GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 08:37:42 EDT
Dear List managers,

On April 6, an exchange took place on the List involving allegations of Joe
Sambou being an agent for the regime among the Gambian community in the U.S.
These allegations were levelled by Conteh, followed by myself and Elhadj Fye
adding information we had to the same effect.
During the course of this exchange, Joe Sambou sent a series of emails to the
list in which he singled me out for some very gender specific profanity. He
did not once level the same kind of profanity at the other two individuals who
were men like him.

The >Gambia-L Rules which were implemented after a recurrence of problems
involving the use of profanity by some members.
The G-L Rules read thus:

------------ REVISED RULES FROM 2002 -----------------
These are the >Gambia-L revised rules.

1.  Postings on >Gambia-L should not contain extreme insulting or offensive
language; pornographic material; notices of virus hoaxes; and chain letters.

2.  We´re a diverse, worldwide group of several hundred people.  Our
emphasis is on sharing information.  Flaming and  personal insults (including
name calling, libellous statements) are out of place here.

3.  List Managers will, without warning, delist members who constantly engage
in name calling and insults.

4. A List Manager can remove a subscriber for violating any of the rules
after having informed other Managers and waiting for a response within a period of
24 hours from other managers.

5.  Requests for subscriptions/unsubscriptions should be sent privately to >
Gambia-L managers at >[log in to unmask]>, or through the
St.John´s web interface at >http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html>
.

6.  Personal mail should be sent privately, and not to the List .

7. Any subscriber who feels that his/her parent has been abused has to send
evidence to the List management that someone abused his/her parents before
responding in kind on the L because this might result in the delisting of both the
offender and the person offended.

8.  Complaints about conduct of other subscribers must be sent directly to
the Managers and not to the entire List. Management will then write to the
accused subscriber in private with a copy of the mail to the complainant.

8a.  The accused subscriber must, within 72 hours, respond to the complaint
with an apology and promise not to repeat the offence, or refute the
allegations against him or her.

8b.  In that there is a disagreement about the gravity of the allegation, >
Gambia-L List Managers will vote on whether the accused is guilty or not.

8c.  If the offender is found by the majority of List Managers to be guilty
of the allegations, he or she must apologize to the person offended by his or
her posting within 72 hours.

8d. Failure to respond to an alleged offence or apologize after 3 working
days will result in removal from the List.

9. Forwarding responses or emails by someone who was delisted will result in
the delisting of the person who forwarded the mail, especially if it is to
insult or castigate others.

10. All those who threaten the existence of this List or otherwise
impersonate others by means of "spoofing" e-mail headers including addresses of other
subscribers, will be banned from resubscribing to >Gambia-L.

11. An expelled subscriber may apply to rejoin the list three months after
his or her expulsion.

12. Applications to rejoin the list must be approved by a simple majority of
the management team.

>Gambia-L Management

Consequently, I sent the complaint below to the list management, namely:
Soffie Ceesay
Ndey Jobarteh
Momodou Camara
Momodou Sidibeh
Dr.Malanding Jaiteh
Subj:Complaint
Date:4/8/04 8:37:40 AM Central Daylight Time
From:Gunjur

Dear List Managers,

On reviewing the >Gambia-L rules again, I realized that I had sent a
complaint
against Joe Sambou and a request to delist him to the list at large instead
of to the
list management as specified in the >G-L rules.
I am hereby tendering a formal complaint against Joe Sambou for sending a
number
of emails to the list in which he used extremely profane language against me
during
the course of an exchange. I am hereby formally requesting that the situation
be
dealt with according to the list rules.
7 samples of offensive emails in question follows:

1)
In a message dated 4/6/04 11:54:30 AM Central Daylight Time,