GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:15:25 +0000
Editorial: Delusions and Realities

The shock and dismay at the fall of Baghdad seen in parts of the Arab world
seriously damages Arab credibility. Like it or not, perceptions are what
matters in this media-dominated world — and the perception that the rest of
the world gets from Arab anger at the easy overthrow of Saddam Hussein and
resentment at the sight of Iraqis welcoming Americans is that Arabs do not
care about the decades of oppression suffered by the Iraqis.

It sends the message that they supported Saddam Hussein and that, while on
the side of justice when it comes to the Palestinians, they do not care
about tyranny if it is an Arab who is the tyrant, even when other Arabs are
the ones being tyrannized.

These are dangerous, self-defeating views to project. The idea that Saddam
Hussein could be a modern Arab Napoleon — sweeping forth, crushing the
Israelis and bringing about Arab unity — was a delusion then and forever
remained a delusion. Tyranny and freedom can never go hand in hand. Justice
for Palestinians can never be built on injustice for Iraqis.

A world that sees Arab dismay at the dictator’s defeat will not be
sympathetic. Even if part of the present anger is directed as much at
Saddam’s regime for its deceitful boasts that it could withstand American
might when in the end his army melted into thin air and proved little more
than a paper tiger, there has to be a change in popular Arab attitudes.
Distrust of US foreign policy is no excuse. Instead of dismay at Saddam
Hussein’s downfall, Arabs should stand side by side with the Iraqis and
celebrate the removal of their oppressor. That goes for Arab governments as
well.

If not, there will be scorn and derision from the outside world, even from
those who were opposed to this war in the first place. Iraqis too will not
thank fellow Arabs. The Arab world may end up being more divided then ever
as a result. Yesterday’s impromptu demonstration in Baghdad against
Al-Jazeera TV station, accused by demonstrators of having been pro-Saddam,
suggests that that may be already happening.

The fall of Baghdad is no reason for loss of Arab pride. There is no
national Arab humiliation. This is not a war between Arabs and the US, or
between a faithful Muslim state and a crusading, militant Christian West. It
is a war between a dangerous tyrant — Saddam Hussein — whom Iraqis are glad
to see the back of, and the US, whose motives for carrying it out are
dubious.

That is not to ignore potential future dangers for Iraq — the danger that
the US will be loath to hand over control to the Iraqis. A stable,
law-abiding Iraq, too, may take considerable time to rebuild. But that the
US involvement might possibly lead to occupation is not to say that it
definitely will. That stability may take time to achieve is not to say that
tyranny should not have been overthrown.

Iraq is not the black-and-white issue presented by some Arab politicians and
people in the media — of Zionist-supporting Americans invading and occupying
an independent Arab state. The issues are far more complex. To look at
things in black and white rather than deal with complexities is blinkered —
and those who are blinkered will never see the real picture. The Arab world
needs to be more sophisticated in its judgments.

Source:ArabNews.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.