GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dodoo Wade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:41:47 -0000
Kassa Says The NIA Tortured Him

Two months after his arrest and detention for ten days at the NIA
headquarters in Banjul for allegedly writing a story in the Independent of
Monday 23rd May criticising President Yaya Jammeh and his government, Dudu
Kassa Jatta youth leader and assistant campaign manager in Bakau has finally
let the mouse out of the bag. In an exclusive interview when he visited this
office yesterday morning Kassa alleged that his arrest was engineered by one
Sukuta Jammeh together with Muhammed Hydara and Salimina Drammeh, all agents
of the NIA so as to silence him. According to Kassa, it was Sukuta who came
to his house on Tuesday the 24th May.

A driver said to be his friend from Basse wanted to see him but his mother
told him that he was out. "On my return at 5.00pm, my mother informed me
about it but I told her that there was no one asking for me, but they were
only planning to arrest me, on political grounds" Kasa said. At about 9.00pm
while at home, Sukuta again came asking for me and my mother told him that I
was around and few moments later, a white Nissan Patrol stopped at the gate
of our compound and they told me that they needed him at the NIA for some
questioning. In reply, I told them that I should inform my mother and the
family about it. After informing my mother, I attempted to inform my step
father too but Hydara pulled my trousers saying I should not waist their
time and that I should go with them" Kassa added.

On arrival at the NIA headquarters, Kassa said, he was asked to pull
everything that was on him, except his nickers at the security post and he
was taken to one of the cell called "Bambadika" where he spent the night.
Around 8.30-9.00am the following morning, after washing his face, his
trousers were brought back to him so that he could go to interrogation room.
He said he met of NIA officers telling him that it was time for breakfast on
him. Hydara and Drammeh, Kassa said, also told their colleagues that he
Kassa said he does not fear any NIA, which he said, he admitted. However,
after talking to each other for a while, he was taken to the office of Mr.
Foday Barry director of internal security where he met another group of
senior officers.

He said Barry then asked him whether he knows him and he replied that he did
not know him. At his point, he added, one Tijan O.C of the investigating
team told him that " my brother you are playing with his country," "but I
insisted that I am only saying the fact". When they took him to the room,
Kassa said, his trousers and his nickers were all removed and he remained
naked. "My hand and legs were tied. Electric wires were connected to my ears
and my pennis and they started electrifying him. They started at 9.00am and
it ended at 5.00pm with only little interval to allow me to rest. Infact,
while they were doing this a lady was sitting down and they were all
laughing at me while I was crying because of the pain.

I could not eat, my intestines were rolling inside me all due to the pain.
They further told him that they could either kill me or throw him into the
sea and neither lawyer Darboe nor anybody could do anything about it. Before
my release on bail, they warned me to remain silent but for me this is a
matter of life and death nobody will keep me quiet". He revealed that he
visited three doctors and was waiting for his body to get better. For Kassa,
gone are those days when security forces can intimidate the Gambian people.
He further pointed out "If this was their intention, then I am telling them
that they have failed. I am not threatened and this will even strengthen my
fight for social justice and democracy in the Gambia". On a final note Kassa
said he loves peace and hates anybody who creates trouble.

Copied from The Point

These idiots at NIA will have to pay for all the crimes they have committed
against humanity. For your information all your crimes are being recorded
and do not be suprise when you are arrested outside the Gambia. This goes
for former and present NIA Officers/agents.

Dodoo