GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pierre Gomez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:46:25 -0500
Certainly Oko, i don't think i can disagree with most of your opinions. The wind of change that Churchills of Britain spoke about does not seem to be the one blowing across the sub-region. Rather, it is the desert heat that is being propelled by AK-47s from liberia to Cassamance. And like Baba Galleh Jallow wrote in the Daily Observer, African nations are like an "egg on the rocks". That is we are all in one way or the other nurturing fragile democracies that can disintegrate into chaos within a second.

Wade not only did he fail to realise this imminent danger, he started his presidency on an anti-panAfricanists platform. He attacked the Gambia saying he was not going to allow it to mediate in the peace process with Cassamance. He told Senegalese people that Liberians and S/Leonans are all rebels who are participating in the Cassamance crisis. This made Senegalese people to attack all refugees in Senegal. He quicckly befriended Kumba Yalla so as to undermine the existing relationship with Yaya Jammeh. By this, the two worked clandestinely to eliminate General Ansumana Manneh as a way of hurting Gambian people. He continue to tell Senegalese press that Gambia is the main cause of Senegambia problems. As a result, GPTC buses were always vandalised as they travel to and fro Dakar. I was not surprised when Gambias responded vigorously in june against Senegalese people after the football match. Don't forget that this was the type of unafrican attitude that made bigger Brother Obasanjo to brush down Wade at the OAU(AU) meeting, like a small boy. On that day, Obasanjo spoke like General Obasanjo as other presidents clapped openly in a show of disgaust with this European brain child.

Just 2 weeks ago, a journalist for RFI was hurriedly deported for interviewing a rebel. The level of intolerance in this so called model of the sub-region is beyond comprehension. Attacks on newsmedia is becoming a popular rhyme. Well you better wake up or be woken up.

RESPECT YOUR CITIZENS AND YOU NEIGHBOURS, PERIOD.
PG