GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:14:23 +0000
Movement for restoration of democracy in Gambia [NY] wrote:

"When Gassa forwarded the first, two-part series on the budget, I questioned
the silence/whereabouts of the opposition parties. Those of us in the
Diaspora, especially in the USA, understand the nitpicking, lobbying by
interest groups, scholarly analysis, made for TV spins and spurns by
political pundits, that showcases, upon presenting a budget, both local and
national. Since PDOIS had always been a pioneer in enlightening the Gambian
masses of political and economic issues at stake, it would be appreciative
if, a challenge is made to some of the facts and figures portrayed on the
voluminous budget speech".

Whereas it would be very good to the input of the opposition parties,
particularly the PDOIS, I think we would be expecting too much from them
considering the fact that they are busy campaigning for the forthcoming
National assembly elections.

I would have thought that those constantly accused the government of
"misplaced priorities" and not having a clue as to how to lead us and
calling them "mental Midgets" and "embeciles" would have been the first to
tell us how they would have mapped a way forward for the country. I am of
the strong opinion that the government has done a very good diagnosis of our
problems and are implementing very suitable strategies for the development
of the country. What Gambians need to do is to objectively look inward into
themselves and see how individually we can all make effective contribution
in this very difficult endevor. The entrepeneural skills of the average
Gambian needs to be developed and our attitude towards work and our extended
family system needs to be seriously looked at again. Attitudinal change must
be started and nortured so that we move away from a set-up where less than
20 % of a typical family actually produce wealth while the remaining 80 %
just consume.

Have a good day, Gassa.