GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:22:52 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:20:33 +0000
From: Charlotte Utting <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] FW: [Adna-list] UPDATE: Health Experts urge Bush to Commit
    to AIDS Initiative

----------
From: Nunu Kidane <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:25:00 -0800
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Adna-list] UPDATE: Health Experts urge Bush to Commit to AIDS
Initiative

ADNA UPDATE: 030127
Message from: Physicians for Human Rights
For contact information see also:
http://www.africaaction.org/adna

January 22, 2002

CONTACT:   John Heffernan, 617 413-6407; [log in to unmask]
Barbara Ayotte, 617 695- 0041 ext. 210; [log in to unmask]
                         www.phrusa.org/www.healthactionaids.org

UNPRECEDENTED GROUP OF LEADING HEALTH AND AIDS EXPERTS CALL ON PRESIDENT
BUSH TO COMMIT TO NEW AIDS INITIATIVE

More than 100 leading U.S. health professionals from across the country,
committed to the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS, together for the
first time, sent a letter to President Bush today outlining
recommendations that, if implemented, could save millions of lives.
Health professionals, including a Nobel laureate, deans of medical and
public health schools, two former U.S. Surgeons General, leading
immunologists, virologists, epidemiologists, nurses, physicians, and
others called upon President Bush to commit to reversing the terrible
scourge of HIV/AIDS by taking eight concrete steps.   The letter to the
President is part of the Health Action AIDS campaign, a project of
Physicians for Human Rights, which brings together experts from the
health community to combat global AIDS.  (See full advanced copy of the
letter and list of signatories at
www.phrusa.org/campaigns/aids/letter012203.htm
To contact signatories call John Heffernan at 617-413-6407)

The President recently told delegates at the U.S.-Sub-Saharan Africa
Trade and Economics Cooperation Forum in Mauritius, via video-conference,
that the U.S. will continue to lead the world in providing resources to
fight AIDS. The eight point plan endorsed today by an unprecedented
assembly of leading health professionals concerned about HIV/AIDS
provides the President with the road-map for proving that leadership,
said Holly G. Atkinson, M.D., Board President, Physicians for Human
Rights.

Another leading AIDS expert and signatory of the letter, Jim Yong Kim,
M.D. of Partners In Health, said,  The AIDS crisis is the worst health
disaster in 600 years and the participation of Americans, including
health care professionals, in bringing attention and resources to the
problem has been shamefully inadequate.  Because infectious diseases
know no borders, we as health professionals must take action and the
Health Action AIDS campaign is a very important step.  Health
professionals have played a critical role in movements against other
public health crises. We can do more in the battle against AIDS.  There
is little question that our response to this epidemic will define our
generation so we must act now,said Kim.

The letter, signed by Dr. Antonia Novello, former U.S. Surgeon General
under President George Bush, Sr.; Dr. Julius Richmond, former U.S.
Surgeon General under President Carter; Dr. Paul Volberding, Professor
of Medicine, University of

-more-

California, San Francisco and Chair of the Board of the International
AIDS Society, plus more than 95 other health professionals expert in the
fight against AIDS, asked President Bush to develop a new HIV/AIDS
initiative, weeks before he submits his fiscal year 04 budget.  The
group urges the President to incorporate the following essential
recommendations:

" The U.S. should contribute at least $3.5 billion annually to fight the
AIDS pandemic. These funds would support both bi-lateral and
multi-lateral initiatives, including the Global Fund to Fight AIDS,
Tuberculosis and Malaria.

" U.S. assistance should help to scale uphealth infrastructure.
Investing in health infrastructure projects aimed at supporting doctors,
nurses and other health workers in AIDS-burdened countries will ensure a
lasting contribution and enhance capacity to respond to this crisis and
others.

" Support expanding the existing life-saving prevention and treatment
programs, including mother-to-child transmission prevention programs and
MTCT Plus programs for the treatment of mothers and their families, all
proven to successfully thwart the scourge of AIDS and already supported
by the Bush Administration.

" Promote scaling up prevention programs including school-based and peer
AIDS education, access to condoms, voluntary counseling and mass media
campaigns.

