GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:24:48 -0500
Tombong, I hope your statements are directed to people like Musa Jeng that
used vulgar, private anatomical terms to put their points across. Jeng
should be ashamed of himself for addressing Hamjatta the way he did. When
grown men like Jeng address young men like Hamjatta in that fashion, Jeng
solicits disrespect from others. What Hamjatta has achieved in his very
young life, can only be the dreams of many Gambians. I bet that by the age
Hamjatta finished reading people like Marx, Jeng was in Kaur climbing trees
or flying kites for recreation.

In Jeng's ill-advised piece, he mentioned nothing about the topic under
discussion (the London Briefing). Instead, he was trying to compare Hamjatta
and Halifa Sallah. If Jeng even had respect for Sallah, he would not try to
compare his achievements to those of Hamjatta. Only God knows what Hamjatta
can achieve in his quest to liberate our people, by the time he reaches
Halifa Sallah's age.

There are grown and matured men like Sidi Sanneh that still contribute to
the discussions in this forum. You do not hear people calling them names. I
for one would welcome contributions from people like Dr. Nyang and Dr.
Sallah. They have a lot to contribute to our society. I do not think that
any sane Gambian will attack those men simply because they touch on subjects
that people disagree with. But I can also assure you that if they come here
and try to convince us about certain untruths about Yaya and his gang, we
will not sit by and not say our piece. People have to be accountable. Just
like you will feel offended if someone lie about you, some of us also feel
offended if people purport to lie about the Gambian people. I do not think
that you are advocating for us to (in the name of 'democracy') swallow
garbage from people simply because they have the title 'Dr.' in front of
their names. Those days are gone and they will never return.

For the people that feel nostalgia about those days, they can go anywhere
they want to peddle their lies. I for one do not miss their absence from
G_L. I agree with you that we ought to be able to discuss our differences in
a respectful manner. I have always shown respect to people that respect me.
I wished that the decorum you want for G_L was the same decorum you want for
your TV station and radio station. In other words, when Yaya cursed our
parents and threatened to bury his opponents six feet deep, I wished you
stood up to him and edit out his uncouth language.
KB