GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:07:03 -0000
Gambia-L: (writing in a hurry)

The situation in The Gambia, clearly, is now "in extremis", as they say in
Latin.  Having sacked Bishop Solomon Tilewa Johnson, the Chairman of the
Independent Electoral Commission (a body which is supposed to be independent
of and autonomous from government influence), Jammeh’s latest actions have
now become "the straw which broke the camel’s back".

Commentators on The Gambia were already citing Yahya Jammeh’s clear
intentions (to perpetuate his rule), but which political commentator could
have predicted that Jammeh would be so up-front in putting down the leaders
of the IEC? Bishop Tilewa Johnson and Saja Fatty have been shown the door in
no uncertain fashion, and one wonders what will happen next!

It is very telling that Jammeh could feel free to sack Bishop Johnson:
there are far-reaching implications of this action, and there can be no
doubt that Jammeh now considers The Gambia his oyster: that he prevails as
the "king": that he perceives The Gambia as "his property".  Jammeh
considers that he may subjugate Gambian citizens without fear of the law:
that he is omnipotent.

It is a daily affront to our liberty, our freedom and our democratic rights
that Jammeh feels free to act in these despotic ways:  that he feels that
the way ahead is clear for him to deny us our rights as citizens.  Jammeh
is, in fact, the type of leader who wouldn’t hesitate, for a minute, to sell
a portion of our wonderful country, to the highest bidder, if the need has
definitely arisen.

The man is greedy and not concerned with the overall well being of our
nation: he is rather more concerned to maintain his own self-interests:  to
ensure that he is the chief beneficiary in terms of money and influence.
With Jammeh at the helm, we are on the verge of becoming a chaotic and
insubstantial nation within Africa.  Jammeh continues to destroy the
intrinsic good in our country:  he is subverting every positive aspect, and
is bringing The Gambia into worldwide disrepute.

One wonders what the future will hold for our country.  Who can possibly
believe (given his actions) that Jammeh wants free and fair independent
elections within the next year?  It seems more likely that Jammeh will now
seek to install his "puppets" at the IEC, to replace Bishop Johnson and
others, in order for him to steal the forthcoming elections before our very
eyes. What hope then for free and fair elections?

My personal concern is that the Independent Electoral Commission is no
longer going to be Independent:  Jammeh’s interference has put paid to any
semblance of independence.  With government interference at the highest
levels of the IEC, what degree of support can this institution expect from
the populace?  There will always be a huge measure of mistrust and
suspicion.

Jammeh is doing everything in his power to ensure that his regime will
continue on into the future:  with the destabilisation of the IEC, and the
restraints which are increasingly being placed on the opposition parties in
The Gambia, the outlook for The Gambia is bleak indeed.  Right now, before
our very own eyes, Jammeh is already attempting to influence next year’s
election results before the electoral process has even started. Gambians,
therefore, have every right to be suspicious and demanding of truthful
answers.

There can be no turning back:  as concerned citizens, we must meet the
problems of the forthcoming months head on.  We have to do our hardest to
ensure that if the elections are going to be held, then they must be freely
and fairly conducted, and that the results truly reflect the wishes of The
Gambian majority. Gambians need to come out into the open and declare their
dissatisfaction with the tyrannical and repressive nature of the present
regime.

We also need to be discussing freely and openly, what each of us may do to
contribute to the restoration of full democracy in The Gambia.  We also need
to be calling directly for support from the international community, but in
reality, the bulk of the work must be done by Gambians.  Only by being
proactive can we seek to reduce the power base of the APRC regime.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK

PS: Karamba Touray - I saw the piece you wrote on Tamsir Jasseh, the
dismissed deputy IGP, and I know you wrote this in good faith. You
appreciated all that Jasseh was attempting to do in the Police Force, and,
as a consequence, you wrote a favourable and positive article on Jasseh.
Now Jasseh has gone to The Observer newspaper to disassociate himself from
your comments:  this is his right, but his motives are questionable.

It is for this reason that I have decided that I, for one, will not now
defend these individuals who go and work for the APRC, in any way, and then
fall into disfavour with the regime. Intelligent people like Tamsir Jasseh,
have foreknowledge of the machinations of the Jammeh regime and all that it
stands for, but still join up for whatever reasons. If they join the APRC at
their own volition, well, let them face the consequences.

Our primary duty – as concerned Gambians - is to defend the interest of the
people of The Gambia, rather than the interest of misguided individuals who
go and join this barbaric Jammeh regime. All the same, Karamba, keep up the
good work you are doing. Despite what Jasseh reportedly said, we know that
your integrity is unquestionable.