GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:22:44 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.104/2006, 27-28 November,  2006

Editorial
Women’s Protocol Another Step Required
As  gender activists commemorate 16 Days of Activism Against Violence Against
Women,  the state of the Protocol to The African Charter on Human and People’
s Rights on  the Rights of Women in Africa (Women’s Protocol) comes to the
fore.
Violence  against women is still perpetrated all over the continent in all
its forms and  in various circumstances. It takes the form of rape, wife
battering, FGM,  psychological violence and so on and so forth.
It happens in the homes, at  offices, in war situations, etc, etc.
The Women’s Protocol defines “Violence  Against Women” as “all acts
perpetrated against women which cause or could cause  them physical, sexual,
psychological, and economic harm, including the threat to  take such acts; or to
undertake the imposition of arbitrary restriction on or  deprivation of fundamental
freedoms in private or public life in peace time and  during situations of
armed conflicts or of war.”
Gender Activists have to  give attention to Article 4 of the Protocol in
their review during the 16 Days  of Activism in their evaluation of progress made
since the coming into force of  the Protocol in November 2005 and, especially,
since its ratification by The  Gambia in May this year. (See page 10).
The Government on its own part has to  take cognisance of Article 26 of the
Protocol which reads: “1.State Parties  shall ensure the implementation of this
Protocol at national level, and in their  periodic reports submitted in
accordance with Article 62 of the African Charter,  indicate the legislative and
other measures undertaken for the full realisation  of the rights herein
recognised.”
“2. State Parties undertake to adopt all  necessary measures and in
particular shall provide budgetary and other resources  for the full and effective
implementation of the rights herein  recognized.”
“Integrate the protocol into the national law”, that’s the  demand of the
time.

GPU President Receives Prestigious  Award
The president of The Gambia Press Union (GPU) and General Manager of  the
Independent, Mr. Madi Ceesay, on Tuesday 21st November received the  prestigious
Committee for the Protection of Journalists (CPS) International  Press Freedom
Award at Waldorf – Astoria in New York City, U.S.A. Mr. Ceesay is  also
Deputy President(s) of the West African Association of Journalists (WAAJ).
The USA in their press release on the occasion noted that the award “is
indeed a fitting award to an independent and deserving journalist.” We publish
below the full text of the speech delivered by Mr. Ceesay at the occasion:
In the name of all the journalists back home in the Gambia, I would first
like to thank the Committee to Protect Journalists, and all those who
contributed to my nomination. I would also like to thank my family for all the  support
they have given me.
Today is a great day in my life as a journalist.  I would like to accept this
prestigious award in the name of all independent  journalists in the Gambia
who continue to work hard despite a very hostile media  environment.
Ladies and gentlemen, let me describe to you the sad climate in  which we
work. In the past few years, we have seen repeated arson attacks on  journalists
and their media houses, without a single suspect being brought  before the
courts. Four media houses have been shut down by government,  including my own
newspaper.
In December 2004, our colleague Deyda Hydara,  editor of The Point newspaper,
was murdered in a drive-by shooting. It was a  shock to all journalists in
the Gambia, who felt a great loss and also a sense  of fear that such a thing
could happen in our country. Government investigators  have not brought anyone
to justice so far. They produced a report that seemed to  blame Deyda for his
own death… and did not address the question of who killed  him.
After my newspaper was shut down and I was imprisoned in March this  year,
several other journalists were also detained, and one journalist has been
missing for more than three months. One of my colleagues from the Independent is
being tried for publishing false information, under a law which could bring a
possible jail sentence.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Gambia is a small country,  and some of you may not
be familiar with it. But our problems are typical of  many African countries,
where the independent press is struggling to hold  governments accountable…
governments which may profess to be democratic but  violate democratic
principles such as press freedom.
Ladies and gentlemen,  Gambia’s embattled independent media desperately needs
support. I call on you to  help us by speaking up when abuses occur. We also
need practical support to  strengthen the Gambian media, so that we will be
better able to investigate  abuses and report on issues of vital public interest
Once again, thanks to  CPJ for this great honor, and thank you all for your
attention.

