GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 04:54:44 PDT
Gambia-L:

As usual, this email has come from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

Tell the guys on Gambia-L that this medical leave business, as funny and as
strange as it is, is for real. Yaya Jammeh is certainly going to take a long
medical leave, and he has already mentioned it to his foolish Cabinet. He is
definitely feeling the pressure left and right. In any case, I'll expand on
this medical leave story once more information on it emerges.

Anyway, Ebrima, Ousainou Darboe has all along felt that Yaya Jammeh's
Archille's heel is the Crude Oil deal. And I did inform you the last time
that some APRC Party stalwarts are garnering enough courage to tell Yaya
Jammeh to his face "enough is enough".

Therefore, the adjournment of the debate in Parliament to June should now
provide Tamsir Jallow and other Majority Party Members of the Nation
Assembly to go and have a heart to heart talk with Jammeh. I know for a fact
that the majority of APRC members are equally fed up with the current
leadership.

Hopefully, they would have struck a deal with President Jammeh before the
next sitting of Parliament. The establishment of the Parliamentary Committee
to look into the allegations of the Crude Oil saga WILL BE APPROVED at the
next sitting.

Otherwise, the people will rise against the parliamentarians and drive them
to the sea. By the way, Yaya Jammeh had already admitted to his cabinet, in
Kanilai, about 2-3 months ago, that the proceeds of the oil deal went to
finance his presidential campaign.

In fact, it was at this meeting that "that woman" at the Education Ministry
had asked too many questions to Yaya, resulting in her being roughened by
Jammeh. She has been having problems with the boss ever since. And, of
course, at the appropriate time, she would be fired from her post.

Fatoumatta Jahumpa, meanwhile, is proceeding with her own version of the
Million Mom Match next week to help celebrate Jammeh's birthday. The march
better be successful. If not, she would have succeeded in
further exposing the unpopularity of the Emperor which translates to
dismissal.

She will be lucky to get two dozen women participating in the event; that's
my assessment of the situation on the ground. Anyway, good luck
to her.

And talking about a destroyed civil service, well, Ebrima, I have to tell
you that by the time you'll receive this e-mail from me, a reshuffling of
Permanent Secretaries would have taken place.

Pa Jallow, who was once at the Gambian Mission to the UN in New York, should
become Permanent Secretary at the Foreign Ministry, while Mr. Yusupha Dibba
is being moved to Local Government. Mrs Therese Drammeh will go to Health
and Mrs Fatou Jallow will become the P.S at the Tourism Ministry. Sireh
Jallow will act at the Interior ministry.

Thanks!