GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Solomon Sylva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:42:22 -0500
Thanks Momodou for your thinking and ideas.

I believe that being together as a community, can achieve a lot for our people. Just look at the respect the Hispanic, Haitian, Cuban,
Italian, American Indian, Irish communities, and others, receive. But for us Africans, in general, what respect and recognition do we
get, comparable to these listed above, in terms of Governments and International Laws. Some, the Ethiopians and South Africans
are in better shape than most.

It is a big shame that we cannot get over the hump despite all the efforts being made over the years. We have to start somewhere
and that would be getting ourselves, our houses, our communities together. We are known for our talky-talky and not worky-worky
attitudes, when that time comes. Many in our communities in Africa and abroad are followers, many are there to destroy as far as it
does not go their ways, so they would rather not see it happen even.

Not to say that everyone is the problem. There some who are working all their guts out, day in and day out, all over Africa and the
Diaspora to help make it happen. Those I salute everyday. It would take less time and resources if we can put together all that we have
and abilities.

Definitely togetherness, shall make us stronger Gambians. I am optimist and hoping it to happen quick.

For our fellows that are unfortunate with this immigration issue, as I stated earlier, we all should contribute one or another, for it definitely
has hit our home, Gambia. To my understanding, here in Atlanta, a committee is being setup to handle all these emergency issues and hopefully
tied to the Community organization that currently exists and is working on it aims and objectives that should benefit all in the long run.

The more the BETTER! Keep up the SPIRIT! So fellow Gambian communities who have not started, please do so!

Peace,
King Solomon
Smiling Coast Production and Entertainment
www.gambian.com