" Enhance assistance to people caring for children orphaned by AIDS, of
whom Africa alone has an estimated 11 million.

" Develop an AIDS Corpsto provide important support for health
professionals in AIDS-burdened countries and permanently enhance local
health infrastructures.

" Announce an expanded debt-relief plan that will free up crucial funds
allowing impoverished countries the ability to fight AIDS by allocating
resources to health, education, agriculture, micro-credit, and other
development programs.

" Develop an initiative to support the judicial and legal infrastructure
to address discrimination and subordination of women and girls.

Millions of people in Southern Africa alone face the possibility of
starvation because AIDS is decimating the working age populations in
those countries and reducing the capacities of families and nations to
respond to food shortages.  The Bush administration has an opportunity
to demonstrate its global leadership by committing itself to carrying
out a doable HIV/AIDS initiative based on sound public health
principles, designed to slow the progress of this pandemic and institute
treatment to significantly increase life expectancy for the millions
already infected,said letter signatory Allan Rosenfield, M.D., Dean of
the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University.

Both Secretary of State Colin Powell, who has called  global HIV/AIDS
a catastrophe worse than terrorism, and now President Bush at the
Africa trade conference last week, have committed the U.S. to taking the
lead in the fight against HIV/AIDS.  A commitment beyond rhetoric will
save the lives of millions,said Atkinson.

  Founded in 1986, Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), based in Boston,
MA, mobilizes the health professions to promote health by protecting
human rights. As a founding member of the International Campaign to Ban
Landmines, PHR shared the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize.

  ###

January 22, 2003

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States of America
The White House
Washington, DC

Dear President Bush:

We write to you as American physicians and nurses, scientists, and other
health professionals committed to the prevention of HIV/AIDS and the
care and treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS in the United States and
abroad.  We understand that you are developing a new initiative on
HIV/AIDS.  We respectfully offer our own eight recommendations based on
sound public health principles as well as a moral commitment to save
millions of lives.

First, we call upon you to significantly increase U.S. funding for
international HIV/AIDS programs, including for the Global Fund to Fight
AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.  The WHO Commission on Macroeconomics
and Health estimated that excluding research, about $14 billion is
needed annually to fight the AIDS pandemic.  The United States should
contribute at least 25 percent of this sum.  Thus, as you prepare your
FY 2004 budget, we urge you to accommodate a minimum of $3.5 billion for
international HIV/AIDS spending, plus research.  These funds should
complement, not replace, current development and relief funds.

Second, we urge that your plan include a major commitment to rapidly
scale up health infrastructure in AIDS-burdened countries.  Poor health
infrastructure has been used to justify negligible contributions for
care and treatment, but the proper response to poor infrastructure is to
invest heavily to improve it.  We urge you to immediately initiate a
generous program aimed at supporting doctors, nurses, and other health
workers fighting the disease globally.  Funding is needed to retain
health professionals who emigrate in search of better opportunities; to
enhance skills of health professionals and others for their role in
treatment, care, and prevention; to purchase medication, supplies, and
equipment for health facilities, and; to upgrade and expand health
facilities.  The health infrastructure your program generates will
enhance countriescapacity to respond to other critical health issues,
such as deaths in childbirth, diarrheal disease, and malaria, and will
be a lasting contribution to the health of the world.

Third, we urge that your new initiative significantly expand existing
programs that treat people with AIDS and establish additional ones. In
April, the World Health Organization announced a goal of providing at
least 3 million people in developing countries with anti-retroviral
therapy by 2005.  We call upon the United States to lead this global
effort.  In every country, health care systems already exist that could
form the backbone of the infrastructure for a comprehensive approach to
prevention, care, and treatment. For example, although Malawi is one of
the worlds poorest countries, more than 90 percent of mothers receive
antenatal care from a doctor, trained nurse, or midwife.  Existing
health systems make some treatment possible today in every country.  We
commend your commitment to enhancing mother-to-child transmission
prevention programs to treat mothers, their children, and other family
members.

