GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:01:45 +0100
From: The Fugee
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: UPCnet ; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Mwananchi] Museveni outlines NRM achievements?

Chifu wa wapi?

What achievements have been listed?

What is this restoration of Constitutionalism he is talking about? That a bunch of megalomaniacal people decided to overthrow the Constitutionally elected government by unconstitutional means leading to destruction and devastation where they had reconnoitred and staged the rebellion so as to institutionalise "aims and objectives" which stated: -

"THE ESTABLISHMENT, BY FORCE IF NECESSARY OF A ONE PARTY "POPULAR   DEMOCRACY" IN UGANDA UNDER THE NRM."

This desire for a one Party dictatorship has undergone many cosmetic changes such as calling it "broadbased all inclusive government" to "no Party movement democracy" but the essence has never changed and as such we have a one Party dictatorship.

The Odoki Constitutional Review Commission carried out its consultations when as required by the NRM/NRA REVOLUTION there was a situation where "ONLY THE NRM IS ALLOWED TO OPERATE IN THE COUNTRY SUCH THAT THE OTHER POLITICAL PARTIES, I.E., UPC, DP, CP, AND NLP WILL CEASE TO EXIST AS REQUIRED BY THE REVOLUTION." While the UPDF then known as the NRA were required to "FIGHT[S] FOR AND DEFEND[S] THE REVOLUTION  AT ALL TIMES AND AT ALL COSTS".

Democracy was now "TO BE DEFINED AT ALL TIMES SOLELY BY NATIONAL RESISTANCE MOVEMENT AND THE HIGH COMMAND OF THE NATIONAL RESISTANCE ARMY." While the fundamentally recognised human rights and freedoms were now "POLICIES REGARDING SUCH MATTERS AS HUMAN RIGHTS, SOCIAL, POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS ETC ETC WILL BE DETERMINED AND FORMULATED SOLELY BY THE NRM AND THE HIGH COMMAND OF NRA. SUCH POLICIES WILL ULTIMATELY BE PASSED BY NRC AND ENFORCED BY NRA."

All these matters were "Constitutionalised" since the Law for Constituent Assembly did not allow for competition and were held under the one Party model. The Uganda Constitutional Court recently declared that the "Movement" another name for the NRM operated as a political Party and not a system which it claimed to have become. It has since registered as a political Party now known as the NRM-O.

It is now almost a year when Museveni claimed though not to have seen the light but was bowing to donor pressure and had now recognised that Ugandans have differing political opinions which find expression through voluntary political associations commonly known as political Parties. The deception can be seen in the fact that rather than returning the rights and freedoms which the NRM/NRA took and purported to lord over, the main thrust of the Constitutional changes are for the removal of the Two Term limit for Presidents.

The Supreme Court has now also ruled that the Law under which a Referendum was purportedly held which is supposed to have "Constitutionally" ushered in the "movement political system" which as seen earlier was a "one Party democracy", then "broadbased all inclusive government" then a "no party system" and now a system which has a state funded "Movement Secretariat" with only ONE registered political Party where all other Parties even when registered are not allowed to operate outside of the Capital, Kampala.

If this is the sort of Constitutionalism which deserves praises, I am either totally mad or that you are heartlessly hypocritical or just being cynical.

If you swallowed the partisan/patriotic army bull***t then you need to look at the Proclamation the NRA made in 1986.

Proclamation No. 1 of 1986 states:

"WHEREAS on the 26th day of January, 1986, the National Resistance Army[NRA], for reasons given in the Statement to the National Resistance Army[NRA] and the National Resistance Movement[NRM] on that day, TOOK over the powers of the Government of the Republic of Uganda and vested those powers in the National Resistance Council[NRC]:"

The NRM/NRA REVOLUTION document defines the following organs as:

     2.1     NRM - POLITICAL WING OF THE REVOLUTION.

       2.2    NRA - MILITARY WING OF THE REVOLUTION.

             2.1 (a)    NATIONAL RESISTANCE COUNCIL (NRC)
                                = LEGISLATIVE ORGAN OF THE REVOLUTION AT NATIONAL LEVEL

        = MEMBERSHIP BY APPOINTMENT, ALTHOUGH INDIRECTLY ELECTED MEMBERS OF RC V MAY ALSO SIT IN THE NRC.
So when the partisan military took over the powers of the government it gave its reasons to itself and to its political wing and vested those powers in its legislative organ. This situation continued until the enactment of the 1995 Constitution. Under the 1995 Constitution Article 271(1) carried it forward. The Constitutional provisions states: -

"Notwithstanding the provisions of article 69 of this Constitution, the first presidential, parliamentary, local government and other public elections after the promulgation of this Constitution shall be held under the movement political system."

Clearly this should show you that there was in fact "no change" (Museveni's campaign slogan) from what previously obtained albeit a little semantics here and there.

Article 69 of the 1995 Constitution describes the "political system" which the people of Uganda can adopt but supporters of any other "system" were restricted from any political activities as they still are. Article 271(3) sets out the provisions for a referendum which was purportedly held in 2000. Purportedly because the Supreme Court has annulled the 'law' under which it was held and now throws into doubt the validity of the one-Party elections held in 2001.

Constitutionalising dictatorship is not what we should be doing.

The Fugee