GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdoukarim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:11:50 -0700
Folks anyone who have contact details od Maidiba Saidy please contact me or let him get in touch with me. My contact phone numbers for home and mobile is as follows:- 01618771939 and 07956024005. My University e-mail :- [log in to unmask]
I will be happy to get in touch with Madiba saidy. Please folks help.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Buharry,

It was really interesting reading your important analysis of the pending coalition, what it means to the evolution of Gambia’s political process and of course the future of the country at large. As most people have already indicated, that there is more to this coalition than just a removal of the Jammeh presidency and the anointing of a new leader. It is no coincidence that the Gambia happens to be one of the countries in the African continent confronted with death, poverty, lack of power and water – the building blocs for any development, and hopelessness among their citizens. The one thing that all African countries have in common is the absence of the institution of governance that can effectively build a serious country, and bring hope to its people. If Gambia is going to halt this African misery of poverty, death and hopelessness, she has to chose a different direction – a path that at least resembles some of the developed world
This coalition can be the opportunity for our generation to begin the building blocs of a future country unmatched in our sub-region, and will be seen as one of the true models in the African continent that will at least start addressing the lives of its citizens. It is fundamental for the coalition partners to realize that this election is not about who replaces Jammeh, but for the first time since independence, to bring real democracy to the Gambia. This election will put power in the hands of the Gambia people, and will put in place the foundation for rule of law and justice for its entire citizen.

It is without a doubt that our coalition partners are politicians and certain political jockeying is expected during the negotiations, and all of them earned the right to believe that they have the solutions to lead this country to future developments. But this election is not about who has the best political platform, or which party can be most effective in bringing development to the country. We need to first build the foundation of this political process, so that no individual, institutions or self-righteous ideologues will ever be able to take this country hostage. After we create the foundation of a real political process, level the playing field for all political parties and to all Gambians, then we will have the right to disagree, and all Gambians will ultimately decide the direction of the country. In fact, we will have the right to choose bad leaders.

For all practical purposes, the coalition partners need to work diligently to put together the framework for the alliance, but the emerging of a leader as soon as possible will at least put down the conventional wisdom – the nay- sayers, that these politicians are not capable of reaching an agreement. The coalition needs a leader who is electable, trustworthy – especially among the coalition partners and seen to be such in the population at large. This coalition is going to be a strategic alliance, meaning all the political leaders will have to enthusiastically rally behind the flag bearer, and work the extra mile as if they are the leader running for the leadership, this is the only way that we can win. On a personal note, to all our coalition partners, this is the only hope that can put our country to the road for better things to come. Please reach out to your deepest political instinct and come up with a plan that will bring about the beginning of a new Gambia. All of the
 coalition partners are flag bearers for the creation of this new Gambia, but only one of them will have to be chosen to start the process, and together they will all create this new environment unheard of in the African continent. To most Gambians living in the Diaspora, this is seen as the only hope to redirect our country to the right path. As I kept telling some of my friends, I believe we will have a coalition, but time is of essence and it can make all the difference in winning in 2006.

Thanks
Musa JEng