Fourth, the United States should promote a massive scaling up of
prevention programs.  A recent study published in the Lancet found that
if prevention is amply expanded, the annual incidence of new HIV
infections in adults could be reduced from about 4 million now to 1.5
million within five years.  We urge you to commit the United States to
this goal.  This will require the significant scaling up of prevention
interventions, including school-based and peer AIDS education, outreach
programs for commercial sex workers and men who have sex with men,
access to condoms, treatment for sexually transmitted infections,
voluntary counseling and testing, and mass media campaigns.

Fifth, we urge the United States to dramatically enhance assistance to
people caring for children orphaned by AIDS and achieve the goals laid
out in the UN Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS.  These goals
include ensuring that orphans and children infected and affected by
HIV/AIDS receive appropriate psycho-social support, and are enrolled in
school and have access to shelter, good nutrition, health care, and
social services on an equal basis with other children. Orphans and
vulnerable children should also be protected from abuse and
exploitation.

Sixth, we encourage you to develop an AIDS Corps,as outlined in the
U.S. Leadership on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Act of 2002.  The
AIDS Corps would enable American health professionals to provide
important support for our colleagues in countries heavily affected by
HIV/AIDS.  Participants in the AIDS Corps could assist health
professionals in all aspects of health care, including prevention and
treatment of HIV/AIDS.  We urge that the program be designed to
permanently enhance local health infrastructure.  Compensation for
Americans working abroad should be provided out of a separate budget, as
was the case with the Peace Corps, so that the program does not compete
for foreign aid funds.

Seventh, we urge you to announce a debt relief framework that goes
beyond the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries Initiative. We would welcome
your endorsement of the Debt Relief Enhancement Act, and encourage you
to urge Congress to pass the legislation quickly.  Expanded debt relief
for impoverished countries is crucial to fighting the AIDS epidemic,
both to free up countriesown resources to spend on HIV/AIDS programs
and to enable them to significantly increase spending on health,
education, agriculture, micro-credit, and other development programs,
all of which must be part of a comprehensive response to HIV/AIDS.  If
poor, heavily-indebted countries spend their limited resources on
HIV/AIDS and other health issues, education, and other social programs
rather than on servicing their debts, they should not be penalized.

Eighth, we urge that your initiative develop the judicial and legal
infrastructure to address discrimination and subordination of women and
girls.  Prevention infrastructure must include robust programs to
prosecute rape and sexual violence and assist survivors.   We urge you
to fund initiatives that educate the public on womens rights, support
women living with HIV/AIDS, upgrade women and girlslegal and economic
status, enlarge women and girlsaccess to health care (including
reproductive health care), and assist governments in preventing and
prosecuting rape, sex trafficking, and child prostitution.  We also urge
you to use all appropriate tools to pressure governments to combat
discrimination against people with HIV/AIDS and high-risk groups.

Your presidency and those that follow will be judged in part for the
quality of leadership demonstrated to combat this pandemic.  When you
took office, experts grossly underestimated how quickly the pandemic
would spread.  Now we know that the disease threatens to explode in the
worlds most populous nations ­ 50 to 75 million people could be
infected by 2010 in China, India, Russia, Nigeria, and Ethiopia ­ and
continues to reach record levels in Southern Africa.  In Botswana,
nearly 40 percent of adults have HIV/AIDS.  When you took office,
experts predicted that HIV/AIDS would have dramatic, societal effects.
Two years later, 14 million people in Southern Africa face the very real
possibility of mass starvation because AIDS strikes the most productive
members of society, including farmers.  When you took office, about
10,000 Africans were receiving anti-retroviral therapy.  Today few more
than 30,000 of the 30 million Africans with the disease are receiving
treatment.

When you took office, the funding that the United States and other
wealthy nations provided to combat HIV/AIDS was only a fraction of what
was needed.  That has not changed.

Even as we orient our nation towards fighting terrorism and weapons of
mass destruction, we urge you to commit your Administration to reversing
the terrible tide of HIV/AIDS and aiding those who are suffering and
dying of this treatable disease.  As HIV/AIDS consumes entire
communities the world over, and threatens our own national security, we
look forward to the prospect of a major new presidential initiative on
HIV/AIDS.  The fate of millions of people rests in your hands.

