GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 09:52:17 +0200
On 23 May 00, at 5:54, Ndey Jobarteh wrote:
> The farmers are faced with no income due to the lack of groundnut sales whiles
> Jammeh is still building and developing Kanilal at the expense of the nation.
> It is very alarming that farmers are still asked to pay tax and their laons
> when they cannot even purchase food for sustainability.

Sister Ndey,
To prove what you are saying, the GRTS news of today on
www.qanet.gm states that "the local government
officer at the Kuntaur Area Council Babadinding Jobarteh has expressed dissatisfaction
at the rate of tax collection within the division.
Speaking at a review meeting on the activities of the council,  Mr Jobarteh revealed that
over fifty percent of rates and taxes are yet to be collected in his area.
He called on chiefs and Alkalolus to embark on a vigorous tax collection campaign
and advised them to take legal action against defaulters."

This is the second year that farmers could not sell their groundnuts
in this area and other parts of the country.
I wonder how they expect these farmers to be able to pay their
taxes when they still have not received any money from their only
source of income that is groundnuts?

Momodou Camara