GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:31:58 EST
In a message dated 12/24/99 11:16:48 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A Merry Christmas and Ramadan Mubarak to all.

 My sincere thanks Mr. Halifa Sallah and the Foroyaa team for sharing with us
their thoughts and views on life and politics in the Gambia. However, each
time I read a piece from Mr. Sallah or Foroyaa, looks more like commentaries
from academics than politicians. You sometimes wonder whether they are
politicians or acdemics! Of course I do not intend to question what they
(Foroyaa-PDOIS) are, but I sometimes feel that Gambians and Gambian politics
may be better off with them in a Center for Gambian Studies!

 Malanding Jaiteh

***********************
Malanding,

l am curious to know why you think that Mr Sallah and PDOID/Foroyaa sound
more like academics than politicians. As l learn more about them, and read
their analysis, contributions, views and aspirations for our country, l have
the impression that these are people who are not just peddling politics with
the aim of gaining high office, but that what may come across as pure
academics is actually evidence that these guys have made it their business to
be very well acquainted every aspect of Gambia and Gambians. l personally
cannot see a better preparation for those aspiring to lead us than to make it
their business to be well versed both about everything pertaining to our
country, as well as what is happening in the rest of the World and how this
affects us. The lack of knowledgeable and well versed politicians are one of
the reasons that our collective countries in Africa are in the chaotic
situation we find ourselves in. l  find PDOIS and Foroyaa wide interest in
all matters  rather a refreshing change, and one that l hope all our aspiring
politicians will emulate. Just my view.

Jabou Joh