Sincerely,

Holly Atkinson, MD
Lecturer, Weill Cornell Medical College, Department of Public Health
President, Physicians for Human Rights
New York, NY

and

Donald I. Abrams, MD
University of California, San Francisco Positive Health Program
San Francisco General Hospital
Professor of Clinical Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA

Kimberly Adams-Tufts, ND, RN, FAAN
Assistant Professor of Nursing
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH

Marcia Angell, MD
Senior Lecturer on Social Medicine, Harvard School of Medicine
Former Editor-in-Chief, New England Journal of Medicine
Cambridge, MA

Carol J. Baker, MD
Professor of Pediatrics, Molecular Virology & Microbiology
Head, Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX

David Baltimore, PhD
President, California Institute of Technology
Nobel Laureate
Pasadena, CA

John G. Bartlett, MD
Director, AIDS Services, Johns Hopkins University
Chief, Infectious Disease,
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD

Georges Benjamin, MD, FACP
Executive Director, American Public Health Association
Washington, DC

Alan Berkman, MD
Coordinator, Global AIDS Projects
Mailman School of Public Health
Columbia University
New York, NY

Donald M. Berwick, MD, MPP
President and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement
Boston, MA

Lucy Bradley-Springer, PhD, RN, ACRN
President, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
Denver CO

Allan Brandt, PhD
Kass Professor of the History of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Cambridge, MA

The Brown University Center for AIDS Research
Providence, RI

Donald Burke, MD
Director, Center for Immunization Research
Professor of International Health, Epidemiology and Medicine
Johns Hopkins University Schools of Public Health and Medicine
Principal Investigator, Johns Hopkins University AIDS Vaccine Evaluation
Unit Baltimore, MD

Charles Carpenter, MD
Director, Brown University Center for AIDS Research
Providence, RI

Irvin Chen, PhD
Director, UCLA AIDS Institute
Professor, Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Genetics, and Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

Mardge Cohen, MD
Director of Womens HIV Research
Cook County Hospital
Chicago, IL

Joseph Colagreco, MS, APRN, BC, ANP-C
Clinical Assistant Professor of Nursing
Steinhardt School of Education
New York University
New York, NY

James Curran, MD, MPH
Dean, Rollins School of Public Health
Emory University
Atlanta, GA

Richard T. D'Aquila, MD
Director, Division of Infectious Diseases
The Addision B. Scoville Professor of Medicine
and Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Joseph R. Dalovisio MD
Head, Section on Infectious Diseases
Oschner Clinic Foundation
New Orleans, LA

Nils Daulaire, MD, MPH
President and CEO, Global Health Council
Washington, DC

Frank Davidoff, MD
Editor Emeritus
Annals of Internal Medicine
Wethersfield, CT

Roger Detels, MD, MS
Director, UCLA/ Fogarty AIDS International Training and Research Program

Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health
Los Angeles, CA

Jeffrey M. Drazen, MD
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA
Terry Dwelle, MD
Bismark, ND

Terry Dwelle, MD
Bismark, ND

Victor Dzau, MD
Physician-in-Chief, Brigham and Womens Hospital
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Leon Eisenberg, MD
Professor Emeritus, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Joseph J. Eron Jr., MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Chapel Hill, NC Victor Dzau, MD
Physician-in-Chief, Brigham and Womens Hospital
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Max Essex, MD, MGF
Lasker Professor & Chair, Harvard AIDS Institute and
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases
Harvard School of Public Health
Boston, MA

John Fahey, MD
Professor, Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

Paul Farmer, MD, PhD
Maud and Lillian Presley Professor of Medical Anthropology
Co-Director, Program in Infectious Disease and Social Change, Department
of Social Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Vice Chair, Division of Social Medicine and Health Inequalities
Brigham and Womens Hospital
Medical Director, Zanmi Lasante, Cange, Haiti
Founding Director, Partners In Health
Boston, MA

Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, RN, FAAN
Elizabeth Brooks Ford Professor of Nursing
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH

William Foege, MD
Professor Emeritus of International Health, Emory University
Atlanta, GA

Donna Futterman, MD
Director, Adolescent AIDS Program, Childrens Hospital at Montefiore
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx, NY

Eric Goosby, MD
CEO, Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation
San Francisco, CA

