GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.M.Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 20:26:25 +0100
Hi Kebba,

Maybe i was a little but over sensitive to your posting.
Knowing you as my "koto" at least we can agree to disagree
and you know i have the greatest respect and admiration for
you as a person (remember how we used to call you - kebba
no problem). You are right the IMF and world bank has
failed in Africa and i acknowledge and accept that. I have
seen the Meltzer report and commented on it. I can send you
my personal comments on the report if you so desire. Do you
know that most of the world bank loans go to about 10
middle and upper income countries that have access to funds
from the international capital markets. Even their own
internal assessment has shown that the worldbank has failed
in its mandate to eradicate poverty in the world.

I stated that i do not always agree with the policy
prescription that they recommend as there are alternatives
that could be implemented, i.e.. African alternatives as
proposed by the economic commission for Africa. If the the
government continue to use their resources (they dictate to
you what to do and how to do it). At least i am clear on
that. I did say that with all the IMF programs there have
not been any noticeable improvement in the living standards
in the Gambia.

 You know that i am not in a position to influence
management decisions and if we as economists give an
unbiased and accurate picture of events and the final
figures are doctored, I am not aware of that.  You might challenge
the figures that are available but what is the
counterfactual and alternatives. I said statistics are
prone to discrepancies and errors even in the UK.

I agree that being an Oxbridge graduate does not qualify
you to know the economic conditions prevailing in
"sutukoba". My reason for saying that the IMF employ the
best is to indicate the professionalism of these people in
executing their duties, when you said casually that they
sip coffee over the figures. There is ample evidence of
this judging by the number of academic research and
publications that are carried out and the IMF research
journal is highly ranked in academic circles.

Kebba, you know that in Africa we have a capacity building
problem. Education is a life long process and one has
always to develop their skill and expertise in their
various areas of specialization. I am saying on a personal
note, I have benefited from my interactions with the staff
of the IMF, be it informally or by attending programs run
by their institutions, just like i benefit from the various
discussions on the L. It helps the Gambia to develop its
capacity in terms of economic management.

I will send you a private mail and give you my phone.
Regards to your family.

basil