrims called on the authority responsible for hajj matters
to make their preparations on time to avoid unnecessary delay. This reporter
learnt that all the Gambian pilgrims are healthy and safe except one Sheriff
Jammeh the Alkalo of Kekuta Kunda in Baddidu who passed away after a short
illness.

* *

*NAYAFS RESPONDS TO SUKU SINGATEH'S ALLEGATIONS*

* *

Let us first of all start by expressing our disappointment in the way and
manner in which you, Hon. Suku Singhateh, want to handle the case with Group
Juboo. Group Juboo is an affiliated farmers' organization to NaYAFS. For
these reasons, we are at NaYAFS deem it quite fitting to come in at this
point in time. In your attack on Group Juboo and ActionAid on the other hand
which featured on the Foroyaa issue of Friday 19th - 22nd January 2006, you
stated that you wrote to Group Juboo to explain your delay in payment, which
you attributed to the border closure. But Honourable Sir, you failed to go
further to tell people whether after the border issue was resolved, you
actually went ahead to sell the groundnuts in Senegal or not? If you had
actually sold the nuts (which we believe you did) why are you not paying
Group Juboo their money? Or were the nuts sold on credit to your buyers? If
so did you attempt to give Group Juboo any correspondence which might have
ensued between you and your buyer as a result of your effort to recover your
monies from them so you can eventually be able to settle the farmers? You
also said you have the interest of the farmers, that is why you went into
this arrangement. Honourable Sir, can you tell us what is there in the whole
arrangement and your subsequent action that will show you have the interest
of the farmers at heart. The whole thing is that this was to your own
interest not for anyone else not even for the APRC that you are trying to
hide behind now that you have failed to honour your commitment.

You also said (according to the newspaper article) that you made attempts to
secure a four million dalasis loan for Group Juboo and that you were
supposed to be responsible of the interest? May I say that your attempt was
to disintegrate Group Juboo by corrupting its management so that they can do
private and personal cement business with you at the detriment of their
membership? The interest you were supposed to pay on that loan could have
been used to pay the farmers their money. Honourable Sir, you are the one
that needs a loan, so go take it and pay the farmers their money. If you
want to save your property that would be more practical than trying to
secure a loan for somebody you already owe money.

You also said that you discovered that ActionAid The Gambia and Group Juboo
were involved in the illegal transfer of your mortgaged property worth over
17million dalasis. As ignorant as I may be in law, I know in simple English
terms that a mortgaged property is supposed to be transferred even before
the agreement is signed. May I please refer you and the general public to
the part on the agreement dealing with the mortgaged property as indicated
below:

*. In the event in which the purchaser fails to pay for the said consignment
of groundnuts, the Seller shall be at liberty to sell off the Purchaser's
security for the groundnuts sold to him, in order to be able to recoup
monies due to the Seller, plus amount of money due and payable for Capital
Gains Tax and Stamp Duty for the said sale, because it is the omission of
the Purchaser that has warranted the sale.*

**

*In the event in which the Purchaser fails to pay fully for the said
consignment, on or before the 25th September 2005 the Seller shall also sign
the Assignment, and recoup all monies due and owing to it by the purchaser,
without need to resorting to court action.*

*In the event in which the Purchaser the pays the Seller in full for the
said consignment of groundnuts on or before the due date of 25th Day of
September 2005, the Seller shall return the Purchaser's title deeds to him,
confiscate the presigned assignment and issue him with a receipt and a
formal discharge for all liabilities for the said consignment.*

*The Purchaser hereby authorizes the Seller to sell off his property in the
event in which he defaults in payment for the said consignment of
groundnuts.*

**

However, you stated that you wrote to the Department of State for Local
Government and Lands to block the transfer of your land. Honourable Sir,
this goes further to question your earlier assertion that you went into this
business arrangement in the interest of the farmers, which does not hold
water. As if that was not sufficient you gave them four cheques that all
bounced knowing fully well that if they want to resort to selling your
mortgaged property you will use your influence to block the process and you
have done just that. Hon. Sir, such actions are the least expected from a
person in your position, knowing that it was poor farmers that put you in
that privileged position you are now enjoying. Honourable you owe Gambian
farmers and the wider community an apology because even where you succeeded
in blocking whatever it was, that is not supposed to be something you should
boast of in the papers because it is tantamount to provocation.

