GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 13:41:30 -0400
Mr. Owens:

Your stand against my call for a boycott is well taken.
I believe that we as an opposition must agree in
principle to salvage our country.

Before any consultative negotiations can be taken by
the opposition, it is our responsibility as opposition
members to provide funds for our comrades.  It is
disturbing that the last report by Brother Sambou only
numerated about $1,000 so far.  I am shock that some
Gambians will talk, but when it comes to money issues,
they are unwilling to contribute.

I have called for an Opposition Unity Conference                 which I proposed
to coincide with the 4th of July activities in Atlanta.
With the trend of things, I am afraid to tell you that
this summit will not take place.  We as vocal members
of the opposition need to contribute and make this
summit a success.

It is a waste of resources to take a lawyerly approach
with the enemy.  OJ together with those that have filed
their cases against the dictator in court will be
disappointed by the court's ruling in The Gambia.  Who
are we kidding?  Those foreign judges who will jump
at any instruction of the dictator will serve a
tremendous blow to OJ and company.  The dictator will
not repeal decree 89, and if he does, it will be close
to election time.

The biggest problem with the opposition is that some
leaders are bent on the big ego thing.  Some of them
will talk but they will refuse to let go that supreme
ego within themselves.

I hope the leaders of the opposition are listening.  I
hope they can come to the realization that personal
ambitions should be set aside for the interest of our
country.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh