GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:57:31 -0800
I completely support Mr. Darboe's call and commend his display of mature statesmanship...Mr.  Darboe should press Jammeh on his reconcialtion initiative in his last inauguration speech.  This is the only way forward to redeem Gambia of the present mess.  I hope PDOIS shall engage Jammeh in a similar vein.
E.

By PK Jarju
Jan 7, 2004, 14:34

Email this article
Printer friendly page

The United Democratic Party leader, Ousainou Darboe, has called on Government to reconvene a national dialogue with individuals, senior members of the community, religious leaders, former politicians and civil servants, civil society to discuss national issues.

In his New Year message, Mr Darboe decried the abrupt discontinuation of this important national consultation over the past year which he said would have given Government and Gambians the possibility to look at the country's problems together and find solutions. He added that the loss of such an important opportunity has compounded the country's problems.

Mr Darboe lamented the lack of tolerance and understanding that seem to have been embedded in the every fabric of Gambian society over the past year. That, according to him, is a phenomenon that seemed to have surfaced within the past decade and is drastically changing the Gambian society. He added that it is the duty of every Gambian, more so the Jammeh regime, to grasp the reality of the situation and find a solution that the country's children would be proud of.

“We have seen examples of countries in more extreme situations come together and act as one. Our divisions and differences are minute compared to those countries and we are convinced that if we are serious in our desire to make our country better for ourselves and our children, we should be able to forge ahead into the future with trust and confidence,he said.

Mr Darboe added that as the country is now going through a stage it has never before experienced in history, it is the responsibility of every Gambian to strive hard to ensure that incidents such as the assasination attempt on Lawyer Ousman Sillah by some unidentified assailants are not repeated. He called on Government to assume its full responsibility in ensuring that the country maintains its biggest reputation as a peace-loving nation.

The UDP boss applauded the recent passage by the National Assembly of Acts to combat terrorism, money-laundering and other forms of international crime. This, according to him, is a step in the right direction. He expressed hope that these pieces of legislation would not be used against our business community to cover up the shortcomings and failures of any organ of government in the coming year.

Commenting on HIV/Aids, Mr Darboe said as the disease is increasing at an alarming rate, Government through the National Aids Secretariat should embark on a a more pronounced sensitisation campaign particularly among the young people who are the most vulnerable group. This campaign should cover the entire country since the disease is not restricted to the urban areas alone and it must also be de-politicised, for we have been witnessing in the media lately a politicisation of the programmes, he noted. He added that Aids transcends party politics and must be treated as such if sensitisation is to be effective and meaningful.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the
inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he,
who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through
the valley of darkness... And you will know my name is Ibrahima Khalilulahi when I lay my vengeance upon thee"