GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 15:58:51 -0400
Hamjatta, another well-argued thesis. Both you and Al-Ghazzali brought
forward points that the renown thinker and scholar (another Al-Ghazzali)
will be proud of. I think like you my leaning is towards secularism as
opposed to domination by one religion over others. Your and Hobbes'
definition of secularism as an 'inter-faith peace treaty' is quite
interesting. This connotes tolerance. This is the definition of secularism I
will happily identify myself with. I think it is also safe to assume that
Al-Ghazzali will not have a problem with this definition. He might be
baffled and ask why we need this in a country where we have NEVER had a
history of religious intolerance prior to 1994. He humbly sought
clarification from Joseph Joof. If Joseph Joof had the wherewithal to come
up with such a definition, it would be a step in the right direction. But it
will be a far cry from how this concept is going to be implemented in the
country. The mental midgets cannot even begin to comprehend the implications
involved here.

Al-Ghazzali's article posed a lot of pertinent questions. Your rejoinder
also brought up the major problem such laws bring with them. You used the
United States in order to illustrate your point. That was a very apt
example. Now what is going to happen is that Joseph Joof and Yaya have put
themselves in a corner. Now they have given legal legs to someone that wants
the mosque at State House demolished. Now they have given legal rights to
people that want more Christian holidays on the calendar. Now they have
given legal standing to Fajara residents that are bordered by the calls for
Fajr prayer by the Pipeline Mosque. You see my drift? You recognized what
you contemptuously called: "reckless interpretation of secularism and in the
process, through liberal legalism via the courts, [creation of] a polity
very hostile to religion"? Emphasis mine.

I might feel the same contempt but my venom will be directed not to the
lawyers and the courts, but to the mental midgets that proposed the law
without adequately thinking through the matter. There is one interpretation
of secularism you might regard as reckless, but the next guy in the street
will regard it as perfectly reasonable. According to the dictionary I use,
secularism is defined as: 'belief that consideration of the present
well-being of mankind should take precedence over religious considerations
in civil affairs'. See, this definition gives the State the wriggle room to
create its own sets of beliefs and place those beliefs over our religious
beliefs. In other words, Yaya and Joseph Joof can legislate their own
beliefs and say that those views are better for the well-being of Gambians
than the laws legislated by God (if you are a Muslim that beliefs that the
Koran came directly from God). All Yaya and Joof need, is a judge that is
willing to see things their way. In The Gambia of today, that is not a
difficult thing.

So Hamjatta, right there we say good-bye to our wish that secularism
translates to tolerance. In your brilliant piece you said that secularism
also has its own set of values. The hope here is that those values are
mainly an amalgam of the good values already established by our current
religions. But the flip side of that coin is that the 'new secularism'
values can be a totally new set of values different from the ones we knew
before, through our various religions. And these values will be more potent
than the religious values. Now our Constitution is saying that these
(secular) values take 'precedence' over religious values. You see the
potential for abuse? I hope people realize how dangerous these morons are.
They are playing with fire.

We are dealing here with people that have no religion. When Yaya was in High
School and living with the Tambas, he was a Christian. To this day, the
moron is not a practicing Muslim. He is confused. He does not know what he
is. As for Joseph Joof, he pretends that he is a devout Christian. This man
is nothing but a 'Jalang' worshipper. He is also a confused soul. These are
the characters we want to set our value system for us. Characters that do
not see anything wrong in slaughtering innocent children as young as three.
Characters that never put in an honest day's work, yet loot our treasury on
a daily basis. Can we trust Yaya and his cronies in the judiciary to tell us
what is good for the 'well-being' of the Gambian? Is it wise to put Yaya's
word over God's word? Would Joseph Joof put what the 'Jalang' told him below
what people say is in the Koran? If there is a conflict between what the
Bible says and Yaya's values, can we rely on the courts to give deference to
what the Bible says?

Gambians should be thinking about these issues before they give Yaya, Joseph
Joof and our courts the right to put their word over God's word. I am for
secularism IF the concept seeks to bring people together and recognize the
word of God and the good values of all the religions. I am vehemently oppose
to Yaya and Joseph Joof and our courts interpreting what is good for the
well-being of the Gambians and imposing their will over our religious norms.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. We have NEVER had a religious problem in
the country. There is NO need to amend our laws in order to declare Gambia a
secular state. This is another gimmick these sick people can later use to
victimize people. They just want legal rights to impose their beliefs over
people. That's all.

Thanks again brother for your invaluable contributions.
KB