Farmers’ Association Support
End To Credit  Buying

By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The Commodity Traders’ Association’s (CTA’s)  decision to end the buying of
groundnuts on credit basis has triggered a firm  support by the National
Farmers’ Platforms. In an interview with Foroyaa, Musa  Jawneh, the Platform’s
president, described the move as positive. He noted that  CTA is constituted by
people who have a wealth of experience on groundnut  marketing and their
intervention would remedy the ills that farmers faced in the  past years.
Mr. Jawneh said if the groundnut trade is professionally handled,  its market
can yield a minimum of 800 million dalasis in a year. He pointed out  that
that would create employment and boost the country’s revenue earnings.  Jawneh
also opined that farmers in every district can form an association which  will
be delivering the groundnuts to the buying station and buyers will pay on  the
spot.

Tribute To Mamadi Jabai
A True Servant of The  People

By Suwaibou Touray
Mamadi Jabai, alias Mamadi Kalleh  Jabai, has passed away. He died on the
20th day of November 2006, at the M.R.C  Headquarters in Fajara. Mr. Jabai’s body
was transported to Sutukoba Village in  the Wuli East District of the URD, on
the same day by the MRC staff.
Mr.  Jabai will be remembered for his hard work, his patriotism and love for
people  whom he served with abnegation. This indefatigable man worked for the
department  of education as a teacher from 1976 to 1979. He also worked for
the department  of agriculture from 1979 to 1996. From early 1996, Mr. Jabai
became a staff of  the Medical Research Council, MRC, as a field staff. Up to the
time of his  death, he served the MRC as a field staff. Mamadi was also a
blood donor for  several years.
During his funeral, people expressed their sorrow for the  demise of one of
the most illustrious sons of not only Wuli but of the whole of  the Gambia.
They talked of his kind heartedness, his love for people and the  endless help he
rendered to the sick and the needy.
Honourable Sidia Jatta,  the National Assembly Member for Wuli West, gave a
solemn speech. He indicated  that he usually does not like to speak at funerals
but that Mamadi’s was a  unique one. He said that there are two types of
human beings, i.e. one that  lives and works for oneself and the one that lives
and works for others. He said  that Mamadi was one who lived and worked for
others selflessly; that he used his  time and resources to serve the people. He
said that that is what we consider to  be a good human being who will live in
the hearts and minds of the people  forever and ever.
He posited that those who live and work for themselves  alone cannot be
considered good human beings or there is nothing of significance  they leave behind
for which they would be remembered. He said that Mamadi is not  really dead;
he is more living than some of those who are still living.
Mr.  Kandakasse Juwara, the Chief of Wuli East District, spoke of Mamadi as
indeed a  man of the people. He said that Mamadi did not discriminate. He
served them all  irrespective of political affiliation, tribe, or place of origin.
He said Mamadi  did not keep grudge in him against anybody; that he was never
angry with anybody  or kept any ill feeling against anybody. He said that the
people of Wuli and  indeed the people of The Gambia have really lost a good
human being who will be  hard to replace. He called on people to forgive Mamadi.
Hundreds of people  who converged at the funeral prayed for Mamadi and he was
buried in one of the  cemeteries in Sutukoba.
Mamadi was the National Assembly candidate for the  PDOIS in the Wuli East
Constituency in the 2002 elections. He is survived by two  wives and seven
children. His sickness was unknown to many people until his  death. He was first
admitted at the MRC Health Post in Basse before being  transferred to Fajara.
That is why the announcement of his death struck people  like a thunder bolt
from the blue.
They cried and fainted as the news of his  death reached Wuli. Some ask
themselves whether they would ever have a  replacement for Mamadi.

Fire Ravages Shop
By Musa  Krubally
The shop of one Ebrima Njie was gutted by fire on Friday, 17th  November. The
said shop is situated at Jobe Street in Serrekunda. The owner  sells second
hand clothes in the said shop.
According to eyewitnesses, the  fire started between 9 and 9.30pm. They said
they noticed brightness inside the  shop, and this was followed by smoke from
the roof. They said they rushed to  break the door, but it took time for them
to break the lock. They indicated that  while they were making effort to open
the door, one Badou Jobe drove to the  Service Department. People from the
neighbourhood managed to break the lock and  took out some of the goods before
they caught fire at the scene. Asked what  caused the fire, Sackou Manneh who is
residing in the compound told me that it  was caused by faulty electric
wires. The owner of the shop Ebrima Njie disclosed  to me that the damaged items
are estimated to cost one hundred and twenty  thousand dalasis. Anyone who
wishes to assist can contact him on his mobile at  9985639.

