GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin DRAMMEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:53:11 -0400
Please help achive this goal by signing this petition and forwarding
it those not on the list  . THANK YOU  -

Jubilee 2000 is a global movement to celebrate the millennium by
 cancelling the unpayable debts of the world's poorest countries by the
 end of 2000. The debts are unjust, unpayable and have killed too many
 people. Millions of people around the world are linking together to say
 enough is enough. The campaign is being promoted in over 120
 countries. In the UK, 90 organisations have got together to promote the
 campaign including charities, trade unions, religious groups, black
 organisations and the music industry. Key figures like Muhammad Ali,
 Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama and Bono are all saying "Drop the
 Debt!"

  The chain email

      Cancel the Debt

      Sign this Jubilee 2000 email petition now. Tell the world's most powerful leaders to cancel the
      unpayable debts of the world's poorest countries by the year 2000.

      Rich nations take back $9 in debt repayments for every $1 given in aid. That is money that could
      be spent on health and education. The UN estimates that debt relief could save the lives of 7
      million children every year.

      The campaign for debt cancellation is realistic, affordable and achievable. But we need to keep up
      the pressure and that's where you come in. Your signature will help make this the world's largest
      petition which will be handed in at the G8 Summit of the most powerful nations in Cologne in June
      1999. Sign the petition now and make the millennium a celebration for everyone.

      Jubilee 2000 needs to collect 22 million signatures for the world's largest petition. Chain letters
      have traditionally been an effective way of spreading information fast. With email, it is even easier.
      At a click of a button we can get the petition out to hundreds of people. If they send it to all their
      contacts, we have the potential to reach a vast network of people with information about the
      campaign. Play your part by firstly sending an email petition signature to us, if you have not already
      done so, and secondly by copying (submitting) all the text in this box into a new email to all your
      friends and contacts.

      TAKE ACTION NOW!

      1. Sign the Petition yourself. Send an email to [log in to unmask] . Put your name, city
      and country in the SUBJECT and copy and paste the following petition text into the message:

       We, the undersigned,

            believe that the start of the new millennium should be a time to give hope to the impoverished
            people of the world.
            To make a fresh start, we believe it right to put behind us the mistakes made by both lenders
            and borrowers, and to cancel the backlog of unpayable debts of the most impoverished
            nations.
            We call upon the leaders of lending nations to write off these debts by the year 2000. We
            ask them to take effective steps to prevent such high levels of debt building up again. We
            look for a new beginning to celebrate the millennium.

      2. Get your friends to sign the petition - select all the text from this box into a new email, put
      Cancel the debt in the SUBJECT and then send the email to all your friends and contacts asking
      them to sign too.

      For all the latest news and information on the international movement that is Jubilee 2000, see our
      web site - http://www.jubilee2000uk.org