GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 07:36:49 +0000
We say to Jammeh of course security is paramount, but not the type you
advocate, the type of security that would allow blatant violations of
people's basic rights . The type of security we envisaged is already
enshrined in the laws of the Gambia and  all we need is the law enforcement
agencies to enforce such laws and there will be no qualms. If for instance
someone is accused of any wrong doind he or she must face the due process of
law and I do not think any just person will have a problem with that, but if
the security forces focus all their efforts and resources onto political
issues , naturally the unwanted armed bandits will have a chance to
multiply, because they would not be the priority target. I hope there will
be a complete ceasation of arbitrary arrests it does more harm than good.
The respect that Jammeh could possibly command abroad will surely be
undermined by constant reports of arrests of journalist, human rights
activists etc. This whole of bravado must give way to understanding and
maturity, after all Jammeh is been at the helm for nearly a decade that
should enough schooling for any one, it is pointless to be vindictive.
Respect comes about through generosity of heart and no hollowed pharases
such as reconcilliation withou any concrete material gain. Gambians have
vote you now all they want is to get on with the job and spare them the
constant herat ache of who the next victim would be. Mr President YOU CAN
FORM A PRESIDENTIAL COMMISSION ON GOOD GOVERNANCE COMPOSED OF VERY EMINENT
AND DISTINGUISHED PERSONALITIES SUCH AS LENRY PETERS, RELIGIOUS CLERICS,
POLITICIANS, CIVIC SOCIETY, TO MOVE THE SHIP OF STATE SMOOTHLY. As we wish
you a happy Ramaadan WE hope you will heed to our sincere and genuine
concerns. This can only enhance your respectability it shall not diminish it
in any way