Warner Greene, MD, PhD
Director, Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology
Professor of Medicine, Microbiology and Immunology
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA

W.B. Greenough III, MD
Johns Hopkins Geriatric Center
Baltimore, MD

H. Jack Geiger, MD
Logan Professor of Community Medicine, Emeritus
City University of New York Medical School
New York, NY

David Gilbert, MD
Providence Portland Medical Center
Portland, OR

Gary L. Gottlieb, MD
President, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Boston, MA

Jerome Groopman, MD
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Howard Grossman, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons
Polari Medical Group
New York, NY

Ronald J. Grossman, MD
Anderson Clinical Research, Inc
New York, NY

Ashley T. Haase, MD
RegentsProfessor and Head, Department of Microbiology
Director, AHC Biomedical Genomics Center
Director, Minnesota Division, Great Lakes Regional Center for AIDS
Research University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN

Howard Hiatt, MD
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Cambridge, MA

Martin Hirsch, MD
Infectious Disease Associates
Massachusetts General Hospital

William Holzemer, RN, PhD, FAAN
Director, International Center for HIV/AIDS Research and Clinical
Training Nursing
University of California, San Francisco, School of Nursing
San Francisco, CA

Jim Hoxie, MD
Director, University of Pennsylvania Center for AIDS Research
Philadelphia, PA

Thomas James, PhD
Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Professor of Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Radiology
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA

Warren D. Johnson, Jr., MD
Cornell University Medical College
New York, NY

Michael Katz, MD
Senior VP for Research and Global Programs, March of Dimes, Birth
Defects Foundation
Carpentier Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics, Columbia University School
of Medicine
White Plains, NY

Nancy Khardori, MD
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Springfield, IL

Jim Kim, MD, PhD
Trustee, Partners In Health
Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Rebecca T. Kirkland, MD, MPH
Chief, Academic General Pediatrics
Senior Associate Dean for Curriculum
Professor, Pediatric Endocrinology
Texas Children's Hospital
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX

Robert S. Klein, MD
Professor of Medicine, and Epidemiology & Social Medicine
Montefiore Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
New York, NY

Mark Kline, MD
Director, Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative
Professor of Pediatrics
Head, Section of Retrovirology
Baylor College of Medicine
Texas Children's Hospital
Houston, TX

Nancy Kline, PhD, RN, FAAN
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX

Mathilde Krim, PhD
Founder, Chairman of the Board, American Foundation for AIDS Research
(amFAR)
Adjunct Professor, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
New York, NY

Mark D. Lacy, MD
US Navy Medical Reserve
Flagstaff, AZ

Christine Laine, MD, MPH
Senior Deputy Editor
Annals of Internal Medicine
Philadelphia, PA

Peter Lamptey, MD, DrPH
Senior Vice President
Family Health International
Arlington, VA

Jeffrey C. Laurence, MD
Senior Scientist for Programs, American Foundation for AIDS Research (amFAR)
Professor of Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University
New York, NY

Robert Lawrence, MD
Associate Dean for Professional Education and Programs
Edyth Schoenrich Professor of Preventive Medicine and Professor of Health
Policy
Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
Baltimore, MD

Burton Lee, MD
Vero Beach, FL

Jay Levy, MD
Professor in Residence, Hematology and Oncology
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA

David C. Lewis MD
Donald G. Millar Professor of Alcohol and Addiction Studies
Brown University
Providence RI

Gonzalo Balon-Landa, MD
San Diego, CA

Sarah Long, MD
St. Christophers Hospital for Children
Philadelphia, PA

Richard Marlink
Director, Harvard AIDS Institute
Cambridge, MA

Kenneth Mayer, MD
Professor of Medicine and Community Health
Brown University
Medical Research Director, Fenway Community Health
Boston, MA

Michael H. Merson, MD
Anna M.R. Lauder Professor and Dean of Public Health
Chairman, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
Yale University School of Medicine
Former Director, Global Program on AIDS, World Health Organization
New Haven, CT

Ronald Mitsuyasu, MD
Director, Center for Clinical AIDS Research and Education
Professor of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

Donald Morisky, ScD, MSPH
Professor and Vice-Chair, Department of Community Health Science
University of California, Los Angeles School of Public Health
Los Angeles, CA

