GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:40:02 +0100
  From: Elum aniap Godfrey Ayoo
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Cc: Edward Mulindwa ; [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:42 PM
  Subject: Djibouti Set to Become Biggest US Aid Recipient in Africa

  Regional
  Monday, November 10, 2003

  Djibouti Set to Become Biggest US Aid Recipient in Africa
  By KEVIN J. KELLEY
  SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
  DJIBOUTI, SITE of the only US military base in sub-Saharan Africa, will soon receive an enormous increase in American aid.

  The tiny East African country with a population of 650,000 is likely to get about $90 million both this year and next for health, education and border policing, the American Ambassador-designate to Djibouti told the US Senate last week. Djibouti, which previously got about $7 million in annual aid, would suddenly qualify as the largest recipient of US development aid in sub-Saharan Africa.

  Sudan, which would be relegated to second place, will receive about $81 million this year for reconstruction efforts. Nigeria, the next-largest beneficiary, has a population almost 200 times larger than Djibouti's, but is getting only two-thirds as much aid. Djibouti's $90 million total would also exceed the amounts for Uganda ($62 million) and Kenya ($50 million).

  Djibouti is a "staunch ally of the US and a key partner in the global struggle against terrorism," Marguerita Dianne Ragsdale said at a November 5 US Senate review of her nomination to become the next American ambassador to Djibouti.

  "What we are trying to do is develop Djibouti as a nation. Because it is impoverished, it cannot deliver the kinds of services to its population that its population demands and deserves."

  Some 1, 500 US troops are stationed at a base in Djibouti that serves as the East Africa operational hub for Washington's "war on terrorism." From its headquarters in Djibouti, the US Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa, conducts sea and air surveillance in the Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Indian Ocean and adjoining countries.

  Djibouti is a dangerous destination for Americans, the State Department warned last month. Renewing its three-month-old terrorism alert, the department advised US citizens to reconsider any plans to visit Djibouti.

  Comments\Views about this article

  And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, 'When will you be satisfied?' We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities (.) No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream". (Martin Luther King, 1964 Nobel Peace prize laureate, assassinated for his struggle)