GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:21:24 -0600
Hello, Halima.  Good point.  In fact, many times cultural practices get
confused with Islamic ones.  And I think this is true in both the cases of
Muslims and non-Muslims alike...
     For example, if someone is sitting watching the news, and they see a
story of say, an honor killing, and then that is associated with Islam, then
what are they going to think?  And what of the Muslim who ignorantly thinks
that Islam condones this sort of thing?  No matter that it is my
understanding that this sort of thing goes on in many cultures and
religions.  Because in most of the Western media, this practice seems to be
associated with Islam, that idea becomes planted in the minds of many
people...
     This is just one example out of many.  Of course the terrorism thing is
also another example.  Even though other groups and people are guilty of
terrorist acts, terrorism has become associated with Islam in the minds of
many.
     What is interesting, though, is that I read something a while back, and
I don't remember the exact article, that said that most of the acts that are
considered terrorist acts, perpetrated against the US, actually occured in
Central and South America.  And not in the Middle East or by those of Middle
Eastern descent.  I will have to find that article, since I forget the exact
name of it...
     Not only that, the Oklahoma City bombing was the most deadly act of
terrorism on US soil, up until the events of 9-11.  But I didn't see anyone
rounding up white ex-military men.  I wonder if the people who did this, if
they had been just normal regular Americans, as some would say, would we be
in such a rush to detain so many.  This is just some thoughts...  That's
all...
Ginny
 Contact Info:

Yahoo Messenger: gmq0525