GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 23:15:17 EDT

"Never does a human being among humans so abhor a single culture or
ethnicity as  to form a political platform based on derision of cultures.  SInce
Halifa is  PDOIS and PDOIS is Halifa, the lieutenants had no choice  but to adopt
that as  their mantra." Haruna.

Father Mose, I took the liberty to add mantra to your above quotation of  me.
I know it was mere oversight on your part.

"Haroon:" Uncle  Mose.

Yasum, How goes it? You know you're lucky I'm in a good mood cos Taiga is
doing well otherwise you'll be talking to the hand. And why did you not take me
up on the sky-diving invite I extended to you two months ago? You weren't
scared  were you?

"We have met again on the same topic," Brother Mose.

I think the last time we e-met, you were sharing how NADD's  decomposition
was everyone else's fault but yours.

"and I have to say this is one issue that anyone of us can ever   ignore."
Uncle Mose.

can never. Very well.

"Now, to the above statement, I really think you do not mean to say that,"
Brother Mose.

You know I always mean to say what I say. The question is did you
understand? Or are you playing political pondent as you're wont to quip.

"unless of course I am not getting it right." Father Mose.

That is highly likely given your record.

"Are you suggesting that PDOIS,  in this case you indicated is  synonemous to
Halifa abhor tribes or a single tribe so much that he created a
platform(your words) against cultures?" Uncle Mose.

synonymous. with. abhors. No I was not suggesting that. Read the entire
notes again or ask for translation by Lamin or Rene.

"For me I think our tribal differences are just that, and when we decided  to
come together and belong to one nation, it became evident that we will have
to accomodate these differences and build a better country for all of us."
Father Mose.

Beautiful Uncle. It is good to know you are of similar dispensation as  me.

"I am of the firm belief that if we build a strong democracy whereby people
ultimately have the power to  decide who governs, and that  they have  the
right to do just that after hearing from people's message, they still  reserve
the right to vote for their own kind." Musa Jeng.

Very good. You are a quick study sir.

"It is ok to vote for your kind, but in any open society, it will jsut be a
matter of time whe we will eventually evolve to vote for our interest and
tribal  affiliation will be secondary." Father Mose.

And when we shall evolve and make tribal considerations secondary, they  will
remain part of our decision calculus. You're good.

"We can all take pride of our different tribes, and that is ok, but I am  not
sure of the poltitcal vaibilty  of trying to govern different  tribes  by
putting emphasis on our tribal  differences." Father  Mose.

That's the problem. If you intend to govern different tribes, first it will
be helpful if you identify with one of them. I don't want a foreigner
governing  me. Then you govern by NOT PUTTING EMPHASIS ON THE TRIBAL DIFFERENCES, but
by harnessing the inherent value of diverse tribes. Thank you Musa.  Are you
sure you belong in PDOIS? Hmmm!!!

"Finally, I can say that give me a democratic Gambia," Father Mose.

NO. We create a democratic Gambia. Why would you want me to give you a
democratic Gambia. Oxymoronic. Borders on gaucherie.

"and over time there will be no serious person who will make it to the  state
house by appealing to our tribal sensitivities." Father Mose.

The dilemma surfaces again. Why would you train on tribal or cultural
extinctions in human considerations? Just answer that simple question if you  can.
You just finished sharing with us that it is fine with you that electoral  d
ecision-making necessarily involves ethnic, tribal and cultural considerations
and that they ought to be secondary. But when you get the opportunity to
finally  lead, you train on anihilating tribal sensibilities. I want you to knw that
this  dilemma of yours transfers to religion and family life as Suntou shares
with us  albeit poorly. Do you see why Gambians cannot bring themselves to
trust PDOIS. I  think the first thing you need to do at PDOIS is translate the
volumes of  literature and cassettes into all the constitutive ethnic languages
so that  yourselves can deliver the message without gaffe.

"Thanks" Uncle Mose.

You're most welcome my uncle. Now you heard Joe. You need to be continuing
something with our coleague Kukeh. This is Haroun Al Khairawan. MQDT Darbo in
case you forgot. You ain't getting no love here my dear as long as you keep
feigning ignorance.