Joia S. Mukherjee, MD, MPH
Medical Director, Partners In Health
Boston, MA

Alvin I. Mushlin, MD, ScM
Professor and Chair, Department of Public Health
New York, NY

David G. Nathan, MD
Robert A. Stranahan Distinguished Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard
Medical School
President-Emeritus, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Boston, MA

Antonia Novello, MD, MPH, DrPH
Former Surgeon General
Albany, NY

William A. O'Brien, MD, MS
Professor of Medicine, Pathology and Microbiology & Immunology
Division of Infectious Diseases
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX

William Powderly, MD
Professor of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Seattle, WA

Arnold Relman
Former Editor-in-Chief, New England Journal of Medicine
Cambridge, MA

Julius B. Richmond, MD
Former Surgeon General
John D. MacArthur Professor of Health Policy Emeritus
Harvard Medical School
Cambridge, MA

Eric Rosenberg, MD
Infectious Disease Associates
Massachusetts General Hospital

Allan Rosenfield, MD
Dean, Mailman School of Public Health
Columbia University
DeLamar Professor of Public Health and Professor of Obstetrics and
Gynecology
New York, NY

Linda Rosenstock, MD, MPH
Dean, UCLA School of Public Health
Los Angeles, CA

George W. Rutherford, MD
Director, Institute for Global Health
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA

William Schaffner, MD
Chairman, Department of Preventive Medicine
Professor of Medicine and Preventive Medicine
Vanderbilt School of Medicine
Nashville, TN

Jane Schaller, MD
President, International Pediatric Association
Boston, MA

Victoria Sharp, MD
Medical Director, HIV Center, Center for Comprehensive Care
St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital
New York, NY

Victor Sidel, MD
Distinguished University Professor of Social Medicine
Montefiore Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx, NY

Joseph A. Sonnabend, MD
St. Lukes Roosevelt Hospital
New York, NY

Walter Stamm, MD
Head, Division of Allergy and Infectious Disease
Professor of Medicine
University of Washington Medical Center
Seattle, WA

Lucy S. Thompkins, MD, PhD
Chief, Division of Infectious Disease and Geographic Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA

Charles van der Horst, MD
Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases, University of North Carolina
Visiting Professor of Medicine, Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg
South Africa
International Project Director, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS
Foundation Chapel Hill, NC

Abraham Verghese MD, DSc. (Hon)
Director, Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
San Antonio, TX

Paul Volberding, MD
Professor of Medicine and Vice Chair of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Co-Director UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research
Chairman of the Board, International AIDS Society-USA
San Francisco, CA

Ronald Waldman, MD, MPH
Professor of Clinical Public Health
Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
New York, NY

Robert Waller, MD
Former Director, Mayo Clinic
Memphis, TN

Bruce Walker, MD
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor and Chair
Division of AIDS
Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Mary E. Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

David Wheeler, MD
Medical Director, Inova Juniper Program
Fairfax, VA

Bruce Williams, MD, MPH
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Albuquerque, NM

Paul H. Wise, MD, MPH
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA

Andrew Wiznia, MD
Director, Family Based HIV Services and Pediatric HIV Services
North Bronx Healthcare Network
Professor of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx, NY

Gail Wyatt, PhD
Professor in Residence, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

------------------------------
This message from Physicians for Human Rights is distributed through the
Advocacy Network for Africa (ADNA)

Nunu Kidane
Advocacy Network for Africa (ADNA)
Communications Facilitator for ADNA
Africa Action
1634 Eye Street, NW, #810,
Washington, DC 20006, USA.
Tel: (202) 546-7961 Fax: (202) 546-1545
www.africaaction.org

To unsubscribe your e-mail address from this group,
send an email to: [log in to unmask]
To ensure that the ADNA database is updated correctly,
please also send a copy of your request, or any other
request for changes in your membership information,
to [log in to unmask] For additional assistance
with the adnalist, write to [log in to unmask]

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, January 22, 2003. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, 23rd Ave and E Main St, 2nd Floor.
7:00 pm Business meeting
7:30 pm Program: (none in Jan, next one is in February - watch this space for details.)
Everyone is welcome).

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network