Honourable Sir, we know Group Juboo might not able to push through the
transfer of the said property if you block it with your heavy fist. However,
be rest assured that as advocates and activists representing the voice of
the farmers we will never leave this issue laid to rest until and unless the
last butut you owe the farmers' group is paid up. Be rest assured that you
may be able to block the transfer at the Local Government but you cannot
block out voices and our pens. We will not stop using every available means
of communication to react to whatever you say and exert pressure on you
until you pay this money.

Honourable Sir, you said the Director of ActionAid is an opposition (note
please I am out to holding brief for him) but I think this allegation came a
bit late into the day after you already got what you wanted. This is not the
time you should know who is an opposition and who is not. We want the whole
country to know that your party (APRC) has nothing to do in this, because at
the time of entering into this agreement, you never had them as witness and
also as part of the contract. Having failed to state whether part of the
whole profit is either going to be donated to the APRC party or to the state
or any charity for that matter, questions the basis of your allegation?

I hope no one takes you seriously on this allegation because it has the
potential of sowing discord. What do you want anyone to do as a result of
your allegation? Do you want government to fine Yahya Sanyang because he is
an opposition in your own context or better still do you want them to write
and close down ActionAid because its Country Director is an opposition? I
really wonder as to what the rational is in bringing the whole issue of
politics into this business at this hour?

Honourable Singhateh, it is in you business and to your interest that you
try to further strengthen and cement the cordial relationship that so
happily exists between ActionAid International The Gambia and government,
not otherwise. Remember, the scheme is not being replicated in other parts
of the country because of your blockade and failure to settle the poor
farmers.

At this juncture it is important to state that AATG provided over 18million
Dalasis to four farmers' organizations namely NaYAFS, NAWFA, AFET and ADWAC
to similarly work with their members on the Seed and Cereal Banking project
which is designed in a way that purchases, storage and decision on the
utilization of the purchased seeds and cereals lie exclusively on the
farmers themselves. Through this scheme, members of these organizations
receive seeds and cereals from the savings scheme and even when disaster
hits, stores are visited to access cereals to support victims.

What ActionAid is doing with government and the wider public is numerous.
They intervene in the areas of education, health, agriculture, women
empowerment and local governance among countless other programmes which
continue to improve the poor people's living, conditions.

In conclusion, we want to finally urge you to settle the poor farmers their
outstanding balance of money so that they continue buying groundnuts to save
their members from hunger and poverty. If you really stand to represent the
poor farmers of this country, waste no time in paying Group Juboo their
money, stop using politics as a cover and stop smearing other people's
images. As farmers are our constituents and Group Juboo happens to belong to
that category and also an affiliate member, we would not relent in our
position until we see to it that you have finally settled them the soonest.

SIDIA ON THE BUDGET SPEECH

*Part 5*

**

Foroyaa has been publishing the speech of Hon. Sidia Jatta, National
Assembly Member for Wuli West. In this issue, we shall publish the rest of
the speech below.

**

*On Trade*

**

Mr. Speaker, Trade, Paragraph 72 of the speech Mr. Speaker, Independence
does not mean simply having a National Flag flying high on your car bonnet
and a National Anthem. That is not independence. That is just an apparatus
of independence.  Independence means your capacity to create what you cannot
do without. You must produce what you need fundamentally; what you cannot
depend on others for, food, for example. If I want to depend on outside
factors for my food, my life is precarious. I must develop the capacity to
produce my food. Yes, the world must live on international trade, but you
see you must not always take; you must also give! If you cannot give but you
can always take; you are dead. That's why when we were ratifying the ECOWAS
Protocol relating to the definition of the origin of products originating
from member States, I said that is a challenge to the member countries;
challenging in the sense that we are expected not only to be importing but
we must also export. And we cannot do that unless we develop the capacity to
create that which we are going to export.

