GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:04:54 +0000
Soffie, thanks for your efforts.  Folks, we are or were all pissed off with
the illegal arrest, detention, and sentencing of Waa.  That is a natural
reaction and we are justified as such.  However, that alone is not enough to
fight the injustices we face in our own country.  In addition to the
expression of anger and frustration at our violation by these criminals, and
writing articles and informing the world about Murder Inc., we also need to
pitch in financially to defend and assist the falsely accused and
railroaded, in this case, Waa Juwara.  I join Soffie and NDAM to appeal to
you to contribute towards this fund because it is the right thing to do.
Waa said the same things we have been saying and continue to say - that the
leaders lead the masses in the streets to demand a better and just
government.  Peaceful demonstration by the citizens is an extension of the
democratic process and we will continue to demand that and I urge the
remaining of Waa's colleagues to pay heed.  A good leader does what the
people need and demand, not what you think is good for the people.  It is
precisely that kind of thinking that brought us Yaya for ten years and
counting.

Good citizens of Gambia and friends of Gambia, let us not let Waa's fight go
in vain.  We need to fight for his release for he is one of our voices in
that country, that is not afraid to say what he meant.  To Halifa Sallah,
Sidia Jatta, Hamat Bah, Ousainou Darbo, and Omar Jallow, what informs your
politics?  The executive, judiciary, and legislature (99.99%) are all
working in collusion against the citizens, have you noticed that?  If so,
what are you doing or intend to do to stop this trend?  You'll have educated
the masses, talked to the international community and journalists, relied on
a non-existent judiciary and legislative processes, pleaded, coaxed, and
joked with the murderer and thief himself and still have nothing to show the
people in terms of inroads or progress for the nation.  All this time people
have been advising you'll of the futility of your exercise.  This struggle
to change Gambia for good is not going to be won in the courts, Assembly,
preaching for calm and go easy strategy, or coaxing a criminal to the table
of national deception, but to bring the electors to confront the elected or
those that cheated their way to be elected.  Folks, when we change the
system, we can then meaningfully change the wretchedness of our situation.
I hope we do the right thing and contribute to this fund.  I also hope that
rest of the alternative leadership will seen the wisdom in fighting with the
people.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou