GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:48:36 CEST
Senegal Celebrates 40th Independence Anniversary
April 4, 2000

DAKAR, Senegal (PANA) - Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade, sworn-in four
days ago as his country's third president, Tuesday in Dakar, attended a
colourful military parade to mark the country's 40th independence
anniversary celebrations.

The occasion was Wade's first public function since he took over from former
President Abdou Diouf whom he defeated in presidential elections held 19
March, two decades after Wade first took a shot at the presidency.

On arrival at Independence Square, Wade was welcomed by Prime Minister
Moustapha Niasse, and the army chief of staff, Gen. Pathe Seck.

Senior officials, among them the speaker of the national assembly, Cheikh
Abdoul Khadre Cissokho, the President of the Senate, Abdoulaye Diack, and
cabinet ministers of the new government appointed the previous night,
attended the ceremony which was also marked by the conferrement of national
honours on prominent citizens.

In a message to the nation Monday night, Wade reaffirmed his determination
to effect changes in the conduct of state business and to strengthen
Senegalese democracy.

He said he would ensure that the executive arm of government work
hand-in-hand with parliament "in conditions of freedom."

"I am confident in the professional qualities of my Prime Minister,
Moustapha Niasse, whom I have known for several years now," he said in a
radio and television broadcast.

By urging the members of the government "to display greater virtue," he
denounced the former regime's "improvisations and approximations," stressing
that he knows "what he wants and where to get it."

"I will not tolerate more or less practices of corruption and misuse in
whatever form. I want these practices, which in my mind are bygones, to be
banned from Senegalese territory," Wade said.

In this respect, he announced that he had decided to grant immunity to Diouf
and his family, adding that his government was going to conduct an audit of
the state and its bodies.

"It is important to shed light on past management by going as far into time
as the law permits," he said.

He stressed his determination to rely on the "indefatigable" energy of the
youth and on the support of women and business captains.

Reasserting his "Pan-Africanist" commitment, the Senegalese leader added
that he was ready to put himself in the service of the continent with a view
to giving or undertaking mediation efforts in the name of peace.