We have, for example, our groundnut, which has become a liability but
before, it was the only foreign exchange earner for this country. And that's
why I was very sad, Mr. Speaker, when I read in paragraph 82 of the
Secretary of State's speech that tourism is the largest foreign exchange
earner. That really made me very sad. It made me sad because it means that
our economy has become very precarious because that is an outside factor,
which is beyond our control. We cannot control Tourism, and we cannot allow
our economy to be dependent on those factors that are beyond our control. It
means our economy shall be so precarious that it can collapse at anytime.
Gambia is not even a tourist destination where the rich tourists come. Poor
tourists come here, not the rich ones. That's why, Mr. Speaker, now tourists
have learnt to live with their Gambian friends.   Some tourists with
friends, who have established building here, go there and rent there during
their stay. I know some tourists, I know some Europeans who have built homes
here and rent it out to their tourist friends whenever they are here. This
means that they are even depriving the hotels from earning that foreign
exchange that you (SOS) are saying tourism is going to earn so the whole
issue of tourism is taking a totally different dimension. Many of the
tourists have developed friendship; they live in Gambian homes, many have
those homes, which they rent out to friends when they come here. There are
many of them. I suggest that the Secretary of State for Finance commission
people to study this situation. You will see that this is what is obtaining.

So I am with the view that we must developed skills for adding value to our
raw materials. You see groundnut has become a liability in the sense that
what was bought last year still stops there. It still stopped there! Suppose
we have our mill, we would have milled it. We are producing groundnuts, but
we import groundnut oil very expensively, and then we import soap, we import
margarine butter and we import cardboard for ceiling. All these are made out
of one product and that's groundnut. This means that we are losing because
we export it as raw very cheaply and we import back the same after value has
been added to it, very expensively. And some of us cannot recognize it
anymore. So why can't we simply develop skills for adding value to our
groundnut to go out of this perennial problem of how to buy it or where to
sell it. Once we can add value to it, we buy what we can consume and we sell
the rest to even our neighbours here and beyond. It possible Mr. Speaker! I
suggest that these are some of the things that Secretary of State must
consider.

**

*Financial Management*

**

Mr. Speaker, I have also talked about this but just to re-emphasise, and
that is the issue of financial management. You would agreed with me that the
only way out of it is that we must respect the provision of the
constitution.

Mr. Speaker what I have found interesting is that, I don't know whether it
was by design or by omission. The Secretary of State has not talked about
this year's groundnut trade season. Some people have talked about it, I
remember the question of the member for Niamina East, Hon. Eliman Secka, for
the Secretary of State to tell us those who

                                                  &
nbsp;
                                                        are going to buy our
groundnuts. I think we should know because somebody was saying that the
trade season was going to start on 22nd Dec. 2005. That's Thursday but up
till now we don't know, I think we should know those who are going to buy
our groundnuts. We should know because this question was raised last year
and it was answered in a curious way and then of course when the whole thing
started, everything was in a fiasco right from the beginning, even though we
were promised by the Secretary of State here that every thing was going to
be rosy. That's why the SOS came back here to reveal the whole problem; the
majority leader was shocked (laughter) seriously. Mr. Speaker I think the
time has come for the SOS for Finance to commission people who are going to
determine those who are going to buy our groundnuts and then to involve the
National Assembly even if not all but some to form a select committee to
help determine who is to buy our groundnuts. I think that is very important
because year in year out we have the same problem. I think that's very
important.

To conclude Mr. Speaker, I'm going to crown it all here. I promised that I
was going to talk about it seriously Hon. SOS but some people have decided
to talk about it. So I would just say few things about it, that is, the
issue of poverty reduction. Mr. Speaker, indebtedness leads to
privatisation. That's what gave rise to privatisation in 1985. That was when
the GPMB was sold out. Indebtedness put an end to subsidies to social
services and that's why since 1985 instead of paying 75 bututs or D1.00 to
hospitals for consultation, we are paying now D5 and that is still going on
and maybe it would increase. Indebtedness can lead to the loss of your
sovereignty in one way or the other. It can because you depend on decision
been made by outside institutions. You are controlled by them! And to quote
you (SOS) "A precondition for reaching the Enhanced HIPC Completion Point is
that the Gambia implements satisfactorily an IMF supported poverty Reduction
and Growth Facility (PRGF) Programme." IMF can put a condition that this
thing happens, otherwise it would not come in; and once they come in, they
direct, they control and that is why we must struggle to put an and to this
whole debt issue.