Sackings, Promotions And Arrests
By Yaya Dampha
An  official statement from the office of the President on Wednesday informed
the  nation of the arrest and detention of the former Permanent Secretary at
the  Department of State for Works and Infrastructure Mr. Lamin Sanneh and
Karamo  Jaiteh the Managing Director of Gambia Road Authority. According to the
release,  the two were arrested for economic crimes. It is purported that Mr.
Sanneh  was  found with over four hundred and forty-nine thousand four hundred
dalasis which was concealed in a steel cabinet found under his table and Mr.
Karamo Jaiteh was also allegedly found with twenty-seven thousand four
hundred  and twenty dalasis, also hidden in a safe.
In a separate development, Messr.  Kebba Faye, Sarana Hydara, Ebou Secka,
Ansuma Fadera, Lamin Keita,. Ouranic  Barry and Momodou Senghore who work at the
aforesaid Department were all  arrested by the security forces and are
currently being detained at the state  Central Prison for alleged economic crimes.
According to the same statement  the Secretary of State for the Interior,
Rtd. Colonel Babucarr Jatta was  relieved of his duties on Wednesday, 2006.
According to the report, Jatta is  replaced by Major Ousman Sonko, the former
Inspector General of Police. I.G.P  Sonko is also replaced by Musa Mboob who was
the Director General of Immigration  who was recently arrested and detained is
now the Director General of  Immigration Department. Major Ousman Sonko
confirmed his appointment as the new  SoS for the Interior. Musa Mboob has also
confirmed his appointment as the IGP.  Rtd. Colonel Babucarr Jatta could not be
reached for comments.

NIA  Diamond Case Suffered Setback
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The protracted legal  case involving the state and six ex-officers of the
National Intelligence Agency  (NIA) has yet again suffered another setback due to
the appointment of the then  presiding Magistrate Kebba Sanyang, to the
position of Attorney General.
The  six ex-officers are in the persons of Lamin Drammeh, Basiru Jabang,
Lamin  Sanneh, Kajali Jawara Fabakary Barrow and Salimina Drammeh. They have been
dragged to court by the state for allegedly robbing two Germans of their
properties and money. These properties are two mobile phones, eight diamond
pieces and cash amounting to 206,000 US dollars. According to judicial officers
the matter is deferred until a new magistrate is appointed to take up the
case.

Women’s Protocol: A New Dawn for African Women
By  Modou Nyang
The entry in to force of the AU Protocol on the Rights of Women  in Africa
heralds a new dawn in the lives of African women, the African Centre  for
Democracy and Human Rights Studies ACDHRS, said. In a media briefing in
commemoration of the 1st anniversary of the entering in to force of the protocol  of the
African Charter on the Rights of Women in Africa at it’s headquarters in  Kerr
Sereign, the ACDHRS indicated that the protocol enforces the realisation of
women’s rights in Africa disregarding gender stereotypes and other forms of
discrimination against women.
Mrs. Hannah Forster the Executive Director of  the African Centre in her
speech said governments should put in place laws that  are enshrined in the
protocol, noting that it is a big challenge to ensure  ratification and
domestication; adding that women and men should be able to live  in harmony.
Commissioner Angelo Melo special rapporteur on the rights of  women in Africa
in a statement said that African women now have a legal  instrument to claim
for justice.
The Gambia ratified the protocol in  September 2005 with reservations but
with the engagement of civil society groups  in the dissemination of its
contents, the reservations were withdrawn in May  this year. However 20 countries out
of the 53 member states of the African Union  have ratified the protocol that
took effect on 25th November last year.
The  commemoration of the coming into force of the Women’s protocol coincides
with  the commencement of the 16days activism against gender-based violence,
which  will run to the 10th of next month.