GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 23:18:03 EST
        Bismillah irRahman irRaheem
            In the Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Kind
 Acknowledgement: Dr. Shahid Athar:  [log in to unmask]

 assalamualaikum

 Fasting for diabetic patients has become easier these days. in 1996 i
 presented a paper during first international conf on heath in ramadan held
 in casabanca , morocco under king hasan 11 foundation for research on
 Ramadan. the paper gives detail guidelines for diabetic patients for
 fasting in Ramadan.it can be read on line in my book health concerns at
 http://islam-usa.com web page. since then newer hypoglycemic agents have
 been introduced in us market. here is the summary of my recommendations

 1.  type 1 IDDM  should not fast

 2. type 2  NIDDM can fast under medical supervision usind one of the
 following regimes

 a.  if on insulin -- should take only 2/3rd of total dose with iftar only
 or take i.e. 5-6 unit umalog with iftar and 15-20 unit nph at isha
 depending at blood sugar at sahoor.

  b. if on oral agent then can take half dose with iftar and other half with
 sahoor i.e.
 glucotrol 5 mg bid (= twice a day). can continue insulin sensitizers ie
 rezulin as such but stop metformin and prandin during ramamadan

 c .drink plenty of water between iftar and sahoor. avoid sweets as much as
 possible and donot become sedentary nor over exercise before iftaar.

         have a blessed ramadan. wassalam

         dr. shahid athar, md. facp. face endocrinologist. indiana
 university. usa

 For details, please see: http://www.islam-usa.com
 contact: Dr. Shahid Athar: [log in to unmask]

 in Switzerland, u may contact me (physician) at: [log in to unmask]
 and also see our cpollection of Ramadhan and Health artciles at:
 http://www.muslimsonline.com/~bern/ramadhan_resourcs.html >>