I couldn't agree more with the member for Niamina East Hon. Eliman Secka,
when he said that the budget is an honest and frank statement of what is
obtaining in the Gambia. I agree. But some of them are so precarious that if
you read them you are frightened. Because sometimes you have the impression
that nothing can happen in this country except we eradicate this
indebtedness. Many issues are linked to the reduction or eradication of the
indebtedness. Infact we cannot eradicate indebtedness. We are doing certain
things inorder to have debt relief or debt cancellation. But we are doing it
at the detriment of providing the basic needs of our people! There is no
doubt that hospitals and health centres are not properly taken care of. You
need to be in of the places where some of us live to see what happens there
everyday. If you see that, you will not think that I'm telling a story. I
invite anybody who cares to choose any day at random and go to "Yorrobawol"
at night in particular and see what you are going to see there! That is not
what we are supposed to be in now!

*SALARY AND PENSIONS *

**

I talked about salary increase when we were reviewing the estimates and
maybe I would say it again that, I don't know what is going to happen but
honestly I think there is an absolute need to do something even though you
(SOS) said when we were reviewing the Estimates that cannot be done unless
the whole Salary structure is reviewed. There is an absolute need for
Pensioners' Pensions to be reviewed. Mr. Speaker, there are Pensioners
earning less than D100 a month and these are people who had worked all their
lives for this country. And now they cannot live! We have this reality at
our hands and you tell me nothing can be done about it. We must do
something!!! These are people who had served this country all their lives
and now they cannot even survive because of what they are earning as a
result of their Pensions, I think that we can do something or must try and
do something about it

**

*The end!*

FARMERS IN A DILEMMA *By Musa Barrow* **

No place to sell their groundnuts Despite two press releases by the
Department of State for Agriculture announcing the beginning of this year's
groundnut trade season, and reassurance by the Secretary of State for
Agriculture during his Nation wide tour in which he indicated that
Government was doing every thing necessary to buy farmers' groundnuts and
avoid repetition of credit buying which was the norm in previous years.

As far as farmers in Wuli District are concerned all these statements, by
government officials are nothing but a complete fantasy because since those
announcements were made not a single groundnut selling point commonly known
as "Secco" has been opened in Wuli. This situation leaves most farmers in a
state of financial hardship and absolute outrage. According to one Man a
farmer by occupation who wished to remain anonymous, also a native of Jah
Kunda Village, "It is shameful that while Jammeh and his high ranking
officials are flying outside the country on special flights, driving
expensive cars farmers such as they, who entirely depend on their groundnuts
to generate income do not have any place to sell their groundnut." The man
further described the lack of groundnut trade season in that area as a very
sad situation, which is a clear indication that the regime of President
Jammeh has failed the entire Nation. He stated that the backbone of The
Gambia's economy is Agriculture. He asked, "How can we have a strong economy
when farmers who are the engines of agriculture are poorly motivated?"

Fatou Touray another farmer and a house wife in Jah-kunda village, said not
much has been gained during the last farming season, but even the little
that has been gained cannot be sold. She went on to explain that insects
have started infecting their groundnuts, which she described as utterly
shocking and deplorable.

*CORPSE FOUND BURIED IN THE MANGROVES*

*By Fabakary B. Ceesay **And Abdoulie G. Dibba*

****

The body of an old woman was found buried in the mangroves along the Banjul
high way just opposite Sting Corner.  The body, which was, buried about
fifty inches deep in the mud was identify as Zabell Jatta from Manjai Kunda,
an Oyster seller along the Banjul Highway.  According to Zaheline Jarjue, a
colleague of the deceased, they last saw Zabell on Monday evening at the
site where they usually find Oyster.  "We thought that she might have gone
home earlier to do her domestic work but we were surprised that she did not
come back to work on Tuesday evening and today (Wednesday). Her failure to
come caused an alarm among us and we started to look for her in the
Mangroves," she said.  According to her, while looking for her they came to
a spot in the mangroves that looked like a wrestling ground.

Leafs and branches could be seen scattered around and there they saw a heap
of mud gathered at one place like a tomb and that they started to use their
cutlasses to dig it until they came to a body lying in the mud, they then
decided to inform the police about it.  Awa Jatta another colleague of the
deceased told reporters that some residents of old Jeshwang also told them
that they heard noises coming from the direction of the mangroves late on
Monday evening.  There was a crowd of onlookers at the scene. When the PIU
personnel, Immigration officers and personnel from the Serious Crime Unit
arrived they removed the corpse from the mud and took it to RVTH for post
mortem.

When contacted the Police PRO ASP Aziz Y. Bojang said that the body has been
identify by relatives and that the cause of the death is not yet known as
they are waiting for the result from the autopsy.

**